Wookie Suit Estimated Costs?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by xmart, Feb 6, 2007.

1. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Guys what's the ballpark price for a tall (6'4) wookie suit, minus the head?

2. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

PM "the Wook" for some info. Its pretty expensive.

3. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

A friend of mine ordered the yak fur
    i believe it costs him 4500 bucks
    that's just for the suit

4. takevin

takevin Sr Member

depends on your skills, you can do a very nice wookie suit, getting the hair from beauty supply as i did, scuplted the undermask, molded it, cast it, made a movable jaw, feet extensions, did all this for around 700, plus a looooooooooooot of time to do it. Chewbacca resource website is a good place to begin. pm me if you have further questions. You can yak fur a lot cheaper then that.

5. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  6. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xmart @ Feb 7 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]1413956[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Oz,

First off, long time no talk. PM me with an update on your event plans in Turkey. Hope they're goin' well.

Okay, now as to your question. Given their value as screen-used suits, it would be extremely foolish to try to convert them to wookiee costumes.

You would run the huge risk of the conversion not going well, and then you'd be stuck with nothing: a couple of butchered screen-used props worth nothing, and a couple of crappy wookiee suits worth very little--that would still not include a mask, or bandolier and pouch. You will have put all kinds of money and time into the conversions, and end up losing money on the project.

You've got something screen-used, unique and of value. My 2 cents is to not destroy them.

Congrats on getting such cool props. :cheers How is it you came by them?

The Wook

7. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Well I would NEVER butcher my screen-used props, and never though of converting them into Wookies :) It was just a question to see, but I never had any intentions to convert them, never will.

"Turkey" plans are going well, we're setting up the 501st here, and we are very close to getting it done and get accepted. Lots of the folks here are ready to fly CIV, so I'll see you there hopefully buddy.

8. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xmart @ Feb 7 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1414033[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds good.

9. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i couldnt get through the posts fast enough. LOL.

i was about to say hey thats a great score, then it hit me... is he going to butcher these things... :confused

then i got to the bottom... LOL.

seriously AWESOME score. i love jack black... and the ALMIGHTY D... B)

10. stealthtrooper

stealthtrooper New Member

I'm just about to start a Wookie costume myself and so far I've put about $3,500 into materials :eek

11. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

Wig hair wookies are a LOT cheaper, but you get what you pay for.. Nat. Hair tech fur is $$$$$ but looks fantastic. I made this one for not much over 100.00 in materials... but the cost would be a LOT in labor.. takes a long time to do.
    I latch-hooked this one onto a mesh fabric over a period of months..the mask was a halloween dollar mask with hair just hot glued on & the teeth & nose are sculpy.. It looked a lot better when it was new.. :lol
    This is a pic of a friend in it..Looks like crap now.. the head hair has fallen & the teeth have fallen out..needs a LOT of work..
    [​IMG]

12. takevin

takevin Sr Member

using wig hair if done properly look and turns out really good if you know how to use it, apply it, and so on, at least on mine it did. What costs the most is the time it takes to make it. :)

13. Hitogiri

Hitogiri Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He's an expensive furry dude to do. I knew it would be alot but 4500, geez. lol

14. stealthtrooper

HUGE photo gallery added to the website:D

15. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

A few years ago, my sister came to me and wanted me to help one of her friends make a wookie costume... I told her it would be $1000's of dollars. She didn't ask me a second time.

16. darthravenger

darthravenger Well-Known Member

Has anyone just tried making their own unique wookiee costume based on their own
    individual body height and specs? Id rather do that than try to make a Chewy suit when
    youre not over 6 ft tall. It would make more sense and mean more to me to create my own
    wookiee persona with my own attire. Has anyone else tried to do any Wooks strictly from ROTS?

17. Karma

Karma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthravenger @ Feb 23 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]1424916[/snapback]</div>
    If I knew a good wookie mask source, I would totally do this and be a "tween" wookie (I'm only 5'6"). THe only things holding me back would be the feet and face, since I can't sculpt worth a darn.
  18. takevin

takevin Sr Member

no reason you cant be talller uses drywall extensions, or in my case i used boots, witha wood frame underneath and bigger feet to blend in to give me extra height. Yes there are a few wookies out there that are not chewie too. I sculpted the undermask, first time for me and it came out fantastic, just time and patience.

19. stealthtrooper

51 wookie sample growls added in wav format :D

20. stealthtrooper

The underskull sculpting has begun and added to the site

21. Karma

Karma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stealthtrooper @ Feb 27 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]1427811[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, lookin' good.
    You mention you are not happy with the teeth- would you consider adding them in afterwards and not making them part of the sculpt? You could then buy prosthetic teeth, or something along the lines of dentures.
  22. stealthtrooper

Yep thats exactly what I've decided to do

23. Karma

Karma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stealthtrooper @ Feb 27 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]1427897[/snapback]</div>
    Great minds think alike. :D
  24. stealthtrooper

Underskull molding complete

25. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Paul thats a vast improvement your looking good ;) :lol

really cant wait to see the end product of this keep up the good work

26. stealthtrooper

27. vaderbreath

vaderbreath Well-Known Member

That's pretty dang cool, my friend. I completely respect all the work you've put into it. Keep up the good work!

-Corey

28. takevin

takevin Sr Member

Can u adjust the lower jaw, iin my mask, i have the lower teeth set back, so the mouth can close completely, and it opens about 1.75 inches. Looks like u did the same way with attaching the lower jaw to the skull with springs, took a little while for me to get it right.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  29. stealthtrooper

Yep its really just the mouth area that still needs some tweaking

30. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

there is a great german site on how to build a wookie costume with a tutorial and a cost calculation (of course with the time factor)!

here you go:

http://wookiee.de/englisch.html

31. stealthtrooper