Working Mandibles

predator paul

Hi guys

I am very close to getting my mandibles to open on my P1 Usurper mask.

After several methods including animatronics and Predattack's Youtube huntorial I
think I have cracked it. My method is similar to the hairclip idea but a lot simpler. It consists of two pieces of wire molded to shape that when squeezed together (planning on biting down) they open the Mandibles. The only problem I have come across so far is making them strong enough to move the latex.

I will update with pics and a video soon of my progress. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions or has managed to make their own rig, please post below. Hey we could even make this a Sticky when someone cracks it.

After being a member here for over 5 years The two biggest subjects on the lair are Sourcing Dreads and working mandibles. I sorted dreads from none other than Bambooie so next up is getting these little buggers moving lol.

Paul .'.

theres the tie wire they use to hang ceiling grid very strong but you can bend it to fit mandibles. Wll heres what my idea would be like: wire the mandibles run the wire into the mask and cross the wires like an x. on the v part of the x where the wire meets attatch a spring to pull the mouth closed. And some type of tapered chin wedge to pull down when you open your mouth and spread the wire apart.

Chinwedge.jpg

Wire_rig.jpg

theres the tie wire they use to hang ceiling grid very strong but you can bend it to fit mandibles. Wll heres what my idea would be like: wire the mandibles run the wire into the mask and cross the wires like an x. on the v part of the x where the wire meets attatch a spring to pull the mouth closed. And some type of tapered chin wedge to pull down when you open your mouth and spread the wire apart.

Liking it. Keep them coming. I have the Fox promo next week and they have asked if Paulo's mouth opens?

Can't disappoint them can we? :)

Paulo .'.

lol im trying to think. Im guessing build the same thing for the top and connect them with a vertical bar

The top's not a problem they are fixed. I just want the bottom to move. When I get an open mouth mask I'll
do it properly. Another idea I had was take a piece of plastic and cut it into a diamond shape then bend it length wise
by squeezing the middle the two prongs are forced outwards and by releasing the grip it springs back into place.

I still like Predattacks idea but it wasn't strong enough to move mine, fine for foam though. LINK

Paul .'.

paul i cant figure anything more out except to extend the wire into your mouth coated with rubber or something and have a scissor like action but im thinking be prepared for sore cheeks. Unless you make the rubber ends flat and wide to evenly distribute the resistance of the spring

my design for this was nearly exactly the same,problem i had though was for a start only the lower mandibles would move on my mask and once the wire armature was in it was very uncomfortable,im workin on a very small animatronic gadget at the moment to do this.when i get it all worked out ill put it up here.if you figure out an easyer way do let me know!!cheers

I went for a lot simpler approach using fishing line. It's no Pete Mander but it looks great on camera.

I ran a length of fishing line down each sleeve and attached it to each mandible, I then added rings to the other end of
each and looped them over my thumbs. When I do it for real fully suited up the Rings will be inside under the arm pits
and ready for photo opportunities :) o_O

VIDEO

Paul .'.

I didnt read what u wrote 1st and when I seem the video i thought oh holy **** he did it, its deadly.
But hey man kudos to u on solving it.

I went for a lot simpler approach using fishing line. It's no Pete Mander but it looks great on camera.

I ran a length of fishing line down each sleeve and attached it to each mandible, I then added rings to the other end of
each and looped them over my thumbs. When I do it for real fully suited up the Rings will be inside under the arm pits
and ready for photo opportunities :)

VIDEO

Paul .'.

its funny you should say that the guy im doin the vid with mentioned that cos we have used it for things before,we got a high def camera this time around so ill have to test out whether it pic it up or not but yeah works great in your vid man!

hey, u ever try using pipes and strings? i used staws and yarn and it worked great untill i put the claws on. i learned small pvc pipes work well if you cut them at the right angle.

I heard someone do this for a lion head costume to make the entire jaw move when he talked, like it talked.

Use some wire coat hangers and RTV them to the inside of the mandables, then bend them in such a way that they fit under your jaw. Then when you open your mouth, they open. The key part is "how" to bend them. This part I do not know or remember. Is anyone a mechanical engineer?-LOL. I think with some trial and error it can be figured out. Wire coat hangers are like what--20 for a $1. Lowes also sells bendable wire in spools of different sizes. And the wire won't ever break like a coat hanger will if bent too many times.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.

P.S. All the ideas so far, get the job done and look great.

i've thought about tearing apart this toy robot i saw not long ago,......

he had arm-claws that open and closed with a small remote,......
if it can be broken down and re-hinged somehow it'd be a cool trick ,....

plus maybe the remote can be worked into a gauntlet,....
but ,.....wouldn't make sense to have to hit the gaunt everytime ya wanted the mouth to move,...

so i dunno,.......just a suggestion

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back