Worst "edited for TV' movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Laspector, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I was just flipping through channels the other day and came upon Fast Times at Ridgemont High on some network channel..MY GOD it is just about the worst hack job I have ever seen!!!! Why do they even try to make these hard R movies into television versions? The redubbing of most of them is beyond awful. Would ANYBODY actually watch these versions?

The other one that comes to mind that is cut and redubbed so bad its almost funny is Smokey and the Bandit...Simply horrendous!!!

Any other ones you can think of that are that bad?

2. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

Tremors... It's the best!

3. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    moffeaton likes this.
  4. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Blazing Saddles, although it did add deleted scenes that were funny.

5. Superheroguy

Superheroguy New Member

Goodfellas.

I don't know why they even bothered.

6. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Oh please, Scarface- "Forget You mang, FORGET YOU!!!"

7. aeonpulse

The Big Lebowski

"This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

8. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Pulp Fiction.

Why even try?

9. JD

JD Master Member

Beat me to it.

Except that line rocks!! I mean, it's the perfect thing to say in public without getting the stare down for using certain phrases.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Well-Known Member

Christine.

and on the other side, Sea of Love. they actually put back in about 15 mins of footage that really expanded the film.

11. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

12. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Ever see the TV version for inner space? It's probably the worst edited for TV movie ever made, and nothing has to do with censorship.

During the battle in the stomach, Tuck tells Jack to get nervous. When he says he saw something that he wasn't sure about, Jack shouts "A tumor?!" and it cuts the response from Tuck.

And when they're trying to find the chip to bring Tuck's pod back to normal size, they cut out the "Eat Me Drink Me" question and the line "Maybe it was drink me".

13. Hecubus114

Hecubus114 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Die Hard 2 - "Yippie Ki Yay Mr. Falcon"

moffeaton likes this.
  14. ThrowingChicken

ThrowingChicken Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So bad it's good.

15. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

Mallrats - Jason Mewes may have two lines that aren't completely dubbed over by someone who sounds nothing like him.

16. markomac

markomac Well-Known Member

I always hate seeing the end of BTTF when they have it as

"what do we become jerks or something?"

17. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious stuff."

18. Treadwell

The campfire scene might actually be improved. The sound effects are gone, but you still see the pantomime. Comedy that isn't quite so explicitly on the nose is sometimes funnier.

19. terryr

terryr Sr Member

It depends on the channel, and even the time. Sometimes it's not bleeped and then next time it is.

Trinity say 'rats' instead of F%$#.

Fargo is hilarious. They must have gone through the "F" dictionary for words. 'Why do you foolish people try these feeble things?!!'

20. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

+1 Snakes on a Plane. Monkey fighting. MONKEY FIGHTING.

21. Treadwell

Did they even bother making TV versions of Kill Bill?

22. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

John Carpenter's The Thing
    The Road Warrior
    Cyborg

The TV edits are so bad they're funny. Absolutely terrible narration added to The Thing introducing the characters. The Road Warrior gets a new badly written narration by some dude with an American accent. Cyborg is mangled so badly it's almost impossible to follow the story.

23. Kennyd

Kennyd Well-Known Member

Not a movie, but the wonderful mini series GBH was on one of the satellite channels recently. Not only was it cut to ribbons for time, they actually CHANGED THE PLOT!!! :wacko

I could hardly believe it.

24. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think ^THESE^ are my number one picks. The censors hatchet them so hard, they're almost POINTLESS to watch.

'Resident Evil: Apocalypse' is another one that makes me chuckle. Every time a character says: "M-----F-----", they substitute the word: "Motivator", & it makes it ridiculous.

Another one is "Leon" ("The Professional"). I almost shot Dr. Pepper out my nose the first time I heard Stansfield scream: "I HAVEN'T GOT TIIIIIIME - - - FOR THIS MICKEY MOUSE BULL-SQUASH!!!"

25. aeonpulse

Hahahahahahah, I gotta find a YouTube clip of that.

26. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

The bean eating scene is silent. WHY???????? :cry

27. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anytime "My Cousin Vinny" airs on TV, it's pretty much useless to watch. They have to cut out so much cussing (which is were a lot of the comedy comes from).

28. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Way back the USA network played "Heavy Metal." They didn't bleep anything or replace anything. they just cut out all the swears and nudity and even some of the gore. The movie was about an hour long and played like a fever dream. If you had not seen it before you barely would of been able to tell what was going on.

29. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles for sure, Robocop. I remember when I was in highschool a station actually got to play Spaceballs unedited. It shocked me given that it wasn't a cable station but a local place out of Cleveland. I've seen so many badly edited ones and half the time it isn't even for content but they do a hack job just to make it fit the time slot.

