WOW Gorehowl prop WIP

BobSmith42

New to the forum and wanted to share my current project I am working on:

While on the look out for new things to make a few months ago, I was playing the CCG Hearthstone. One weapon card available is a weapon called Gorehowl, a rather large orc axe and the card image and text got me curious (this is the second WOW prop I have made). I started looking for reference images and had gathered a few before I found this version by Kamui Cosplay.This and reading Bill Doran’s new Foamsmith book was pretty much my inspiration for making it from foam, plus I have only made one foam prop before. It also used worbla which I hadn’t used before and wanted to give it a go. A blueprint was then made using some of the reference images and then scaled and printed.

I plan on adding and changing something to make it my own such as more swirls cut into the axe head and angular spikes rather than horns/teeth. The paint scheme will also be different.

20160724_143608.jpg

Axe head made by gluing several floor mats together, then roughly cut out on a bandsaw and tidied on a scroll saw.

20160730_153508.jpg

Beveled sections made using a disc sander

20160730_153552.jpg

The bevels on the axe head were done on a belt sander or with a sharpened utility knife. Must admit I made a mess of the ones done with a knife and had to do some filling.

20160730_174159.jpg

The body of the axe is pretty much done and just needs a bit more filling and then a heat seal. I'll then cut some spirals into the head before adding worbla details. With the horns on the skull it will be around 1m 30 or about 51 inches

Update

I have added detailing to the top and bottom and added teeth around the edge. The exposed foam sections were given a few coats of woodglue, which I found out can be sanded to a nice finish.

20160806_142239.jpg

I have also made a skull for the top of the axe head from sculpey and intend to cast this in resin along with some rivets I molded a while a go.

20160807_152940.jpg

Thanks Chevylenze

Update 3

This project is turning into quite a learning experience , I think I've spent just as much time playing with materials as I have making.

20160808_143418.jpg

These were the first back spikes I made by cutting out a basic shape then using a dremel to try and shape them. I wondered how they would turn out without covering them in worbla....this didn't turn out very well. If I make make stuff from foam I'll need more practice at doing this.

20160808_143400.jpg

The second attempt worked a little better, although to blend and attach them with the rest of the axe I did cover them in worbla. A thought also occurred while covering them - why not try and shape some worlba over the skull I made. I messed the first one up but got the hang of it the second time and made a really good copy of it. The axe is starting to come together now. Just need to sand/glue the blade until I'm happy with it, add the resin rivets and tidy up some of the worbla joins.

20160809_180911.jpg

It's looking really brutal now :)

So, I may have gotten a little distracted making something new - a Fallout 4 laser pistol...

But now that's out of the way Gorehowl is nearly complete. After a lot of testing with different sealers I used epoxy resin to give the blade a good edge, while the rest was covered in gesso. The whole thing was painted with dry brushing, building up the colours starting from dark chocolate brown to iridescent silver for the edges.A few others colours such as a dark patina and bronze were lightly added between layers to break up the silver, although ti's hard to see them in the below images. This is a method I picked up from a video by punished props and is now my preferred method of painting metal. The weathering was built up starting with a watered down light brown to a dark brown: this helped to break up the metal.

20160825_173918.jpg

The skull smasher on the end with resin rivets

20160826_165904.jpg

The skull was done in a lighter bronze colouring while the inlays were a little darker/ browner (is that a word) bronze.

20160828_195320-e1472414409185.jpg

The image above shows the fully assembled axe; the head is detachable to make it easier to move around. I was originally going to do the tusks on the skull smasher a bone colour but after base coating them I noticed they had a more metal texture to them so I tried bronze. This was ok but I'll need to have a play if I want to make some 'realistic looking tusks.

20160828_195339.jpg

The handle was covered in a dark chocolate coloured leatherette using hot gule to secure one edge it was then twisted to stop it being flat and then sown with thick black thread. For the second layer I used some pretty heavy black cotton fabric with a nice weave to give the handle grip. This was torn into several strips , attacked with scissors and sand paper to give it some wear. It was then roughly wrapped around handle, pulled tight and then knotted.

To finish it I just need to give the fabric some weathering (which I probably should have done before I attached it) and test some swirls on the bronze inlays on the axe head.

Final pictures should be up tomorrow.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back