WWII Captain America on a VERY low budget

BobbyS95

As an unemployed 16 year old who loves replica costumes, I am very limited when it comes to building my own. I have always been a fan of Captain America, but never of the light blue, skin tight modern costume. After being inspired by Rupert_Angier's WWII Cap costume, I am setting out to build my own. Progress pics/posts to come soon, and pics of what I am shooting for below.

How accurate are you wanting to go? If not as accurate, I recommend you just try to go to Goodwill and find anything that stands out that could be use. Indy Mogul talks about the Captain America shield and costume in this tutorial.

Last edited:
Currently, I believe that the most difficult part of this build will be the jacket, mostly because I don't have to many ideas for it. The only idea I have is to buy a chef coat (like this one) dye it blue, and add the star and stripes. I'm not too worried about the helmet, pants, or boots.

How accurate are you wanting to go? If not as accurate, I recommend you just try to go to Goodwill and find anything that stands could be use. Indy Mogul talks about the Captain America shield and costume in this tutorial.

I'm not looking to be 100% accuarate, just good enough to be recognizable. And thanks for the tutorial, I used to worship BFX.

I'm not looking to be 100% accuarate, just good enough to be recognizable. And thanks for the tutorial, I used to worship BFX.

I know its not enough, but seriously, thrift stores and flea markets are more than likely the best options. I myself am working on a not-so-screen-accurate R.J. MacReady costume that consists most of stuff I picked up that looked like it was close enough. So, I can testify that thrift stores are definitely a good and useful source.

When I was looking through my closet last night, I found this
893af509.jpg

It is a navy blue work shirt/jacket that I think would work perfectly for my build. The only problems with it are that it is a little too big on me, and there are pockets on the front. I'll probably just shrink it in the wash, and rip the pockets off. But the best part about this, is its FREE!

Finished taking the pockets off.
c6c1cfdd.jpg

You can't see it too well in the picture, but when I first started I tried ripping the pocket off (yes, I know the stupidity of that) and got a little hole on the front. I'll either have to patch that up, or hope the star will cover it. Now, onto shrinking/sewing. Anyone know cheap fabric I can use for the star and stripe?

I want to build something like this too! I hope to be able to start soon, starting with the kite shield. Do you plan to make the round one or the kite?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back