World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/27/2017

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by SKS Props, Dec 10, 2015.

1. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Here is my big project for the beginning of 2016. I will be constructing a full scale Orc from the World of Warcraft! I have wanted to build a badass orc for a couple of years now and I figured that this would be the best time to jump in. I started planning the scale and logistics of this build back in May. But because of conventions and orders I have only been able to work on it for a few hours here and there.
    Like all of my other costumes I start off with a bunch of reference pics

ref1.jpg

I decided that I didn't want to make a specific Orc from the series but a version that is based off of the original concepts. That entails green skin, red armor, tons of spikes, and a nasty attitude!

Materials:
    EVA foam 3", 1/2" and 1/4" http://amzn.to/2nmYrgI
    Craft foam 1mm-5mm http://amzn.to/2n9zIfe
    Barge Cement http://amzn.to/2nn2ycQ
    Loctite Super Glue http://amzn.to/2n8RkqI
    Faux Fur http://amzn.to/2o977HH
    Fleece http://amzn.to/2o99kCW
    Latex http://amzn.to/2n9CNM4
    Rubber cement http://amzn.to/2nn3yO8
    Smooth on Silicone and Resin http://amzn.to/2o9oCYk http://amzn.to/2nn1w0o
    Rattle can Primmer and Colors http://amzn.to/2ns6tH8 http://amzn.to/2mHNysW
    Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylics http://amzn.to/2o9dNFA
    Plasti Dip http://amzn.to/2o9iK1h
    Upholstery fabric http://amzn.to/2n8DlRS
    Painters Tape http://amzn.to/2o9iwaF

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Jeebs 23, Battata, n0regret5 and 5 others like this.
  2. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/10/2015

For my Warcraft Orc I started from the ground up. I figured that if I couldn't stand and walk around ok the rest of the costume wouldn't matter how good it looked. I drew an orc on my wall so I could get a feel for the scale I was wanting. I will upload all of the progress pics of the boot construction over the next couple of weeks but here is a basic shot of the risers and under structure.

[​IMG]

The boots are an all foam construction. Which makes them extremely light and comfortable. I am lucky enough to have a foam supplier near by that offers scrap chunks of 3" foam that I used as the base and the heel. Regular 1/2' eva use cut to make the support structure of the boot. All of this will be skinned...you can really get the scale of the boots when you notice my shoes inside.

3. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/10/2015

Yes! Awesome. Subscribed.

SKS Props likes this.
  4. steffgon

steffgon New Member

Cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    i'm building a Garrosh my self :D

SKS Props likes this.
  5. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This sure beats my "Macho Man" costume idea for 2016.

:eek:thumbsup

n0regret5, paskadi and SKS Props like this.
  6. JWKruser

JWKruser Active Member

This is going to be amazing!

SKS Props likes this.
  7. gothic

gothic Sr Member

knowing your previous build its gonna look awesome

SKS Props and B Wo like this.
  8. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Now that I have most of my orders taken care of I have found some time to show how I made the boot structure. Like all off my other foam builds everything here is freehand so I don't have files for anyone to download.
    The main part of the boot is cut out on my band-saw from a of 3" thick block of foam. Like I had mentioned before there is a foam supplier here in Kansas City that sells these awesome scraps to cosplayers for dirt cheap. I rimmed the bottom of the block with 1/2" eva from Harbor Freight. This will give me a pretty good shelf for the fake leather to take hold. Using more of the 3" block I cut out a pair of heels that my shoes will be attached to. With the blocks, my shoes, plus the additional sole I will add this will give me a lift of about 10" so far . I used a pair of old Nike shocks because I could secure the straps through the shocks and glue the whole shoe down with Barge cement. By gluing in my Nikes the fit is great and really comfortable. So many of the builds I looked at regarding stilts or risers using wood complained about the weight and lack of comfort. By using all foam the boots weight is minimal and they are extremely comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burnfactor, Zwilliamo and Boyea like this.
  9. Boyea

Boyea New Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/28/2015

Looking awesome! Saw you on Prop: Live, was super impressed when you held up the boot (it's massive!!). Can't wait to see more!