30. Werstrooper

Werstrooper Well-Known Member

A guy I worked with had one of those dads that would edit the crap out of films for the kids.

They had a copy of Terminator 2 taped from the TV and also edited even more by their dad :lol

I think he said it went for about an hour and 20 mins

31. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

Weird Science.

Chet tells the hot chick, 'But first, I'd like to better know you, muffin.'

The original, 'I'd like to butter your muffin.'

Almost the same thing.

Brian

32. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I was just about to post this one. "Party Wagon"

Haven't you ever heard of an SBD?:lol

Also, Showgirls. I will watch the edited version just for the bikinis drawn on the the girls.

33. terryr

terryr Sr Member

The Blues Brothers. Dubbed by Jim Belushi trying to sound like John.

I guess John died before he did a version.

34. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

I caught Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back one day on network televsion. If I hadn't seen the movie already, I wouldn't know what was going on. The only one who's lines weren't cut out was the monkey's... and he didn't even speak.

35. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not a movie, but the A&E version of The Sopranos are just so god awful to watch. They just drop out the audio when someone curses, so sometimes you hear like 2 words out of a whole sentence.

36. Werstrooper

Werstrooper Well-Known Member

And maybe silent bob

37. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Rambo 4 also has the F-bombs silenced. And the subtitled ones blanked off. When Rambo says 'F*&@ the World' they drop the level down really low instead, which is okay because Stallone mutters anyway.

38. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hate watching movies on TV because of this crap. I remember watching Airplane as a kid and then seeing it as an adult. Lots of stuff cut outta that one. There's only 2 or 3 channels I trust not to edit out all the good stuff. I mean, what's a movie without the trifecta of violence, coarse language and nudity? :p

39. cocomonk22

cocomonk22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It seems recently that TV versions are less edited than they used to be due to lessening content restrictions. I wish the ones with almost all swearing replaced with dubbed lines were still around so I could edit it as a secondary soundtrack for the movie.

40. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Back in the 90s A&E would show unedited movies. There were several British ones, late at night, that would have partial nudity. They'd have a warning about it but there it was. My english teacher in 7th or 8th grade actually showed us the version of Romeo and Juliet with Michael York unedited. He jokingly warned us ahead of time, now some kid would turn him in over it and he'd have gotten fire.

41. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not being from the US, I had never heard about this custom before... I am gobsmacked.

42. Treadwell

OMG, really? :lol
    I gotta see this. Did they CG the truck and the keychain, or what?

43. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

I caught a few minutes of 'Showgirls' on TV once. That's like the ULTIMATE 'why bother movie'. The few minutes I saw was the girl auditioning for something, and she was OBVIOUSLY naked as can be in the real version-- on TV a purple bra was drawn on; it looked like it was done in MS Paint! It kept changing like a cartoon!

Another one I like was RoboCop-- some of the swear words were pretty cleverly changed. 'Once I even called him...........A LOT WORSE', lol
    And when Robo has that big shootout in the cocaine factory, the real version is like this:
    RoboCop: 'Come quietly or there will be.... trouble.'
    Bad guy: 'Awwww, F*** YOU!'

On TV it was:
    RoboCop: 'Come quietly or there will be.... trouble.'
    Bad guy: 'Yeah! For YOU!'

At least that edit made sense, lol

44. switchblade_slinger

switchblade_slinger Well-Known Member

Got it all beat.

'Cheech and Chong's Next Movie'.

They changed the ENTIRE plot to avoid any reference to marijuana.

Even to the point of replacing entire shots of bud-filled bags and fields to shots of 'diamonds'.

Laughably bad.

45. vt357

vt357 Member

The Rock:

Sean Connery: Your best? Losers whine about their best. Winners go home and DATE the prom queen. :lol

46. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

They edited the heck out of the old G-Force cartoon from the original Japanese, changing entire plots and adding 7-Zark-7, a R2D2 wannabe.

Riceball likes this.
  47. aeonpulse

hahahahah, i remember this. used to air on Comedy Central all the time.

48. aeonpulse

The "Party Wagon" was already mentioned for KILL BILL, another awful one was the "My name's Buck, and I'm here to fu*k." scene... changed to "My name's Buck, and I'm here to party!"

I'm not really sure the edit is much better...

EDIT: found a link!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePB8ZOv--bE

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  49. terryr

terryr Sr Member

They should have changed his name to Marty.

50. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

They still do that. You get the original Japanese episodes of shows and it makes you scratch your head as even the storylines seem changed. You watch the version of Dragon Ball that fox used to show and there'd be hand drawn stuff covering the real stuff up all the time.