Wow! That movie was EXACTLY like the book!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Funky, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How many times have we heard, "Eh, it was alright but I liked the book better."? Sometimes (though scarce) the movie is even better than the book.
    How many films have you seen that was EXACTLY like the book? The characters and sets were just as you imagined them and the plot or ending was just as written?
    For me only one comes to mind.
    Unfortnately it just doesn't translate well to film so it sucked but by god, I remember the first time I saw it and I'd felt as I've already seen it a few times!
    What other movies out there meet this criteria?

2. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It isn't a movie, but the first thing that comes to my mind is "Game of Thrones". EXACTLY like the book. Characters, lines of dialogue, the events that unfold, pretty much identical in every way.

3. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Movie = Book

4. Mullreel

Mullreel Well-Known Member

I can't think of any I have ever seen where the book and movie matched up.

Sad.

One I have wished they would make is Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. The book was incredible, but it didn't have Jack Ryan as the main character, so they will probably never make it.

5. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First Harry Potter is pretty * close.

Nick

6. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

The Maltese Falcon is pretty close.

7. MisterScrub

MisterScrub Active Member

Silence of the Lambs was very close to the book.

The Dark Half was another that was faithfull to the source.

8. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Shawshank Redemption is pretty close, and good to boot.

9. Probe Droid

A Clockwork Orange is pretty literal.

10. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you can get over a short red headed Irishman being played by a tall black man it surely was :lol

For the record I think it was also very true to the book :)

11. cayman shen

Oh yeah, other than that! :lol

Fight Club also was very close to the book...right up to the end. Oh well. But since this thread is looking for EXACT, I won't submit that one for consideration :lol

12. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Scott Pilgrim was pretty bang-on, for the most part.

13. Funky

If you have to add 'for the most part' it doesn't count.

14. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Virgin Suicides - line for line.

15. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Believe it or not, with the exception of Norman Bates' physical description, Psycho was nearly identical to the book right down to the dialog. Yet, the book was considered dime store drivel while the movie is considered a masterpiece.

The first Harry Potter was also very close to the book. I can't say much for the rest, because I haven't read past the first half of the second book.

16. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

Rosemary's Baby...though i saw the movie first.

17. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

There's a number of classics that hewed very close to the source material. For instance, To Kill a Mockingbird. But then, back in those days, Hollywood actually KNEW how to film a book without changing the story! :rolleyes

The most recent example I can think of is about 30 years old at this point... PBS' made-for-TV adaptation of Ursula K. LeGuin's The Lathe of Heaven... VERY faithful to the book! :cool:thumbsup

But the less said about the modern remake with James Caan, the better. :unsure

18. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

Sin City was very close.

19. IndyBlues

IndyBlues Sr Member

Misery.
    When I saw the film, Kathy Bates embodied the part of Annie Wilkes perfectly. Everything about about what she did in that part seemed to jump right off the pages of the novel.
    Mike

20. Vermithrax 4

Vermithrax 4 Well-Known Member

I've yet to see any film as close to the book as "The Exorcist". There are some minor dialogue differences here and there but I'd say it's 97% exactly like the novel.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" is extremely close to the novel, darn near exactly as described.

21. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

The Running Man.

They both had a guy being pursued. Everything else was different.

So I guess that wouldn't be a good example.

As for Shawshank, it's one of my favorite books. There were some big differences, and in some cases, the movie was even better than the book.

And when Red came upon the oak tree and the camera panned around him so we could see it- man they nailed it.

Brian

22. cboath

cboath Master Member

Everything in Harry Potter 1 was out of the book. The only thing that makes it not dead on is that stuff was cut. Most, though, is found in the deleted scenes. The 'Ultimate' version on BR is closest, but not all scenes were added.

For a 350 page book, it was still a 2.5 hour movie. Bang for Bang would have made it about 3 and they were paranoid no one would go if got too long.

23. Funky

Books with pictures don't count. :lol

24. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

They comment on that somewhere in the special features. The filmmakers acknowldege it in one way or another. Was it in Freeman's actual on-screen dialogue...?