2ndNatureFX and SKS Props like this.
  10. paskadi

paskadi Active Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/28/2015

I love to see people do Warcraft orcs! Subscribed and looking forward to this build.

SKS Props likes this.
  11. Pants

Pants Active Member

Definitely subbing to follow this!

SKS Props likes this.
  12. kialna

kialna Sr Member

Awesome! I'm planning on doing the warsong commander orc! I don't need that much 'increase' in size for the female orcs aren't as massive. Following this with great interest!

SKS Props likes this.
  13. Parkersandquinn

Parkersandquinn New Member

OoooOo! subbed for progress! :D

SKS Props likes this.
  14. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

After I constructed the foam shell of each boot I had to think about the covering. Here is where I got pretty lucky. I was hanging out with Cullen Cosplay at our local foam supplier and noticed scraps of foam that looked and acted like leather. I inquired as to what it was and was told that when a block of foam comes in the outer layer has to be trimmed off and discarded. I got as much as I could and couldn't believe how great this "junk" foam was. The trimmed off scrap is what I will be using for all soft leather parts (boots, gloves, etc.)
    I first skinned the boots in heavy wear areas with 3mm craft foam. Then I made a template out of plastic sheeting that I had lying around and transferred the image to the discarded scrap foam. Using barge cement I started to attach the sides and back to the boot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burnfactor and Pants like this.
  15. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/29/2015

Prepping the boot to be skinned I forgot to mention that I reinforced areas on the underside with muslin to keep it from tearing. Like the upper section I patterned the toe guard armor with plastic sheeting and cut it out of 1/2" eva. All of the other boot armor is being mocked up with cheap 1mm craft foam. Straps are cut out of 3mm craft foam and scored using Tandy Leathers leather working tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burnfactor likes this.
  16. Rojerlockless

Rojerlockless Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/30/2015

Sweet!

SKS Props likes this.
  17. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/30/2015

Because this is an all freehand custom build I couldn't just go out and buy buckles and rivets. So I took the extra step and sculpted a bunch of bits and pieces out out of Monster Clay. Overall I really wanted a rough hand forged look. I made box molds out of foam core and used Smooth-On's oomoo silicone. I personally hate this stuff but I had some trial kits left over that needed to be used before they went bad.

[​IMG]

Burnfactor, Zwilliamo, Boyea and 2 others like this.
  18. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 12/31/2015

For my Warcraft Orc I decided to sew a single stitch on the straps rather than a saddle stitch. From a distance I think they individual stitches will show up better since there will be straps all over this build. Individually cut pieces of craft foam were cut and placed on the boots to look like large stitches this will keep with the stylized over the top feel of Warcraft characters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Burnfactor, n0regret5 and Boyea like this.
  19. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/1/2016

Warcraft Orc Glove Teaser pic - I know I'm not to the gloves yet in the build log but I am just so * happy with how they are coming out I had to put out a teaser pic. This glove is entirely made out of foam and even with the fist clenched it's still 19" tall (Loctite bottle for scale) This hand will eventually be grasping a weapon.

[​IMG]

20. Rojerlockless

Rojerlockless Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/2/2016

Nice!!

SKS Props likes this.
  21. Frozen

Frozen Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/2/2016

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing more!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    SKS Props likes this.
  22. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

The Warcraft Orc boots are basically flushed out as far as size and shape. So I'm going to start planning the armor for the top, back and shin. I really want to build all of the armor details at one time so they have a consistent look so this is just the base plates. The top of the foot armor was drawn out on craft foam then transferred to 1/2" eva. I cut it out using my band saw and finished the edges and notches on the back with a Dremel. Once complete it was glued to the boot with Barge cement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Boyea

Boyea New Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/4/2016

It all looks great! I especially love the straps. And I think the single stitch looks really sweet, definitely stands out!

