X-Men First Class - Shaw's Helmet

Filandrius

Sr Member
Another quarantine project completed. Years ago I acquired this helmet, which was painted in Magneto's red & purple color scheme at the end of First Class. Then the helmet got dropped off the stairs and almost broke clean in two. Let's just say that the original paint job (and the spiky thing on the forehead) didn't survive. So in the closet it went (I didn't have the heart to throw it away) Since the start of the quarantine I figured out that I had everything in hand to finish it as Shaw's helmet (or close to it) so I said to myself "what the hell" and decided to have a little fun.

I started out by stripping as much of the original paint that I could (because there was huge chips in the paint that couldn't even be sanded out) Then I applied several coats of primer-filler, sanding out the imperfections between each one. Then I went over all the helmet with a gloss black base coat. After several coats (with some extra sanding between each one) I tried using graphite powder on the trim instead of using straight-up silver; it came out beautifully, almost as a dark chrome. Once everything was done I finished the helmet with several coats of Duplicolor automotive clear gloss.

So there you have it. Here's a few pictures! I know it's not 100% perfect but at least it's not almost broken in two in my closet anymore. :p

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    842 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    917 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back