Wonder Woman on a budget

Shellhead

Active Member
My Wife has always wanted to do Wonder Woman--unfortunately--the costumes available at mass market aren't always that great. Anyway, I took it upon myself to make her one. Problem is I don't know a good seamstress and I know squat about sewing so..I decided to go ahead and start with a market costume as a base and build on it. With a 7 mo old, our budget is pretty tight so we were pretty frugal with the items used so far..

My wife always loved the look based on this rendering found online:
http://www.comicsninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/16geh6d.jpg

I did too, but didn't know what costume to use as a base.
In the end, we found one that was 'similar' but doable:
Lingerie Skirt (Dreamgirl): BABE A LONIAN WARRIOR QUEEN (6422).

and I started with El Cheapo-n-Quick rendering for reference.

We came across a belt that was pretty unusual--needless to say--my Wife had to make it a part of the costume so, oh yeah, it was a great $2 yard sale find in my opinion

I searched for Cuffs but again, as Halloween is quickly upon us, I didn't feel very confident ordering items and hope they would arrive on time. I found some 'Roman' cuffs at the Halloween store and felt they would work just fine and their pattern would lend itself well to the overall look. I found some brass star buttons at my local Hobby store and painted the stars red. Drilled a hole in the cuffs and screwed them in.


We now realized this Wonder Woman wasn't going to be the Classic, Comic Look so another liberty taken in design was that of the Tiara--another Local Halloween shop find. I just hot glued a star to it and -BLAMO-Tiara finished.

I removed the cape from the costume we purchased and painted the top and bottom their respective colors. Found some adhesive stars at my Hobby store, reinforced with some glue and attached them to the skirt.


Today I am starting on the Eagle breast-plate and will continue to update this project once I complete it.
Overall, it's been a painless, low budget project but I think the overall look will be better than what my wife and I could hope for.
Hope you like :)
 
Last edited:

Shellhead

Active Member
Thank you for the kind words guys :)

Moving on to the Logo/Breast Plate I found a graphic online that I liked and attempted to emulate it.
View attachment 71667
Using some styrene, I cut out the design and shaped it with a heat gun.
View attachment 71677View attachment 71678


Unfortunately, I didn't realize how badly the heat had warped the design (I need glasses). and a LOT of imperfections came through after I painted it.
:confused
View attachment 71679

SO..i decided on a 'do-over' but this time I figured, heck--do something different. So, I decided to add feathers to the design as well as rivets for just a little armor detail.

I cleared the remaining gold off of the styrene--primed the logo again and finished it off with gold paint and rivets.

In the end, It's certainly different than what I had intended but I (think) still retains the Eagle/WW breast plate look and I like it more. :)

Now on to attaching it to the dress, add a lasso and boots and I'll have finished, modeled pics this weekend.

Thanks again for looking!
 

adrenalin rush

New Member
My wife choose wonder woman too this year, I am going to show her this thread. Your idea is pretty solid and definetly better than those that are out there!
 

Shellhead

Active Member
Re: Wonder Woman on a budget-FINISHED

Well, finally finished and my wife was pretty anxious to try it on. She's pretty happy needless to say:)

I had a lot of fun putting this together. Thanks for following along and the kind words.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
 
Last edited:

omel

Well-Known Member
Re: Wonder Woman on a budget-FINISHED

Well, finally finished and my wife was pretty anxious to try it on. She's pretty happy needless to say:)

I had a lot of fun putting this together. Thanks for following along and the kind words.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
looks outstanding:thumbsup, great job, pretty sure the mrs. was stoked :)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
 
Top