Working Wrist Blades w/ Electromagnets?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

SgtFang

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I know exactly squat about electronics, but could this work? I'm thinking of the inside channel on the gauntlet having strong electromagnets at either end, one set pulling, one set repelling. The connecting block for the blades would have plain rare earth magnets at either end of that. Now what I'm wondering, is if you reversed the charge on the electromagnets, wouldn't it send the block with the blades pretty quickly down the inner channel of the gauntlet where it would be grabbed and held by the electromagnets on the other end?

Thoughts?

-Sarge

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

ptgreek

Would a belt pack be far enough?

-Sarge
Ha ..I dont think I'd go that far ..the wiring would be an issue with wearing the suit. You can always remove the batteries when not in use as well. I have to take the battery out of my Bio when not using it ..the earth magnets in the bio drain em'
In theory, it is sound ..of course a motorized track would probably work better

Elkman

I'm making mine out of parts from an old, dead CD-RW drive. I took the tray eject motor and gearing out and attached the blades to the motor/gear mechanism. That meshes with the gear strip on the tray to extend the blades. I should probably post pictures in The Arsenal.

That'll probably use less power than the electromagnets you'd need to get the blades moving from full retraction or full extension.

jerseyveers

If you could reverse the polarity at either end at will, your blades should extend or retract upon command. Good luck and keep us posted.