Wizard of OZ set???

Moviefreak

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone ever make screen accurate sets of the Lion's Courage badge, the Tin Man's heart clock and the Scarecrow's diploma?

That would be a great set to have...along with the witches broom and ruby slippers.

The diploma wouldn't be that difficult to do. I don't think you ever see the front of it so you could take some liberty there.

As for the other two they can be had although as TGG points out their Rubies... That said, perhaps a good starting point? This would be a great set to have for sure, may just have to get started on that diploma!

Just a quick search found this:

YouTube - scarecrow doesn't get a brain after all

You can see a little text on the top but that's it. The rest has to be extrapolated from what the Wizard says.

Edit: Here's the script he says. Doesn't match the text on the page from what I can tell...

Therefore, by virtue of the authority
vested in me by the Universitatus
Committeeatum e plurbis unum, I hereby
confer upon you the honorary degree of Th.D.

Just thought I would add some pictures for fun.

Medal001.jpg

courage.jpg

The Courage Medal was consigned to a Sotheby’s Entertainment Memorabilia auction in May 1997. The medal was purchased at that auction by the current owner, Michael Stein of New Jersey. Maybe someone could look into getting pictures from the auction or contacting the current owner....

Anyone ever make screen accurate sets of the Lion's Courage badge, the Tin Man's heart clock and the Scarecrow's diploma?

That would be a great set to have...along with the witches broom and ruby slippers.

That would be a great set to have. I only have the little Tin Man's Heart and the Ruby Slippers miniature Christmas ornaments from Hallmark. (They were only like 5 or 6$ new, but now.....whew!) I don't know why they didn't carry through and do the badge and diploma? They quit carrying the miniatures line about that time.

MaulWalker did a fantastic broom with wicked witch costume.
about it in
Thread about hat
a little more about it in
Thread about broom
most pics missing but here's one
Pic 1

Shylaah

The Courage Medal was consigned to a Sotheby’s Entertainment Memorabilia auction in May 1997. The medal was purchased at that auction by the current owner, Michael Stein of New Jersey. Maybe someone could look into getting pictures from the auction or contacting the current owner....

thats what they did on hollywood treasures... theres AWESOME shots of it on there. if we can find some screencaps, thats all we need.

This thread is ancient but worth a bump. Only one guy on Pinterest makes a good, screen accurate, real metal/leather/straw/wood broom replica for $375. NO ONE makes that medal in wood or metal; only the cheesy Halloween Rubies crap. Ditto the Tin Man's heart. Wish someone would try these.

This thread is ancient but worth a bump. Only one guy on Pinterest makes a good, screen accurate, real metal/leather/straw/wood broom replica for $375. NO ONE makes that medal in wood or metal; only the cheesy Halloween Rubies crap. Ditto the Tin Man's heart. Wish someone would try these.

It's not the usual type of item I make, but it would definitely have to be called a classic prop. Can you figure out proper dimensions and/or get better pictures ?

As far as I know, the cheap toy ones are probably the correct size. I don't have any sources for the actual prop measurements and the 'hero' prop seems lost to posterity. Can you work with the toy ones for size and the photos of the real ones for the details?

In my dreams, this medal would be a plated, lightweight alloy metal, but even a good wooden one would be a huge improvement over these plastic things.
No one makes a full size repro of the Scarecrow's degree or the Wicked Witch of the East's death certificate either, although the smaller facsimiles look accurate but just too small.

In my dreams, this medal would be a plated, lightweight alloy metal, but even a good wooden one would be a huge improvement over these plastic things.
No one makes a full size repro of the Scarecrow's degree or the Wicked Witch of the East's death certificate either, although the smaller facsimiles look accurate but just too small.

I love the Wizard of Oz. I'm going to make one for myself. But I'm not going all out, I agree the toy one doesn't even look worth having, so I'm just going to make one a couple steps above that. I'll post a pic when I'm finished, but I'm not even aiming for a professional quality prop, just something that looks nice on a shelf.

I love the Wizard of Oz. I'm going to make one for myself. But I'm not going all out, I agree the toy one doesn't even look worth having, so I'm just going to make one a couple steps above that. I'll post a pic when I'm finished, but I'm not even aiming for a professional quality prop, just something that looks nice on a shelf.

I think a better copy is what most people would want, if not a perfect copy. I'd bet the studio prop was painted wood, because of cost and time. Why would they go to the bother of a casting? They were in the illusion business.

If you'd make me one, too, I'd buy it! Hope you'll git'r done!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back