X-Men: Apocalypse (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
This is the post-release thread for X-Men: Apocalypse with spoiler discussion.

X-Men Apocalypse | Final Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX - YouTube

cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpg

Attachments

• cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpg
    cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 64
  • cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpg
    cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 67
  • cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpg
    cf7kkqeuuaeqame.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
Very few Spoilers (the movie will mostly do that for you!)

What "Spectre" was to "Skyfall" then "Apocalypse" is to DOFP:
Disappointed. Very.
I actually thought this was poorer than "Last Stand".
The VFX are the weakest I've seen in an X-men movie. They seemed to be from a much lower budget than I'd have credited for this film of this size and the CGI often saturates the screen and its not the great stuff either . Infact the general cinematography seemed very off , I got sick of the endless facial close ups, so much so I could almost draw every wrinkle of pain in Fassbenders face and every vein in McAvoys bulging bloodshot eyes by the end of it, which regretably often seemed a very long way off for a lot of it.
As an X men film they have striven for great continuity with all the others and its maybe that familiarity and lack of originality has resulted in the middling to weak reviews from alot of the critics.Certainly the rewritten history of X2, possibly my favorite X men ever, is laughably poorer, and I almost felt like throwing a brick at the screen at a certain cameo, I feared the Borg had sneaked in to it as well as "Stargate" ,which they seem to have attempted to reboot along with everything else in the new timeline.
Even the attempt to replicate the brilliant "Quicksilver" moment of DOFP is woefully overdone in a chuck "everything but the kitchen sink" scene and all the charm and wit of that original sequence is mostly wasted. And thats the problem with the film overall, its been done before and so much better. History is just a DVD disk away. I watched DOFP lastnight and the rest of them over the last week and I can scarcely believe this from the same people.
Its not a total disaster but it comes close to being my least favorite in the X men universe, next to "Wolverine: Origins" which it feels very similar to. And my god it could have done with some of "Deadpools" killer wit, rather than the mostly damp squibs we got here. I challenge you not to wince with pain at Professor Xs meeting with Moria.And forget Pyslocke, you've seen the best of her action in that trailer.
If you are a fan of the series this will be a fifty/fifty toss of the coin as to you liking it. If you want a reasonably entertaining popcorn movie flick to watch for the evening it does the job, but coming on the back of CACW, Deadpool and even BVS I wonder if people will be bored with it. Certainly there were only a couple of dozen at my first showing, and the cinema was packed for the other three.
One very end of credits scene thats barely worth waiting for. Blood and the "Only way is Essex".

Last edited:
I liked it. I thought it was less good than DOFP, but as Jean said in the film, the third sequel is the weakest usually. Promising new cast, they look good in their X-Men uniform at the end and made me want to see what they will offer us in the future. And I thought the Quicksilver scene was very good, it is more of the same, since the surprise factor is gone obviously, but it was very enjoyable none the less. Much better than Marvel's take on the character, killing their version and keeping Wanda was a smart move on Feige's end.
The only issues I had was Mystique, again, who shouldn't be leading the X-Men, and won't wear the make up. They can try to justify her JLaw apparence all they want, it ain't convincing me she just doesn't want to do it. It might take hours to put on, but she's paid handsomely for it, no excuse. Second thing is that when characters get these level of powers, somehow the stakes are so high they're not really having an impact anymore, when smaller display of power and smaller stakes usually make for a more relatable movie, more intimate. Maybe I'm a bit burned out of the world in danger plot.

