Wonder Woman Genderbend

IAmTheClayman

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just gonna leave this here. Got bored tonight, don't know if I'll ever get around to making this--I certainly don't have the skill or time to right now--and honestly if someone more capable wanted to build this nothing would make me happier.

But here's my take on a male Wonder Woman: Wonder Man? Wonder Guy? Wonder Dude? Whatever.

WonderMan.png

So...yeah, I couldn't put this down. It's just too interesting of an exercise: what elements would be most affected by the gender swap, what needs to be changed in the transition from comic book to real world costume, how can I balance purchased items with built items? Still don't think I'll actually work on this for a while yet, but as a design exercise I've really enjoyed this.

That said, here's my final design:
WonderManFinal.png

And here are some of the drafts I went through:
WonderManProcess.png

I definitely wanted to do more to combine contemporary tech with the Ancient Greek aesthetic. The red leather weave is a take on Hoplite armor, the bracers are modified from actual Greek artifacts, and the shirt and pants are just going to be a store-bought compression shirt and cargo pants.

So for now this thread is probably going into hibernation. I'd love some feedback though, especially with regards on how to actually build this. I'm thinking foam (having never used it before): thicker EVA for the bracers, WW armor and pauldrons, and something like Worbla or Wonderflex for the smaller details and the basket weave

Just a suggestion. With the pattern going from the lower chest down to the belt, you may want to break it up a bit to give it a muscular feel. With all one pattern and style, just in the render it looks like a pretty straight form versus a toned look.

Worbla will get hard, so it will be like wearing body armor that doesn't move with you. You may want to break it up into a few pieces if you are going to do it out of Worbla.

Just a suggestion. With the pattern going from the lower chest down to the belt, you may want to break it up a bit to give it a muscular feel. With all one pattern and style, just in the render it looks like a pretty straight form versus a toned look.

Worbla will get hard, so it will be like wearing body armor that doesn't move with you. You may want to break it up into a few pieces if you are going to do it out of Worbla.

Thank you for this, I was definitely feeling like the design was missing something. Actually it was missing 2 things: I'd somehow forgotten about the golden lasso. And once I put that in I realized that, while red, silver and black reads well for a comic book design, I needed something a little more eye-catching.

So this is where Wonderman is at now

WonderManFinal2-5.png [EDIT: the shading on the woven armor isn't as flat in this version]

Because nothing catches the eye like gold trim :D

Attachments

• WonderManFinal2.png
    WonderManFinal2.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Hera Give Me Strength!

I feel like he should be wearing shorts..or at least i would if i were to gender bend a wonderwoman. short silkies (if you know what those are..you know how terribly fashionable they are) :D

greek skirt i would think instead of the pants but hey great work so far

edit misspelled greek stupid phone

Last edited:
It looks like a good design so far. I'd perhaps change the head piece to more of a face guard by extending it down to cover the sides of the face a little, as it still looks very "wonder woman tiara-esque" to me.

Perhaps the addition of a Roman style leather skirt as opposed to pants will look better as well.

Hera Give Me Strength!

I feel like he should be wearing shorts..or at least i would if i were to gender bend a wonderwoman. short silkies (if you know what those are..you know how terribly fashionable they are) :D

greek skirt i would think instead of the pants but hey great work so far

edit misspelled greek stupid phone

It looks like a good design so far. I'd perhaps change the head piece to more of a face guard by extending it down to cover the sides of the face a little, as it still looks very "wonder woman tiara-esque" to me.

Perhaps the addition of a Roman style leather skirt as opposed to pants will look better as well.

There's one problem with all of these: right now I'm 6' and still only 163 lbs trying to put on weight/muscle for my Daredevil costume. I'd have to do leg day everyday for like a year before I felt comfortable wearing a skirt to a con. Or silkies haha

Last edited:
I like it overall. I think you should rethink the cargo pants. Maybe pull the woven effect into the pants as well for some detail. Something like Loki's pants from Avengers. I think it'll be more cohesive and finished. I think some kind of shin armor would be good as well to tie it all together and keep it from being top-heavy.

It's a really interesting idea and I'd love to see it come together.

I dunno, as long as they are not super baggy, cargo pants might work well with the concept. I think the disconnect is when you have a tight armor style top portion and baggy loose bottom portion.

I think it's coming along awesomely.

I really think that tight (tight-ish I guess, tighter is better in my opinion though) blue pants with a silver stripe down the side and greaves with similar details as the bracers is the way to go.

Wow, been a while since I had time to work on this. Have a bit of free time over the holidays so I figure I might as well have some fun with the redesign, but this project is on the backest of burners.

Being completely transparent here, I went with cargo shorts in the original design partially because I have a sum total zero sewing/clothing-making experience (and if the fact that I called it "clothing making" doesn't tip you off I don;t know what will lol), and partially because the initial design was much more modern military focused than what it's evolved into. So if I ever do attempt this, I'll either have to learn those skills, which probably won't happen for a while since my main focus is hard/prop modeling, or commission the soft parts.

That said, I did want to make greaves a part of the design, and I liked SMP's suggestion of using the woven pattern from the armor as an accent on the pants, so without further ado here's the WIP for the newest iteration of Wonder Hombre (name's still under consideration)

WonderMan-v3.png

Please ignore the unsettling lack of feet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back