Wire framing ideas

hawaiianryanr

So I’m working on a costume that involves tentacle like pieces. I’m looking for a metal wire similar to those old wire clothes hangers you get from the dry cleaners. I need it to be thin enough to be molded and bent. I can’t repurpose hangers because I need continuous pieces with out breaks at least 12ft in length. I also like the hanger metal because it is still very light weight as this will be attached to my back.

does anyone have any ideas of where o can find something like this, and if there is a proper name for it what it’s called?

With a little on-line research you will find most clothes hangers are made of 14.5 gauge painted or coated steel wire. Some heavier hangers are made from a thicker and heavier 13 gauge steel wire. (smaller number thicker wire). The even number wire gauge is often more common and so cheaper. You might look for 14 (thinner than cheap clothes hangers) or 12 gauge rolls of wire. It may be listed as "hanger wire" or "(hay) baler wire" or just steel wire. Bale wire is usually 13 gauge and can be cost effective in rural/farm areas and can come in rolls or in precut lengths so you need to check any product description carefully.

You can check out "suspended ceiling tile hanger wire". It is inexpensive, comes in 100 foot roils, and can be found in most home improvement and hardware stores. Note there is both 18 gauge and 12 gauge versions.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back