WWI inspired Jay Garrick Flash

Lightning

Master Member
Ever since that helmet flew through the Wormhole on "The Flash" I've had this Idea stuck in my head. Since his helmet is based off a WWI Brodie style helmet I decided to do the whole costume with a WWI theme. I've got a jacket coming, that's literally on a slow boat from China, so it won't be here for a month. I've mocked up my proposed modifications in photoshop.
Garrickcoat1.jpg

I've recieved my helmet it's the last version of the Brodie made. It's got a different liner system than the older ones, which means there is no screw on the top of the helmet.
cdhelmet4.JPGgarrick1.jpg

the profile is reasonably similar to the one from the show

helmetWing.jpg

I've mocked up the wings in 3D, I'm either going to get them 3D printed or make them out of layers plexiglass.

Boots will be canvas leggings dyed red, with wings laced into the side laces.

WWI era Jay Garrick will be part of the Motor Transport Corps, one look at their insignia will tell you why. They use Mercury's Helmet.
Collar.JPG

I'll update as parts are completed. Since I started this project I've found a couple other instances of artists going this direction for his costume. Specifically in "The Unholy 3" and the Smallville comics.

I always like the golden age comic styles even if they're cheesy at times and I think this is the perfect outfit for the Flash as he'd have been a huge help in the fight in the trenches. Too bad the insignia isn't for messengers, that'd been the perfect place for him.

The Signal Corps would be the unit most associated with messages. However, every unit had their own messengers, known as "Runners". It was a very dangerous job. They wore red armbands (a very appropriate color for the Flash). I may need to incorporate that into the costume. It'll need to be a different shade of red to stand out.

I love ur design on the jacket and wanted to know where u are having it made and the cost I would love to get one

The jacket is beautiful and may very well fit the characater of Jay Garrick. But if I recall, Jay was a character during the Golden Age of comics during WWII. Which would still be fine since many uniforms as well as weapons and equipment were used from the fisrt war. The helmet certainly was used in the early years of the second war by the U.S. and England.

You are correct of course that Jay is properly dated to WWII, and my initial concept of the costume was to keep the WWII date. However the style of collar on the jacket and the choice of unit necessitated a shift backward in time thematically. I suppose that makes this a bit of an Elseworld costume.

Meanwhile, I got the helmet stripped, although I'm not entirely happy with the clearcoat. I'll probably strip it off and just wax it. I have to say the sweatband was as dry as cardboard when I got it, but a heavy dose of leather dressing rehabilitated it nicely. Now for the hard part, Wings.
IMAG0776_1.jpg

Did you use a silver spraypaint and then clear coated? I know it can dull the silver finish tremendously. May I suggest using a different color other than silver? I have used nickel colored spray paint and the results were much better. I won't dull after you clearcoat it with a clear acrylic spraypaint finish.

Yeah, your wings are going to be an interesting challenge to fasten onto the helmet with such a small surface to attach at the base of the wings. I had made a helmet like this years ago using a doughboy helmet I got without a liner for a very low price at the time. I had designed the wings a bit smaller than the currently seen set in an art deco style to reflect the era. I contructed the wings by layering cardboard with a large enough base to contact cement onto the helmet. I'd be interested in what materials you decide on using and the method to fasten them.

Thanks I ordered 1 !! Interested in seeing what u will do for the boots I thinking
Captain america style with wings?

I have the helmet and chrome painted it years ago, but have never gotten around to the wings. Would you be willing to share your 3D model. PM me and we can discuss if you'd be willing. It would be for my own personal use. Thanks a ton

I built the wings in SketchUp. I don't have a problem with them being freely available. I'll try to upload them to the 3d warehouse when I get a chance. I'll post a link.

updates on the build: I've won an auction for my Collar insignia and WWI era buttons, they are in the mail. Also in the mail is the red dye for my Canvas Leggings. IMG_6585.jpg

The wings for the "boots" will be laced into the sides (will probably make the wings out of leather). The pants are a pare of very blue Dickies 874 work pants. The pattern for those is based on Dickies original WWII uniform pants. So I'll be a bit more WWII looking below the belt. Bit they used Leggings in WWI as well, they just weren't as common as putties.

I clear coated directly over the bare steel of my helmet, as I mentioned earlier I'm rethinking that. Stripping the clarcoat and waxing the metal will give it a much better shine. Can't make a decision on helmet wing attachments until I build the wings.

Well, I just received one from the link that I listed and would not recommend them. The measurements are smaller than listed. So small in fact, that could not even get the jacket on.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back