The power ups were ridiculous and the final one was a huge waste of that potential future storyline and worse than "The Last Stand" . And how do they deal with this going forward??? But its "Apolcalypse" who had so many plot holes I could barely keep up.
He is the first mutant ever ,but can handily transfer his conscientious into other mutants and boost their powers? Hold on a bit??? We're ALSO told that these mutations did not arise again until the late twentieth century? So how come he has his four horsemen? Did he just get bored with making the first four or were there other mutants? We already see the young sacrifice rehealing himself so mutation seems to be running riot in the general population back in Egypt and then just stops for three thousand years???
And the fact he needs to build gigantic pyramids to preform his act of mind transference?
There is virtuallly nothing I can fault with the DOFP script but most of this story annoyed me (particularly what they did with the "Weapon X" X2 reboot. Those new all mutant stunning weapons????????). And a twin bladed helicopter in a tunnel is not a good idea either. Looks cool, but that bird ain't going to fly for very long I can tell you.Unless its a mutant helicopter of course, like the final plane was. And that mansion scene at the end????.
It did not help at all that Agents of Shield has basically just done all of this this season, even down to the Hive effects. And now by the end of XA we have three characters boosted to levels of capability that leave the even the comics gasping!!!
It was just a bad mess of ideas that sacrificed story line and character development for Micheal Bay style visual spectacle and it felt like several steps backward for the franchise, where as "First Class" and "DOFP" were enjoyable clever redevelopments of characters in stronger interesting stories.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, despite some flaws. Some emotional callbacks, individually some great scenes, acting was solid enough (not quite on the level of the first two) and the stakes were high, but in a different way to the first and second film. I literally just sat and enjoyed it - and I could feel all of these subtle little connections to the comics and the tv shows and allsorts just popping out the film, which was great. Could there be improvements? Of course. Was it *****? Absolutely not. The direction and style seemed v different to DoFP even though it's the same director, but generally, I was watching an X-Men film, which has closed up some of what has come before, and set up a great arc going forward and I look forward to what they do next.

I was under the impression that the power ups faded once Apocalypse wasn't driving the horsemen, btw. He didn't "unlock them" in that sense, he was bolstering them, as he did to Charles. So those characters won't carry on with that ridiculous (entertaining) power level I don't think.

And also, as for the complaints about his horsemen in the past - this guy has been alive for a 1000 lifetimes - that pretty much means he first existed in like 8000 BC. Where we start the story is 3000 BC, where he is worshipped and has horsemen - who then die to protect him? He is then trapped for 5000 years - you realise how short a time that is in the history of mankind? Just because modern humans think that mutants "only" exist in the 20th century doesn't mean they are right - Wolverine alone proves that, as he was around in the 19th century...And it is absolutely clear that apocalypse relies upon that ancient (alien?) technology - his entire regeneration process being built around it makes it fairly clear that is part of his history - how is that different to the comics?

The last act was a bit weak though, I'll give you that. I enjoyed some of the fight scenes, some were just OK.

The actual act of the entire x-men team working as one was pretty good!

Last edited:
I thought it was implied that Havok had died in DOFP ?, seeing his damaged suit in the same place where the dwarf has his mutant part collection.

I thought it was implied that Havok had died in DOFP ?, seeing his damaged suit in the same place where the dwarf has his mutant part collection.

Mystique rescues him and the batallion from the army base I think? Is the collection scene after that?

I was under the impression that the power ups faded once Apocalypse wasn't driving the horsemen, btw. He didn't "unlock them" in that sense, he was bolstering them, as he did to Charles. So those characters won't carry on with that ridiculous (entertaining) power level I don't think.

And also, as for the complaints about his horsemen in the past - this guy has been alive for a 1000 lifetimes - that pretty much means he first existed in like 8000 BC. Where we start the story is 3000 BC, where he is worshipped and has horsemen - who then die to protect him? He is then trapped for 5000 years - you realise how short a time that is in the history of mankind? Just because modern humans think that mutants "only" exist in the 20th century doesn't mean they are right - Wolverine alone proves that, as he was around in the 19th century...And it is absolutely clear that apocalypse relies upon that ancient (alien?) technology - his entire regeneration process being built around it makes it fairly clear that is part of his history - how is that different to the comics?

!

He didn't power up ALL the people did he (particularly at the very end) and certainly the ones he did enhance early on seemed to retain their abilities. I can't see Storm going back to doing just dust devils. As to the comics all I can remember of him was he could grant powers but he could never boost or transfer his consciousness though the Celestial tech did enable him to do other things, but again the film departs from that which is in the comics as is suggested in the after credits scene. I always thought he was immortal anyway but I could be wrong. As a devise to move the plot on the transference is a good idea, its just the way it was handled felt off.
I think there is possibly a good lesson for Marvel here as to how they tackle the Infinity Wars. A super powered villain causing massive chaos everywhere is far less interesting and audience pleasing than ever, and as has been said in this thread rather boring. These films now handle scripts that are quite sophisticated and the public seem happier with movies that "surprise" them and cope better with the "complex" storylines than many give us credit for, rather than have the typical bog standard big bad, world in peril again and again. "Age of Ultron" suffered a similar lack of enthusiasm for key elements of the story and yet CACW which would appear to have no "easy" conclusion or straight story line is well liked and respected.

