WitchKing Helm repair and repaint (with pics)

PHArchivist

Master Member
Picked up an LOTR WitchKing Helm from BudK.

Arrived with the central, main spire/spike broken. A clean break - I could fix it if I'm spot on with the CA glue. Would like to touch up the pverall paint just a bit anyway.

I know I SHOULD just return it, but don't really want to hassel (at least repairing is "fun" in that it relates to what I/we do in this hobby).

I'll ry to post pics later...

Last edited:
Re: To repair, or return...?

And who says the replacement won't be damaged too (maybe even worse than this one).

I vote: fix it, & spruce it up yourself. ;)

Funnily enough the one i bought years back was reduced in price due to the very same break on the main central spike. Got a great deal on it, and it's never bothered me, as the break was clean and you can only tell close up.

I'm sure you'll be able to repair, and make the break almost invisible.

Picked up an LOTR WitchKng Helm from BudK.

Arrived with the cnetral, main spire/spike broken. A clean break - I could fix it if I'm spot on with the CA glue. Would like to touch up the pverall paint just a bit anyway.

I know I SHOULD just return it, but don't really want to hassel (at least repairing is "fun" in that it relates to what I/we do in this hobby).

I'll ry to post pics later...

Was it packaged and shipped in a responsible manner? If so, then **** happens, doesn't sound like it's bad enough to make a stink about it unless you just want to start trouble. Just fix it and do your touch up.

The Short: Send it back

The Long: From a buyers view, it wasn't your fault, it was bad packing. Sounds like this is something that is a recurring thing too and the seller should try and fix this problem. You didn't pay for a "fixer-upper", you paid for a MIB. Me, I'd contact the seller, ask if they would do a partial refund or did they want it sent back to replace it.

From a sellers point of view, PLEASE send my stuff back. I always have isurance on packages and have never had a problem with a claim at all, that's my side of the deal, not the buyers resposibility. I do not want anything out there that is ~shoddy~ or has "A Story" about it, if you know what I mean. If there is one it better be "I got this from J&J, isn't it awesome?...the end."

Was it packaged and shipped in a responsible manner? If so, then **** happens, doesn't sound like it's bad enough to make a stink about it unless you just want to start trouble. Just fix it and do your touch up.

Thanks Kerr... It was - with the exception that there was no cushion between the "marketing packaging" and the outer shipping box. So the shipper was relying wholly on how UC packaged it at the factory.

Funnily enough the one i bought years back was reduced in price due to the very same break on the main central spike. Got a great deal on it, and it's never bothered me, as the break was clean and you can only tell close up.

I'm sure you'll be able to repair, and make the break almost invisible.

Mine is a clean break too.

Upon test fitting, the seam is nearly invisible, but does require some pressure to make it fully idsappear. There is also a smaller piece that I retrieved from the packaging, but it too fits in perfectly; like a puzzle piece. There there is a final, 1/2" notch that is missing entirely, so will require some Sculpy and paint.

Beuaty is that it is a rugged, weathered piece to begin with.

I vote fix it.

I would because I would just not want to deal with the hassle of customer service and then waiting for my piece to get back to them and then wait for a new one to be shipped...bleegghhh!

And as stated above why take the chance that the next one is not broken worse. UC probably should have put some kind of reinforcements inside the casts.

I honestly don't even see this as Budk's fault really. The packaging that was designed by UC should have been made where it can withstand some abuse. All shippers, I don't care which company from the biggest to the smallest treat your parcels like crap. Don't get me wrong there are probably a lot of good people that try to be careful, but these shipments change hands so many times that's all the more chance for your package to get in the hands of someone that doesn't care or an accident to happen.

I vote fix it too. It sounds like design flaw. Everything I've ever gotten from Budk was so well packaged it took forever to open.

Yeah - no real complaints with BudK. As mentiioned here in the thread, **** happens. And fixing it adds a little "me" to the prop as well.

Thanks Kerr... It was - with the exception that there was no cushion between the "marketing packaging" and the outer shipping box. So the shipper was relying wholly on how UC packaged it at the factory.

Yup, if it was UC packaging at fault here, I can't imagine the seller had any reason to believe it wouldn't be fine in shipping.

...Beuaty is that it is a rugged, weathered piece to begin with.

Seems you like it :) Fix it up yourself & you'll like it even more :thumbsup Just use extra strong superglue to keep the pressure on for a minute or so in order to make the hairline break vanish completely.

Re: To repair, or return (with pics)...?

No, I vote return it. Honestly, it's not YOUR fault it's broken. Just get a new one.

OR, send me that one and buy another one!???:cry

Too late - I fixed it about a week ago. Just finished smoothing over the seam today.

All's well, EXCEPT I'll have to repaint. Tought I'd be able to match the charcoal grey color close enough, but no...

Will have to respray the entire helm, add back in the silver drybrushing, and then the rust.

Here are some more shots of the repair...

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-031.jpg-79222d1325257813

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-032.jpg-79223d1325257813

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-033.jpg-79224d1325257813

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-034.jpg-79225d1325257813

Last edited:

And subsequent repaint.

Everything above the eyes was repainted. And yes, Russ, you can still see the line...

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-035.jpg-79226d1325258013

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-036.jpg-79227d1325258013

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-037.jpg-79228d1325258013

witchking-helm-repair-repaint-pics-wk-038.jpg-79229d1325258013

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back