work on my own dreadlocks

Roydraven

Hey everyone I tried myself for the first time ever to create my own dreads for a mask i bought of usurper from here it was an epil FAIL but im not giving up heres what happened in steps if you have any advice dont hesitate to say
step 1 I sculpted my own dread with clay no pic sorry
step 2 I made my own 2 part mold with the clay out of plaster of paris i know crap huh
DSCF4010.jpg

step 3 put on safety mask
DSCF4030.jpg

step 4 pour the 2 part foam i got which was wrong stuff i later found out when it turned out
DSCF4033.jpg

step 5 mold gets stuck ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh have to break the mold of plaster of paris
DSCF4031.jpg

well that's my fail like i said not giving up,i live in Australia so it's hard for me to find
good chemicals where I'm at i bought this crap 2 part foam from melbourne dalchem
and i had to wait like 3 weeks till it finally came and its the wrong stuff help please?

DSCF4010.jpg

DSCF4030.jpg

DSCF4033.jpg

DSCF4031.jpg

hmmm, if you have to use POP as your mold, i would suggest making it narrower, meaning you dont need as much material on the sides. i think that might be what contributed to your mold locking up. and as far as the foam, GL with that, im not sure which is best, looks like you got a stiff foam there.

hmmm, if you have to use POP as your mold, i would suggest making it narrower, meaning you don't need as much material on the sides. i think that might be what contributed to your mold locking up. and as far as the foam, GL with that, im not sure which is best, looks like you got a stiff foam there.
yeah I found that out with the mold as well :lol: its all a learning curve thanks heaps for the advice and yeah I did get the stiff foam

Not sure about the foam you've used but the POP mould size you#ve used would accommodate at least 3 dreds. That means less individual castings later on. Naturally you will need to make the three origianls. Wouldn't matter too much if they weren't identical as dreds are different sizes anyway.

Looks like you've not put enough or no release agent on each plaster half making separation impossible. I use vaseline and it works fine. It's also a good idea to make keys in the mould to allow correct registration (believe me I'v been there) and leave gaps at the ends to allow levers in to help prize the mould apart.
I've never made dreds so can't recommend what foam to use. Bought mine from Bambooie and they are the business.
Good luck with your efforts.

Not sure about the foam you've used but the POP mould size you#ve used would accommodate at least 3 dreds. That means less individual castings later on. Naturally you will need to make the three origianls. Wouldn't matter too much if they weren't identical as dreds are different sizes anyway.

Looks like you've not put enough or no release agent on each plaster half making separation impossible. I use vaseline and it works fine. It's also a good idea to make keys in the mould to allow correct registration (believe me I'v been there) and leave gaps at the ends to allow levers in to help prize the mould apart.
I've never made dreds so can't recommend what foam to use. Bought mine from Bambooie and they are the business.
Good luck with your efforts.

hey mate thanks heaps for the advice its all trial and error i actually think now i might have the right foam and i just mixed it wrong LOL so I'm going to try again soon
just need to make another mould again I had biohunter76 give me some awesome advice on what to use for a mould so now i need to find the stuff here in australia its Platinum silicone
I have no idea where to find this stuff here in australia searched google no results as usual LOL.

oh well I give up I'm buying dreads off bambooie might give it a go again in the future but for now I'll have a go at making easier things that cost less money.

Hey Dude, your mold probably would have worked with enough release. When you say wrong foam, did you mean you used foam that cures hard. You really don't need to spend the money on silicone for a mold. You two part plaster mold will work fine. I've poured hundreds of dreds from molds very similiar to that. Good luck.

Hey Dude, your mold probably would have worked with enough release. When you say wrong foam, did you mean you used foam that cures hard. You really don't need to spend the money on silicone for a mold. You two part plaster mold will work fine. I've poured hundreds of dreds from molds very similiar to that. Good luck.

Hey mate thanks I probably will try in the near future again I have no idea on my foam hey LOL I just bought this foam http://www.dalchem.com.au/index.php?page=s...&Itemid=121 any more help would be appreciated and yeah I def will try release agent next time when i do :D but I'm buying a set from bambooie for now actually I might make some little ones to experiment like baby ones it should be more easier ;)

Believe me, you won't regret buying Bambooie dreds and once you have them, you'll never be arsed making your own. Main problem for us outside the US is the damn postal charges. Certainly stifles a lot of trade in both directions.
I'm pretty sure you would have got there in the end but you probably would have wasted a fair amount of time and money. Really depends how much of each you have. Still think it would have worked with plaster mould, proper release and properly mixed foam.
Cheers.

Believe me, you won't regret buying Bambooie dreds and once you have them, you'll never be arsed making your own. Main problem for us outside the US is the damn postal charges. Certainly stifles a lot of trade in both directions.
I'm pretty sure you would have got there in the end but you probably would have wasted a fair amount of time and money. Really depends how much of each you have. Still think it would have worked with plaster mould, proper release and properly mixed foam.
Cheers.

Yeah I think your right I'm thinking i do have the right foam I just didnt mix it proper as well LOL its pretty fun but it does waste a lot of money I will try again in the future but bambooie is all the way ;)

I dont suppose anyone could help me out with a similar problem... Ive got the dreads made as well as the mask but need to no the best way to attach them, ive figured either cuttin a hole and feeding them through or glueing them can anyone help? (if it is glue then wats the best kind for latex) thx

I used black cyanoacrylate rubberized glue on my booies, it worked perfectly. Joe,(Bambooie) uses the same thing. I stays flexible, even if you spray it woth an accelerator. I used it on lesser quality dreads, and they stayed on for years.

I used black cyanoacrylate rubberized glue on my booies, it worked perfectly. Joe,(Bambooie) uses the same thing. I stays flexible, even if you spray it woth an accelerator. I used it on lesser quality dreads, and they stayed on for years.
A college education, and I misspell with.

Kewl! Where do you obtain said adhesive?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back