Hey guys can anyone tell me if Wolverine is wearing dog tags in this movie and if so which style the ones from X-1 to X-2 or the ones from X-Men Origins: Wolverine?
Wolverine dog tags.png
I have both styles and if he is wearing them I want to wear mine to the first showing in the US.

Good to see im not the only one that thought this was, sadly, mostly a train wreck. Also glad someone else noticed the cinematography being off. Its due to mass use of green screen and everything added in post. Camera just has nothing to play with so they have to set the shot up around lighting. Then they have to match the same style on practical sets. Where the original X-Men got me was it being grounded in a real world, this world was a videogame complete with power ups and an end boss, hell, it even has an extra life as a reward for defeating the boss.

Wolverine was conveniently inserted (im guessing for the fans but likely as a set up for another film) as easily was the convenient uber jet and "flight suits" that just happen to be the correct childrens sizes for the kids at a top secret off the grid military base. Where Days of Future Past did justice, this one was wasted. I honestly had trouble making it through. "Only The Strong Will Survive", did we even really lose anyone? Is whiny Scott's brother really gone or is this a set up for another potential time?

Hey guys can anyone tell me if Wolverine is wearing dog tags in this movie and if so which style the ones from X-1 to X-2 or the ones from X-Men Origins: Wolverine?
View attachment 628153
I have both styles and if he is wearing them I want to wear mine to the first showing in the US.

No dog tags but do wear a mechanical bra on your head and be ready to que the Terminator theme.

Just saw it.

I liked it more than the critics did. It was enjoyable and I don't feel cheated out of the money it cost me to see it. Good way to spend a Friday night.

BUT, yes it did have a few problems. Some mentioned here, but two that really stood out for me:

MOST important (TO ME) they were all too powerful. Are they like this in the comics? They made this same mistake in the third movie and even again in a little in DOFP with the whole stadium nonsense. Frankly it doesn't make sense and it creates holes in previous movies.

For one thing, how could that plastic prison from the first two movies possibly EVER hold someone with Magnetos powers for more than 30 seconds? Yeah there's no metal within 50 feet of him...so? This is a guy who can lift a whole stadium intact out of the ground, find enough metal in bricks to rip them apart. So the plastic room is suspended in a building...they just showed him able to just lift the whole damn building and fly away with it. Then in this movie, this other dude manages to amplify his powers enough to pretty much tear the world apart. Where do you go from there?

Also they don't out smart anyone, they just keep upping the ante until one side proves even more godlike than the others. And at the end of the day...how could people with this much power EVER be even remotely bothered with what normal humans think about anything?

And the other problem I had was minor by comparison, but at times it felt like that bad guy was just on a bad acid trip, talking about tearing down their systems...I'm sure you can picture Tomy Chong saying that, just add in the word man and like occasionally "Someone needs to like...tear down their systems man. Like the whole system and start new. a better world man, without their reliance on machines man."

Again that last one was pretty minor, but it did take me out of it a little. I think the writers got a little confused about goal vs. motivation. He had a goal, but not really any reason for it.

In the end, I actually DID enjoy it. It just wasn't as strong as some of the other ones. I kind of put it on par with number 3...worth seeing once, but they pretty much painted themselves into a corner that they may not be able to get out of without some wiggling. Last time they had to soft reboot to get out of that corner. Not sure what they'll do this time.

8/10 and I like most movies. I'm one of those people who end up liking almost every movie I go to, but some I like much more than others. Very few I don't like. I gave BvS a 7.5/10. This film has humor and hope more than BvS did. Although I am not really comparing the two, just noting things that I liked better. Quicksilver's scene stole the movie again for me.

Last edited:
When it comes to Quicksilver I'm in the minority because I prefer the Avengers MCU version which is more like he's portrayed in the comics. The time-bending X-Men Fox Quicksilver is cinematically more like The Flash and way too OP.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back