X-Wing: dividing Red 6 from the mysterious X-Wing with red laser canon...

Marko@Rockvoice

This has been giving me hard time for a while now:
The confusion about X-Wing Red 6.
On the few photos that are public on Red 6 there are two different birds shown.
One of them has 6 stripes, dark red areas on Engine, inner wings, fuselage and canopy frame.
The other one is the one with the red laser canon on upper starboard wing.
But this one does definitely not have 6 stripes (can't tell how many it actually has - so I guess it could be Red 10) and it has a totally different paint scheme.

To show what I mean I use the photos that are puplic on modelermagic:

This seems to be an early stage of the paintjob on Red 6:
kg_red_6-005.jpg

It looks like the lower port side laser canon has a dark red area, too. The rest of the colors are not painted on yet.

And here is the same bird (at least I guess so) later with finished paintjob:

kg_red_6-002.jpg

Again, a dark read port side lower laser canon. Multiple areas painted in dark red and a green color as appears on hero Red 3.

I can only assume that this image has been flipped because the dark red canon is on lower starboard side here:

kg_red_6-003.jpg

Then, there is a picture of an X-Wing with 6 stripes on the wing where the canopy frame is painted in some bluish grey instead of dark read, while showing the some pattern.

And now - in opposition - the mysterious other X-wing.
Not the completely different paintjob, the dark red laser canon on top starboard side. I assume that this is the bird that is shown on the famous pictures with the team and all the X-wings, y-wings and Tie's on one table - yet missing the red stripes and markings.
kg_red_6-001.jpg

When you look at the port side lower wing - barely visible - you'll notice that there are definitely no 6 stripes there. Could be five or 10...

Anyone with more information - Please participate!

That is the bird we speculate to be Red 10.

By the way, many of these pics are flopped left-right. Keeping track of the correct orientations is a full-time job. :lol

By the way, many of these pics are flopped left-right. Keeping track of the correct orientations is a full-time job. :lol

hehe,... so do we have any evidence in any of the pictures what is left and what is right?

I would like to go into the paintjob of Red 6 a little.
I found the following pictures on Red 6 somewhere here - so if any copyrights are violated please just remove these.

What you can see in these two pictures is that the canopy frame and the surrounding area is definitely not dark red any more. As the red markings are already painted on I assume it is a later state of the paintjob or a re-paint.

We, ah, have done all this before, but I don't object to doing it again; it's the sexiest of all the X-wings IMO. :)

There is key evidence for the orientation. Your mission: see if you can find it. Only then will you be a true Padawan, ahem, lol.

I was really bummed when I realized that the canopy didn't stay dark red. When I paint my pyrol I'm considering going with the stronger red and just calling it "intermediate Red 6" or "original Red 6" or something, lol.

I'm not convinced the colour was changed outright, I think they just toned down the red with heavy overspray. It still looks pretty warm in several pics.

I'm glad you're delving into this. That speculation about that red cannon one being red 10 got past me previously. And the fact that the one pic was reversed. Unfortunately there's not too much more info to be had on this one.

You may be right. I've been searching everywhere that I could access but didn't have any luck so far. That is why I started this thread. To find out as much as possible.

I know some here say that this has been discussed before - but I couldn't find anything useful so far.
How do I qualify for more info/references? Those who don't want to share info publicly - please still consider writing me a PM or email.

There are some pictures of the remains of that blown up pyros...
It should be possible to gather some more info on those "rare" birds.
It is 2012 now, everyhing that is out there can be found somehow I believe. Don't you think it is worth a try?

Reportedly there's no more Red 6 stuff (and Red 10 too? can't recall) in the hands of the X-wing inner circle, ahem. Certain people withdrew channels of communication after certain incidents apparently, so we might not see anything better for those birds unless something comes out through official channels. Certainly it seems LFL has recently realized we do enjoy seeing new stuff - nice - only took 30 years. :rolleyes

Orientation is an easy one really. It's a test of logic. What only faces one way?

Yep. I can say with absolute transparency that what you have here in this thread is what the X-WING CABAL has on Red 6 and Red 10. And yep - a bunch of contacts picked up shop and disappeared into the ether after the unpleasantness™.

Very frustrating. Very unsurprising, too. But we soldier on, eh? I kind of like the fact that there may be something out there that one day may surface. The fact that it will expose the GLARINGLY INACCURATE areas of our builds that we currently have to "freestyle" with interpretive dance and paint? Not as awesome.

But I hope the creative genes kick in, and we see more stuff along the lines of what Rod is doing right now with Red 6. Throw caution to the wind and make some junk up, extrapolating from what we know. I dig that almost as much as art-forgery levels of accuracy and slavish devotion to making these look as crappy as they did, in some areas.

We're all mad, right?

@Nwerke: Hmm... that is a good riddle... I couldn't find a watch, books or any other written thing clear enough in those pictures. Maybe the haircut of that guy ;-) ? Other than that I got no clue. Give me a hint please!

@Moffeaton: yep. Well said. There is no other logical explanation to that other than we are mad people.
To quote Albert Einstein: "A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

@Scott: Thanks man. I already had that pictures but it's nice to have it complete here.

after the unpleasantness™.

:lol Wait...um. :cry

Very frustrating. Very unsurprising, too. But we soldier on, eh? I kind of like the fact that there may be something out there that one day may surface. The fact that it will expose the GLARINGLY INACCURATE areas of our builds that we currently have to "freestyle" with interpretive dance and paint? Not as awesome.

It's out there. An ILMer gave a talk here in the early 90s, for example; I got there late but he was showing oodles of photo album stuff. X stuff.

We're all mad, right?

Goes without saying. :)

@Nwerke: Hmm... that is a good riddle... I couldn't find a watch, books or any other written thing clear enough in those pictures. Maybe the haircut of that guy ;-) ? Other than that I got no clue. Give me a hint please!

It's on the model. Not everything is axisymmetric, is it? :)

Yes, a great find. As you can see, the markings on the black & white picture don't seem to perfectly match the color pictures of Red 6 (especially the red lower right cannon) so the B&W is another Red 6 model, maybe.

Closer examination reveals that some of the stripes seem to be connected to the main "L-Mark", causing some doubt. So was it another Red 6 or does it represent another ship?

Lastly, the "droid plate" and "butt plate" are also asymmetrical, as are the details close to the engine inlets and on the aft engines themselves. But most pictures don't lend themselves well to examination of such tiny details!
That is an amazing photo. Thanks a million for sharing!

Last edited:
Yes, a great find. As you can see, the markings on the black & white picture don't seem to perfectly match the color pictures of Red 6 (especially the red lower right cannon) so the B&W is another Red 6 model, maybe.

Closer examination reveals that some of the stripes seem to be connected to the main "L-Mark", causing some doubt. So was it another Red 6 or does it represent another ship?

!

Is it possible that's just the lighting? The lower part of the cannon looks dark but the bright lighting appears to be washing out certain areas. Look at the black on the upper right engine it almsot looks like it has a white streak going through it. And just look at his thumb it almost disappears into the background.
My question is if the red cannon was reused did "red 10" come first (as seen on the table shot) and then the canon was reused for red 6 when it was built? Or did they just make two seperate red canons? There do seem to be an awful lot of shots of red 6 being made compared to any of the other ships, maybe it was the last one made and they decided to document it. Or maybe it was one of the first built and blown up and "red 10" was made later thus why on the table it's unpainted except for the reused red canon.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back