Wolf Medallion, The Witcher 3

Terry Lyons

With my usual slow pace of completing projects, it’s nice every once in a while to work on something smaller that can be completed in a more reasonable time-frame. Making more Witcher props has been on my list for a while, and the iconic Wolf Medallion is a great companion piece for my Wolf School Swords.

Scabbards_2.png

Medallion_side.png

Medallion_1.png

I 3D modelled the piece, as I usually do, but instead of using the model to create blueprints for fabrication, I spent extra time figuring out the practical design of the piece digitally, and had it 3D printed. The majority of the work on the project involved lots of priming and sanding to prepare the print for mold-making, with some filing and rework to refine details missed in the print. I used my usual cold casting method to ensure that the metal surface would match that of my Wolf School swords, and used similar weathering techniques to match the finish. Red pear-shaped garnets were used for the eyes, with a red LED mounted behind to make them glow. The battery and back of the piece are held in place by neodymium magnets. A heavy gunmetal cable chain completes the medallion.

A detailed build write-up can be found here on my blog.

Thanks for reading,

Terry

Looks great! I started playing the first Witcher recently because I was able to get it cheap. Not too bad, but I'm sure the later ones are better. Those glowing eyes look amazing too!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back