Wolverine Dog Tags Research

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was inspired by Mara Jade's Father's current run/development of accurate Wolverine Dog Tags to sit down and do some proper research on these. The one's out there now just don't seem 100% spot on and it's nice to see a definitive dog tag replica finally be made.

I went through both of the X films featuring the prop and capped the best sequences. I then cropped, rotated, resized and lightened the images to show the details.

These are the best screenshots from X-men 1-
attachment.php

xm_014_HughJackman.jpg

Also I just love this sequence-
attachment.php

Also, here's an X1 Dog Tag that went up for auction through Profiles in History a few years ago-
Wolverine's dog tag from X-Men - Prop Archives : original movie props, screen used wardrobe

attachment.php

In the auction the size stated is "approx. 1 1/2 in. x 3/4 in." which is slightly different than offical Canadian dog tags. Is this just bad measuring done by the auctioneers or did they reduce the size a bit to make the actor look bigger?

X2: X-Men United Dog Tag-
attachment.php

attachment.php

X2 got rid of the smaller loop of ball chain and has it just hanging from the single chain.

Also there was a Wolverine dog tag set sold at Profiles in History that is from X2 according to the description-

Hugh Jackman Wolverine dog tag display from X-2 : Lot 1012

6321694_1_l.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the Wolverine movie doesn't even exist. Nuff said.

Anybody else have any good info or reference for this central prop?

Nick

Last edited:
Re: Accurate Wolverine Dog Tags

Did the dog tags make an appearance in X3?

Wolvie symbolically throws them away at the end of X2 and I can't remember them appearing in part 3.

Nick

WOW!! Those are THEE best shots of the dogtags I've ever seen!! But then again, I expect that from you, Mr. Daring. :)

Nope, they were lost in the snow with Stryker left to rot. That was the closure Logan wanted and that was end of the Weapon X subplot, and it was meant to symbolize that he had found what he was looking for in Alberta.

XO doesn't count, it's a prequel, not in the trilogy so technically the Weapon X was not in the rest of the story line. And it's garbage... so it was a complete retcon of story and especially to the Canadian story arc and tag. Complete and utter crap it was... So I don't even count this one. ;)

Looking at that X2 auction dog tag I think it might not match up with the others spot on. Some of the lettering looks a little bit 'off'. It may have been a test to see if a normal canadian dog tag would work for the scene but it looks like it didn't break cleanly lke in the film.

Also look at the frame where the two are about to be snapped in two. I think it's two copies of the same "Hero" dog tags super glued together. The edges on the center hole don't line up perfectly if you look closely. The center hole isn't a perfect oval in fact. I think slant downard slightly.

I'll mock up a graphic of the dog tag to show what I mean.

Nick

Re: Screen Accurate Wolverine Dog Tags

I see what you mean. I never noticed that. Pretty crazy that a still can spill the beans on a quick prop gag set-up.

And stamping on those Canadian tags takes alot of pressure, as they are twice as thick as US tags. Standard CA tags are engraved due to the thickness and hardness. I was actually surprised the first time I saw the stamped font on the tags. Somehow the designed "break-away" pre-etched line doens't work....I've tried and they only bent. I had to dremmel the tags apart. As you can see with that jagged mess.

Last edited:
Did a little "work" on the auction dog tag images to bring out details and straighten them up a bit.

X1 on top. X2 tags on the Bottom.
attachment.php

Nick

MJF ...or anyone really,

Any chance of doing some kind of overlay on the top tag to verify an accurate image for spacing on the tag?

attachment.php

10979-tag-copy2.jpg

hmm...if anything I'd say the hole needs to be dropped down a MM or two and the grouped numbers need to be closer together. I happened to noticed that the die that was used had an offset number 2, and it's ever so slightly lower than the rest. Does anyone else see that?

Yeah, once I pulled all this reference together I did notice a few kerning issues and a couple letter/number forms that could be tweaked alittle in MJF's design.

Been meaning to work up my own blueprint but have been bogged down with a couple illustration jobs.

I hate when the real world gets in the way of fun hobby stuff.

Gimme another day or so and I should have something to post up.

Nick

This is my latest version I did a few weeks ago. It is not reflected in the concept art. The changes is the placement of the "W" and I.

This is a lot like the BSG tags I did. You either got to find one and stick with it or idealize it with a mix of all versions.

Last edited:
Much better! Are you building your vectors in illustrator?

Yeah you definitely have to average out some of the elements from the two movies' design specs.

My only main comments left would be-

Check the downward swoop on your "2" form. It should "hook" instead of the straight line you have.

The curve on the "5" is less "boxy" than you have. It's "Swoop" is kinda similar to the "3"'s swoop.

Also the baseline for the characters isn't as perfectly lined up as you have it. The stamped letters kinda hop up and down on each charaacter a bit and give a nice clunky stamped feel. For instance the "L" drops way down compared to the "O" next to it. THe top of the "5" floats above the "8" a good strokes' width too.

Small fiddley stuff like that. I'm a typography/design geek, so this weird stuff really tickles my brain and again I really want to see an end all - be all DEFINITIVE set of tags finally happen.

Nick

Last edited:
Awesome revision!

I threw up the new design next to the two big Hero shots in the two movies. (removed the day glow pink though.)

attachment.php

I think you've totally captured the feel of the movie tag.

Maybe beef up the line weight a smidge... but just barely... and just maybe.

I can totally live with that dog tag in my collection. Way to nail it, bub. :thumbsup

Can't wait to see the run happen!

Nick

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back