SKS Props likes this.
  24. Gphalen

Gphalen Well-Known Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/4/2016

I know that boot, it used to regularly kick my Paladins * in pvp lol! Awesome build....can`t wait to see how this turns out subed...

SKS Props likes this.
  25. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Warcraft Orc - Boots/Gloves WIP I was hesitant about putting up a pic of me wearing them at this point because they are a long way from the finished product. But I have had a bunch of people wanting to see how the scale of these will work. Please keep in mind all of the parts are still pretty rough and there will be a ton of fur and additional armor added to both the boots and gloves. I know that they look pretty gigantic here but once the muscle suit and additional armor is added it will level the proportions out.

boots4.jpg

26. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/5/2016

Warcraft Orc - Back of the boot armor was made in the same way as the top. Craft foam was used to make a template then cut out of 1/2" EVA foam. Barge cement was applied to attach the armor plate. Additional straps and details were added to give it a look of functionality.

I learned so much from my Dragon Age Inquisitor armor build that I am now getting to use on a grand scale with the Warcraft Orc. You can see the Dragon Age build here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=219592

[​IMG]

n0regret5, NickyD and Wayne Bakken like this.
  27. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/7/2016

Thanks to my buddy Mason I was able to start a duct tape dummy today that will help me build the muscle suit for the upper torso. I still need to retape the cuts and stuff it with Fiberfill.

[​IMG]

28. Sunkistshark

Sunkistshark Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/13/2016

Looking great man!

SKS Props likes this.
  29. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/13/2016

Warcraft Orc Right hand construction - Once again because there are no pep files or blueprints for this build I am having to size everything based off of the full scale drawing I did on my wall. Like the boots, the hands will have a foam skeleton as the base and will be covered with the foam skin for the leather look. A PVC pipe was cut and installed in the wrist this will be the post I will hold on to. I had to do a little math to scale the back of the hand and start to the fingers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yrien likes this.
  30. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

This morning I missed uploading this pic showing how I will hold the gloves

[​IMG]

captainPlank and Wayne Bakken like this.
  31. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/14/2016

Warcraft Orc Right hand construction- Using a heat gun the skeleton of the hand is heat formed into a fist( a weapon will be placed in the hand later). All of the edges are cut down with a dremel so that when it's covered with the fake leather foam it will appear more natural. I am really getting a grasp of how big this costume is going to be when complete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is another look at the before and after the fist is covered with the foam skin.

[​IMG]

32. jasonww99

jasonww99 New Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/18/2016

Wow. Enough said.

SKS Props likes this.
  33. AlphaTech686

AlphaTech686 Active Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/18/2016

Hey Dude I'm really liking the size of this stuff.

SKS Props likes this.
  34. Hellwolve

Hellwolve Member

What an absolutely smashing idea :) Looking forward to further progress!

SKS Props likes this.
  35. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Warcraft Orc Right Hand "Skinning" - So the hand is primarily an EVA skeleton. I used the same foam skin to cover the hands that was used on the boots. The green craft foam was placed in the fatty parts of the fingers to flesh them out. The hand is positioned int a fist leaving a hole down the center that a future weapon will be placed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. Rojerlockless

Rojerlockless Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/20/2016

Super cool! I wish I had a costume like this!!!

SKS Props likes this.
  37. chimmera30

chimmera30 Well-Known Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/20/2016

Fantastic foam work and super clean lines!!! Will be following the build ! Can't wait for more!!

