X Wing - Hasbro Hero - 1/18 Scale - Red 5 - Conversion

yaris

Sr Member
Finally got the Red 5 colors on, shorter video, a few more build pics AND music. :D

If you have one of these, you know how their size is most impressive ;) There's a bucket load of work in converting it, because you basically have to throw most of the wing/engines/cannons away and build from scratch....but I consider it was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: X Wing - Hasbro Hero - Red 5 - Conversion

Hey @yaris , cool little video update , thanks for sharing .

I purchased one of these of eBay late last year $96 - $98 AUD , with the intentions of attempting mods on it after ( being inspired ) seeing threads of such , by yourself and @Pcoz .
Now ,... I’m thinking maybe not after all ... :facepalm
The amount of work , skill , knowledge and dedication that needs to go into doing this , scares the the hell out of me - not to mention the probable expense too !

Those facts just increase the amount of admiration I feel towards those who have brilliantly succeeded in converting this ‘ toy ‘ into the beautiful finished pieces of art they are .

Congratulations again ,

:cheersGed

Re: X Wing - Hasbro Hero - Red 5 - Conversion

Hey @yaris , cool little video update , thanks for sharing .

I purchased one of these of eBay late last year $96 - $98 AUD , with the intentions of attempting mods on it after ( being inspired ) seeing threads of such , by yourself and @Pcoz .
Now ,... I’m thinking maybe not after all ... :facepalm
The amount of work , skill , knowledge and dedication that needs to go into doing this , scares the the hell out of me - not to mention the probable expense too !

Those facts just increase the amount of admiration I feel towards those who have brilliantly succeeded in converting this ‘ toy ‘ into the beautiful finished pieces of art they are .

Congratulations again ,

:cheersGed

Thx Ged for the comments :D I know many folks have this toy, so I thought when I scratch built the parts, I'll mold and cast them, not just for me, but so others could get the parts in resin all done and it would make their conversions easier. I've had a lot of people ask me to sell them the casts, especially from the original YT video, but here's the problem....

Casting the parts alone is A LOT of work! :eek...there are 20 individual parts...!!!...I thought about making that easier by creating multiple molds.....but it's just sooo time consuming, it's just not viable....PLUS people still need to build the internal wing mount, the wings themselves and so on and on....

There is a seller who makes the entire wings and everything else, but it's super expensive....like $500 or something like that.

Like you said, I paid $95 for this toy when they came out and they are still serious money if you look for them.

The toy really has only 2 redeeming qualities....Size (it's frigging huge) and the fuselage is quiet accurate (IMO)......there really is no easy way to convert it to open wings...but as replica prop builders....it's totally enjoyable....;)

Last edited:
So have you completely scrapped the idea of making resin parts? I'm in the process of learning how to prototype with a 3D printer and casting parts for my custom builds I want to do.

I wanted to do one of these myself someday, but right now the parts and even the toy is pretty cost prohibitive.

I wanted to do one of these myself someday, but right now the parts and even the toy is pretty cost prohibitive.

I see the 1/18 x-wing on the used market pretty cheap, like $10-15 range. If you are in the US, check shopgoodwill.com and search ‘Star Wars’. Usually a bunch of them will come up, as well as many other SW toys which could be used as a base for a conversion. They go inexpensively.

I see the 1/18 x-wing on the used market pretty cheap, like $10-15 range. If you are in the US, check shopgoodwill.com and search ‘Star Wars’. Usually a bunch of them will come up, as well as many other SW toys which could be used as a base for a conversion. They go inexpensively.

Thank you so much!

So have you completely scrapped the idea of making resin parts?

Yes, every time I consider it......it's just not fun.

Great link for US people...no such luck here in Oz......they are ridiculous money on the big auction site...as bad as when they came out new.

Nicely done

Thx

That is excellent!

Sorry if this was covered along the way, but did you have to use some kind of adhesion promoter to get things glued/painted? What type of glue/primer did you use?

That is excellent!
Thx ;)

What type of glue/primer did you use?

This plastic toy is made from HDPE. It's a very waxy plastic often used in the food industry. If you have a plastic bread board at home, it's most likely made from HDPE.

I tested many different primers and sanding methods, but I found the best way to get glue and paint to stick was wiping all surfaces with acrylic lacquer thinners. As I use acrylic lacquer paint for all my work, it was a no brainer.

Acrylic lacquer thinners/paint are seriously toxic...so make sure you wear the appropriate PPE.

Thanks again JKirkon. I managed to score one off the Goodwill site. WOW... man is this thing big! The box it showed up in was 34"x36"

I vaguely remember seeing these in the store but I believe the wings were off in the box so it looked a lot smaller. I'm honestly not sure how to display this once I get it all decked out and lit up. It almost needs to be hung from the ceiling, but then any lighting in the cockpit would be pretty moot.

Thanks again JKirkon. I managed to score one off the Goodwill site. WOW... man is this thing big! The box it showed up in was 34"x36"

I vaguely remember seeing these in the store but I believe the wings were off in the box so it looked a lot smaller. I'm honestly not sure how to display this once I get it all decked out and lit up. It almost needs to be hung from the ceiling, but then any lighting in the cockpit would be pretty moot.

Glad you were able to score a piece for conversion! You’ll have to post a thread of the conversion process!

lol... I will but to be honest I have no idea when I will be getting around to it. I have a ton of builds I'm working on or lined up in the queue... working on renovating an old church into a restaurant/bar or maybe just my house... writing a novel (already have my first published)... I probably need three lifetimes lol ;)

Seriously though it probably won't be until next year and after I move that I start working on this.

There's one on there currently for $7.99.

SB

yeah I saw that too. I think there are a couple for $10 or under right now. I just missed out on one of the Walmart exclusive Millennium Falcon's. I got a work call and missed the auction ending by a couple of minutes.

Really love this, nice work. A project like this has always been on my "to do but probably can't get to it" list.

Thx:D...it's not for the faint hearted that's for sure and it does require a certain set of skills acquired over a number of years;)....... because much of the toy goes straight in the bin at the very beginning....and then you have to scratch build the rest.....still I believe anyone who enjoys building models could do it!!

I've had quiet a few people ask for the castings and even for me to do it all for them....but it really is one of those intricate 'one off' builds and very time consuming....my brother has one and he still keeps putting the conversion off.....one day indeed....;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back