Wiring for 5V fans with 9V or AA batteries?

Marthony

Hello,

I'm planning to add cooling fans into my next costume build, a 9' G1 Transformers Devastator rig similar to this: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Martaxus/devastator-old_zps1tysoxul.jpg. I want to have a number of small cooling fans in the rig, 1 on each thigh and at least two in the torso.

I've wired a lot of LED circuits with resistors & 9V batteries, but not fans. I understand the draw is much greater and would try to use the smallest units I can find, hence the 5V .15A hardware. I don't think the LED circuit designer tool at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz is ideal for this, or is the 'diode forward voltage' 1500mA here?

Could someone please point me to a reference/tutorial for this?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm planning to add cooling fans into my next costume build, a 9' G1 Transformers Devastator rig similar to this: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Martaxus/devastator-old_zps1tysoxul.jpg. I want to have a number of small cooling fans in the rig, 1 on each thigh and at least two in the torso.

I've wired a lot of LED circuits with resistors & 9V batteries, but not fans. I understand the draw is much greater and would try to use the smallest units I can find, hence the 5V .15A hardware. I don't think the LED circuit designer tool at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz is ideal for this, or is the 'diode forward voltage' 1500mA here?

Could someone please point me to a reference/tutorial for this?

Thanks!

1500 is not the forward voltage for the diode , 5v is

.15 amps is .150 ma not 1500 ma which is 1.5 amps..........

you will need a 27 ohm 1 watt resister to each fan from the source voltage............

the designer will work for any electrical circuit

Last edited:
Arg. I meant 'diode forward current', but I guess that was obvious. Thank you Vidman for also correcting my units of measure; had a brainfart and confused this with microamps vs. milliamps.

Andyj, what heat do you expect from such circuits? I'm hoping to keep with the KISS principle by setting up individual circuits & batteries for each. On a side note, I also plan to add a switch to each circuit for easy control while suited up.

Next up, how to best estimate the operating life of a 9V battery when not provided with its rated capacity?

Thanks guys!

Andyj, what heat do you expect from such circuits? I'm hoping to keep with the KISS principle by setting up individual circuits & batteries for each. On a side note, I also plan to add a switch to each circuit for easy control while suited up.

Next up, how to best estimate the operating life of a 9V battery when not provided with its rated capacity?

Thanks guys!

For heat from the circuit will be from the resistor which is 1 watt, so not much heat if any ,,,,

operating time depends on quality and type of 9v battery you are going to use , my experience is at least 1 hr to 1.5 hrs run time, but that again depends on the battery,, try setting up your circuit and see how long it will actually run, remember to make it a complete test setup,, i.e. wires, fan, batt connector, resistor ,switch a complete circuit and see how long it will run and also to check the flow rate of the particular size fans you will be using.

Hope this helps out a little more ;)

Last edited:
I'm trying to keep down on weight, so fewer batteries & size of them to match the fan's voltage the better.

Thanks!

After more thought (+ discussion at cosplay.com) I've decided to go with 5V fans powered by either 3x AAA batteries or 4x 1.25V rechargeable AA or AAA batteries, almost certainly the former unless I run into an awesome deal on rechargeables. I'm to understand I don't need a resistor or other items in the circuit, just the batteries, battery holder, fan, wire, and tools to connect properly (I'd solder everything).

I understand I could go with 12V fans powered by 8 AAA batteries, but would prefer to keep the weight down.

Thanks for your help everyone!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back