Wrath of Khan Score: 2 CD Limited Edition Set Available Now

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A newly remastered, Limited Edition, 2 CD set of the score from The Wrath of Khan is now available at La-La Land Records.

STAR TREK II – THE WRATH OF KHAN: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)

0A67F7B6-57EE-4459-A826-0DC106728B22.jpeg

Last edited:
I usually order through Screen Archives Entertainment and they've always (at least for me) shipped in boxes and bubble wrapped.

My understanding is that the big difference is that this set is mastered from the original 1st generation digital session tapes rather than analog downdubs like the previous release. It also has at least one track not on the Retrograde release which was included in the 50th anniversary CD set (the epliogue without narration). The second disc is a remaster of the original soundtrack album.

I've ordered it mainly out of curiosity about the sound (I have the two previous discs as well).

Well, I used the contact form on La-La Land’s site as well as firing off an e-mail to them regarding a replacement, but have still received no reply. Hmm.

Having now listened to the CDs, I can happily say that they are glorious!

Meanwhile, I came across this gem:

Someone created a digital mock-up of cue 2M1 (“The Reliant”), which is mentioned in the CD’s liner notes. This cue was written by Horner and orchestrated for the film, but never actually recorded. It’s a bit of brief, heroic music for the introduction of the Reliant as it approaches Ceti Alpha V, before things go south.

I pulled up the film clip and played the music over it, and it syncs perfectly. Even without watching the footage, you can still hear the music syncing with each effects shot from cut to cut as the ship enters orbit, with an underlying tension nicely ending the cue as Captain Terrell asks for Mr. Beach’s report on the sensor scans.

It’s a lovely cue, and one which fits very well into the style of the rest of the score, but, in context, simply wouldn’t work. The final version of the film brilliantly builds tension by having NO music for the first 15 minutes after the opening credits. It’s only when Chekov finds that Botany Bay belt buckle that music comes into the story, and builds to a horrific crescendo with the reveal of Khan and his people standing outside the cargo pods.

Last edited:
I decided to listen to The Wrath of Khan, last night, so I put on Battle Beyond The Stars.

Then, I decided to listen to Aliens so I put on The Wrath of Khan.

Then I decided I wanted to listen to Avatar so I put on Glory.

Then, I decided I wanted to listen to parts of Patriot Games so I put on Aliens.

Finally, I decided I wanted to listen to parts of The Mask of Zorro, so I put on Willow.

I love the late James Horner’s work, but his self-referencing is pretty obvious and notorious, at times.

Last edited:
I decided to listen to The Wrath of Khan, last night, so I put on Battle Beyond The Stars.

Then, I decided to listen to Aliens so I put on The Wrath of Khan.

Then I decided I wanted to listen to Avatar so I put on Glory.

Then, I decided I wanted to listen to parts of Patriot Games so I put on Aliens.

Finally, I decided I wanted to listen to parts of The Mask of Zorro, so I put on Willow.

I love the late James Horner’s work, but his self-referencing is pretty obvious and notorious, at times.

Wait...does this mean I need to replace a BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS CD, instead...?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back