Wiring for 5V fans with 9V or AA batteries?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Marthony, May 1, 2015.

1. Marthony

Marthony Active Member

Hello,

I'm planning to add cooling fans into my next costume build, a 9' G1 Transformers Devastator rig similar to this: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Martaxus/devastator-old_zps1tysoxul.jpg. I want to have a number of small cooling fans in the rig, 1 on each thigh and at least two in the torso.

I've wired a lot of LED circuits with resistors & 9V batteries, but not fans. I understand the draw is much greater and would try to use the smallest units I can find, hence the 5V .15A hardware. I don't think the LED circuit designer tool at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz is ideal for this, or is the 'diode forward voltage' 1500mA here?

Could someone please point me to a reference/tutorial for this?

Thanks!

2. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

1500 is not the forward voltage for the diode , 5v is

.15 amps is .150 ma not 1500 ma which is 1.5 amps..........

you will need a 27 ohm 1 watt resister to each fan from the source voltage............

the designer will work for any electrical circuit

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. AndyJ

AndyJ Active Member

Honestly for a fairly high load, you'd probably be happier just getting a small power supply. It wont heat up and you can put more stuff on easily.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2851

4. Marthony

Marthony Active Member

Arg. I meant 'diode forward current', but I guess that was obvious. Thank you Vidman for also correcting my units of measure; had a brainfart and confused this with microamps vs. milliamps.

Andyj, what heat do you expect from such circuits? I'm hoping to keep with the KISS principle by setting up individual circuits & batteries for each. On a side note, I also plan to add a switch to each circuit for easy control while suited up.

Next up, how to best estimate the operating life of a 9V battery when not provided with its rated capacity?

Thanks guys!

5. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

For heat from the circuit will be from the resistor which is 1 watt, so not much heat if any ,,,,

operating time depends on quality and type of 9v battery you are going to use , my experience is at least 1 hr to 1.5 hrs run time, but that again depends on the battery,, try setting up your circuit and see how long it will actually run, remember to make it a complete test setup,, i.e. wires, fan, batt connector, resistor ,switch a complete circuit and see how long it will run and also to check the flow rate of the particular size fans you will be using.

Hope this helps out a little more ;)

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  6. LrdSatyr8

LrdSatyr8 Sr Member

Why not just get a fan that was made to run off a 12v source? I know I bought a fan that plugs into my vans cigarette lighter.

7. Marthony

Marthony Active Member

I'm trying to keep down on weight, so fewer batteries & size of them to match the fan's voltage the better.

Thanks!

8. Marthony

Marthony Active Member

After more thought (+ discussion at cosplay.com) I've decided to go with 5V fans powered by either 3x AAA batteries or 4x 1.25V rechargeable AA or AAA batteries, almost certainly the former unless I run into an awesome deal on rechargeables. I'm to understand I don't need a resistor or other items in the circuit, just the batteries, battery holder, fan, wire, and tools to connect properly (I'd solder everything).

I understand I could go with 12V fans powered by 8 AAA batteries, but would prefer to keep the weight down.

Thanks for your help everyone!

vidman likes this.