Wow! That movie was EXACTLY like the book!

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How many times have we heard, "Eh, it was alright but I liked the book better."? Sometimes (though scarce) the movie is even better than the book.
How many films have you seen that was EXACTLY like the book? The characters and sets were just as you imagined them and the plot or ending was just as written?
For me only one comes to mind.
Unfortnately it just doesn't translate well to film so it sucked but by god, I remember the first time I saw it and I'd felt as I've already seen it a few times!
What other movies out there meet this criteria?

It isn't a movie, but the first thing that comes to my mind is "Game of Thrones". EXACTLY like the book. Characters, lines of dialogue, the events that unfold, pretty much identical in every way.

I can't think of any I have ever seen where the book and movie matched up.

Sad.

One I have wished they would make is Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. The book was incredible, but it didn't have Jack Ryan as the main character, so they will probably never make it.

If you can get over a short red headed Irishman being played by a tall black man it surely was :lol

For the record I think it was also very true to the book :)

Oh yeah, other than that! :lol

Fight Club also was very close to the book...right up to the end. Oh well. But since this thread is looking for EXACT, I won't submit that one for consideration :lol

Believe it or not, with the exception of Norman Bates' physical description, Psycho was nearly identical to the book right down to the dialog. Yet, the book was considered dime store drivel while the movie is considered a masterpiece.

The first Harry Potter was also very close to the book. I can't say much for the rest, because I haven't read past the first half of the second book.

There's a number of classics that hewed very close to the source material. For instance, To Kill a Mockingbird. But then, back in those days, Hollywood actually KNEW how to film a book without changing the story! :rolleyes

The most recent example I can think of is about 30 years old at this point... PBS' made-for-TV adaptation of Ursula K. LeGuin's The Lathe of Heaven... VERY faithful to the book! :cool:thumbsup

But the less said about the modern remake with James Caan, the better. :unsure

Misery.
When I saw the film, Kathy Bates embodied the part of Annie Wilkes perfectly. Everything about about what she did in that part seemed to jump right off the pages of the novel.
Mike

I've yet to see any film as close to the book as "The Exorcist". There are some minor dialogue differences here and there but I'd say it's 97% exactly like the novel.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" is extremely close to the novel, darn near exactly as described.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back