25. Flecktarn92

Flecktarn92 Active Member

Well there goes Watchmen. That movie was almost exact with the exception of the tentacle monster being replaced by nuclear explosions.

26. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

No, you WON'T Submit it. Why? Because...What's the first ******* rule of Fight Club?

27. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

1984 is good candidate, yes. But it sucked? Don't remember that!

28. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No. Watchmen was a stinker.

29. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

In all honesty, I can't remember a single example where I walked away from a movie thinking that everything was spot-on from the book. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed some movie adaptations, but I've come to accept in my life that there's no such thing as a 'perfect' adaptation in my mind.

30. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Treasure island with the late great Chuck Heston.

31. cayman shen

Gah, stupid! :facepalm stupid! :facepalm

32. ShadowX81

ShadowX81 Well-Known Member

"The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" (american version) was pretty much exactly how I imagined it while reading.

33. Coz

Coz Sr Member

The Ipcress File - tho it leaves a fair bit out, it certainly retains the feel of the novel.

+1 for The Maltese Falcon!

34. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

QFT :thumbsup

I'd also have to agree with 1984.

35. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

High fidelity was pretty * close. Except for the setting and they cut one minor character...

36. Contec

Contec Master Member

Lord of the rings movies........maybe

37. Funky

Are some of you folks not getting the point of this thread? The whole point is a movie that is EXACTLY like the book. Making comments like, "Except for the part where..." makes it a movie that doesn't belong in the thread. If it's really close it doesn't count. "The only thing they changed was..." is also not a contender.
    We're looking for an exact match, people.

38. Contec

Contec Master Member

It's pretty hard to get an exact match...We are competing against everyone else's imagination.. I have a picture in my head how i interpret a character and when i see the movie it changes and i am not (maybe) able to get back to how i "saw" the character in the first place.
    A couple examples:

Snape from Harry Potter, I read the first book before the movie was made and then when i saw it Alan Rickman became and IS snape from now on.

Dirk Pitt from Sahara, Loved the movie, I saw the movie before ever knowing anything about Clive Cusslers books and when i read the Sahara book i fell in love with that and thinks the movie sucks. But in my mind Matthew McConaughey is forever Dirk pitt and William H. Macy is Sandecker and i forgot who ever played Al Giordino

39. cayman shen

No it wasn't! I teach the book so I've read it about 40 times, and I can tell you besides changing half the names and the country, they eliminate or drastically alter several significant plot and character points, and generally only cover about 75% of what happens in the book. The filmmakers gamely try to capture the feel with Cusack's narration, and they do an ok job, but it's a FAR cry from exactly like the book.

Contec, LOTR...not even close.

40. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park

Dead on.

41. Probe Droid

Is there any such thing?

42. cayman shen

"EXACT?" No. But I know what he means. Nothing left out, altered, or re-arranged. Obviously you can't help that people will envision things differently though.

43. Bobtherocker

Bobtherocker Well-Known Member

Well, it would be had Kubrick not read the American version that omits the final chapter where Alex finally outgrows his sociopathic urges through free will and not brainwashing and as the book is sort of about redemption through free will the film generally falls flat in that regard.

44. Probe Droid

Yes, but it's very loyal to the American edition of the book, which is the one people had read at the time the film was made.

45. JD

JD Master Member

I don't think it's possible to have a movie that's exactly like the book.

They're totally different experiences.

46. cboath

cboath Master Member

TTT was waaay different from the books. Lots of differences in that. There were differences the whole way, none as much as TTT though.

47. Probe Droid

That's my point, does the film exist that includes 100% of everything from the book?

48. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Macarthur Park. I mean the scene where Someone Left a cake out in the Rain, I just lost it, I mean It took so long to bake it, I just couldn't take it, and I'll never have this recipe again...Oh Nooooo.

49. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

Okay ........ :lol I would like an exception made for cycle of the werewolf which translated very well into Silver Bullet. It is a novel, but has some great pics by Bernie throughout the Stand and the movie series was pretty close as well I feel. I am just waiting for a movie of Gerald's Game!

50. DavyVO

DavyVO Well-Known Member

Stephen King's the Shining (not the Kubrick version)