SKS Props likes this.
  38. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Warcraft Orc- Test fit of the muscle suit. Checking proportions and mobility of the arms, which is surprisingly really good!! I will post the walk though of how the muscle suit was constructed next week.

muscle1.jpg

39. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/22/2016

Another shot of the muscle suit still under construction. I am so happy with how the proportions are turning out. I was very worried about the arms, gloves and feet looking way over sized to the point of being goofy(well goofier than they already do with Warcraft proportions). Also I can't stress how big this costume really is until you see it in person. Just to show scale my dog is a 80+ pounds black lab and you can see that carnage coffee cup on the floor. I have started the shoulder pads and I can't wait to show those off later next week after I talk about the muscle suit construction.

muscle2.jpg

40. Wayne Bakken

Wayne Bakken Active Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/23/2016

With the muscles your hands and feet are looks much more into wow orc proportions.Orcs are not much taller than the other races but they are much more beefy.

SKS Props likes this.
  41. kialna

kialna Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/23/2016

Which is why I don't really need a muscle suit for the orc female...got the legs. :lol

n0regret5, SKS Props and Wayne Bakken like this.
  42. Speedtospare

Speedtospare New Member

Soo subbing to this one

SKS Props likes this.
  43. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Warcraft Orc Muscle suit- Ok what you all have been waiting for the construction of the muscle suit! To start off I took an old long sleeve shirt and installed a zipper down the back for convenience. Then I plotted approx where the muscle groups would be on the duct tape dummy using craft foam. Because their arms are gargantuan to say the least I had to bulk up my arms and shoulders even before muscles were added. One and a half inch upholstery foam was attached to the chest arms and shoulders using 3m 74 spray adhesive. Once it had dried completely I went back in with Barge cement to make sure all of the edges were tacked down really good. I used a Dremel on the upholstery foam to smooth out the bulk. This step was extremely time consuming. I had to go very slow so that it didn't tear the foam. This was also the start to a losing battle with static electricity, the * foam stuck to everythinggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

44. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

I just finished the shoulder pad construction ( I will be showing it later in the week) and they really help balance out the top. Beefy is definitely what this guy is going to be :)

n0regret5 and Wayne Bakken like this.
  45. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/25/2016

Warcraft Orc Muscle Suit - Once i have the arms bulked out I add an additional layer of upholstery foam on top and begin to build up the actual visible muscles. Just like the first layer this is attached to the foam using 3M 74 spray and Barge cement. I took anatomy in college as part of my art degree and it really helps to not only think about the bulk of the muscle but how the muscle looks when the skin is peeled back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

46. HammyDribbler

HammyDribbler Active Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/26/2016

Awesome work as always Steven and you are motoring through it. Can't wait to see the head.

Best of luck,

Ham out.

SKS Props likes this.
  47. Optimusryan

Optimusryan New Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/26/2016

THIS IS SO RAD!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see it finished!

SKS Props likes this.
  48. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Warcraft Orc Glove Teaser pic. I added a ton of details to the right hand last night and just had to post. For the Horde!!!!

[​IMG]

49. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Warcraft Orc Muscle Suit - Continuing to bulk up the suit I add the additional foam to the other side trying to mirror the muscle groups. Again I trimmed off some of the excess foam away with Scissors and Personna blades. Then went to town smoothing everything down with the Dremel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Puddingbat, n0regret5, NickyD and 3 others like this.
  50. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 1/29/2016

Warcraft Orc Shoulder pads - Now I get to spend some time making armor that will cover up half of the muscle suit I just made :) Ok, so we all know Warcraft shoulder pads. They have to be huge, and they have to have a great look since a large portion of the upper body is the armor. I referenced a couple of orc concepts from Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft. In the end I decided to combine some of the elements from each and make my own version. The shoulder pads are doubled up foam cut from 1/2"EVA and glued together using Barge cement. The trick to keeping the bend is to already have the top one bent into place and then lay the next layer in you can always cut off the excess. If you glue them together and then try to bend they will want to flatten back out. So I decided that my version will have the shoulder pad and then an additional shoulder guard the will be able to move when I raise my arms. The notch out was made so some big horns can come up from the shoulder guard. 1/2" beveled trim is added to the perimeter of the armor. This was cut down on my band saw and sanded on my belt sander.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016