X-Wing Helmet Blast Shield Markings

shenphong

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With the Blu-Rays out of the original trilogy, some clear shots have been arising of some of our favorite items. One of those items, to me, has always been the blast shield helmet. Thanks to BradleyFett, a great prop will be available to many of those who also enjoy the same prop soon. My question though is what are those markings on the right side of the helmet from the screen shots? It seems that the red markings at the top are the same, but I'm wondering if both sides of the helmet use the same text. Anyone out there with a conclusive answer? Does the helmet just mirror itself? Hoping to get the most accurate looking prop I can get and hoping this will help other builders later on as well.

Here are some shots to help out:

ANH_HD_blastHelml01.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet3.png

helmet4.png

helmet5.png

helmet6.png

helmet7.png

Love that helmet! :love

Thanks for the bigger pics, they're way better than the ones I gave TPE here in OZ to work with back in 07-08 to do one for me...

BH-2.jpg

That was using his old moulds, I'll get him to do me a new one using his current ones and get him to update the decals too.

Again, thanks for the pics :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

Glad to be of help...still trying to decide if I should paint the helmet white first when working on it. Since the kit I'm picking up may yellow, going to try to avoid any erroneous situations that may happen later on.

GREAT info!! I would LOVE to see a definitive screen cap for that right side. Clearly, the top "flames" are identical on both sides. The scribbles on the lower parts could be as well.

IF I ever get my hands on a rebel helmet kit I am so making one of these, this is by far my favorite helmet configuration, its the most iconic to me.

I've always wondered how this "blast shield" thing was supposed to work. Is it to protect the wearer's eyes from blindess during an explosion? Because explosions, as Michael Bay would tell you, are often sudden and multiple and I don't see how someone would have time to flip down the visor quickly enough.
Not to mention it would make you blind anyway, which isn't a good thing while flying an X-Wing.

I've often wondered how to recreate that weathering. I think most of the recreations I've seen have gotten it wrong. I think Yakcam's version is one of the best I've seen so far.

Here's some quick shots in where I think the scribbles are the same used on both sides of the helmet and that the several makers of the decals like DeLuck's are still correct in the orientation of their decal.

helmetdecal.png

The weathering is also what bugs me. I've yet to see someone really recreate it, I've only ever weathered small models, but the blast shield helmet looks like they weathered it with a sponge or something, with smears here and there. There also doesn't seem to be a liner on the edges that the other X-wing helmets have as the shots show it is just the bare helmet.

The weathering just looks like a blackwash. Easy to do. I've done similar finishes with some black and grey acrylic paint and windex. Gives a good grimy finish.

Liking this thread.

I'm interested in other thoughts for weathering and paint colors.

To me it looks like the stripes on top are 1/4" red (same color as top insignia)

Also, I think the color is the standard "Floquil's REEFER WHITE"

Love this helmet. I thought it was the star wars equivalent of a welder's mask but that doesn't make sense either really.

-den

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back