[WIP] U-AVP: Ultimate Aliens vs. Predator (Mini-TC for GZDoom)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Blade3327

Banner.png

ORIGINALDescription.png

INTRO:
This thread used to be sort of a "what if" deal. Remember Doom? Well, what if Aliens and Predators in Doom were remade from scratch for 2011? That little idea has taken off into a brand-new project. From now on, this will serve as the place where all work and misc. updates will be posted. For those of you unfamiliar with Doom or more specifically it's ports, scroll down to the area underneath the Downloads section. You can't miss it.
Without further ado, the meat and potatoes of this introductory post.

CONCEPT:
A semi-mini-TC ('TC' stands for 'total conversion') consisting of three large film-based maps with the goal of bringing Alien and Predator back to Doom once again, putting an emphasis on keeping the original game's classic retro feel. "Aliens TC" has gone down in history as the first total conversion ever made, and this is even more impressive considering how successful it was for its time. Doomers like myself still enjoy the mod today, but with the new features and pushed-back limits of the latest engines, it's time the classic idea of the AVP TC got a reboot for the present. New monsters with DECORATE programming, real AVP 2 textures packing detail, AVP Ogg Vorbis soundtracks, a motion tracker HUD, and new movie-based environments with the level of complexity now possible thanks to GZDoom. In essence, an Aliens vs. Predator makeover that retains its Doom roots while pumping up content to 2011, resulting in a completely new experience.

Classic sprites from the original "Aliens TC" are used for the weapons, as well as new ones for the enemies. The Aliens were done with a quite-suitable Soul Harvester base and the Predators were done with a recolored Imp base. Powerups behave like those in Doom 2, but with an AVP theme (Marine helmet attachment for enhanced night vision, Predator gauntlet piece for partial invisibility, etc.) This mod is being developed for a non-vanilla port (more information in a later section) to ensure extra technical features in an environment that still fits into the game's IWAD -- Doom 2.

STORY:

(Part 1) - Fear Aboard the Freighter
Players assume the role of an outcast who, after claiming that Weyland-Yutani is using its employees as cannon-fodder in the process of acquiring bio-weapons, is assigned to work on a space freighter hauling cargo to one of the Company's terraformed planets known as LV-426. Within a number of weeks in space, the ship picks up on the beacon of a derelict craft located on the far side of the planetoid, giving it reason to wake the crew and autopilot them towards the signal's source to investigate. Upon breaching the atmosphere, the landing gear fails and the freighter plummets into the rock, knocking you unconscious. By the time you come to, you realize you're the only one that remains in a dark, powerless ship, crash-landed near a mysterious craft.
This map will be based on the Nostromo and the Derelict spacecraft.

(Part 2) - Search and Rescue
The Company executives are furious with your decisions regarding the freighter and charge you with everything they have a penalty for. They soon learn of the horrors of LV-426 and send out a USCM team to rescue any colonists that may have survived. You join the team as an expert on the indigenous life of the planetoid. For maximum coverage, the combat squad is dropped closer to the Alien hive, while you are left farther out to scour for more-useful equipment before rendezvousing with them. A massive horde of Xenomorphs is encountered -- as well as what may be an even deadlier threat to humanity.
This map will be based on the Hadley's Hope colony with a full hive.

(Part 3) - Wasteland Preserve
Once again, you are alone. You take control of the scraped-up Marine ship and escape the dark planetoid. This time, you do not bother to return to Gateway, knowing full-well the consequences of arriving by yourself in a vessel full of corpses and property damage. Instead, it is raised to your attention that a Company research vessel has been sent to one of the Weyland-Yutani "sweat-shop" moons, a wasteland used for lead-working. Fearing the worst after your recent endeavors, you fly over to the moon and begin your search for the truth. Within moments, you find out you are not the only one on the hunt... but neither are you the real prey.
This map will be based on the Fury 161 Leadworks with some semi-outdoor areas.

HUD:

ALIENSStatusBarPREVIEW.png

Replacing the Doom Marine's famous mug shot is the USCM motion tracker. While it's not possible to actually track movement, this handy gizmo pulses like the real thing and will still let you know which direction you're being attacked from... in the form of a nifty directional blob. Available arms will be listed on the top-left, above the status bar. Available keys will be listed on the top-right, above the status bar. Download links are listed at the bottom of this post, so players can take it for a spin before the final battle on LV-426.

WEAPONS (Complete with movie quotes cheesily thrown in!):

Combat Knife - Any Marine would be lost without a last resort like this. It won't do much damage against multiple targets, but it's better than sharp sticks when holding off a single contact.

Pistol - A simple standard-issue USCM handgun. Nothing fancy, just a little something to keep you alive when you've been thrown into the meat grinder.

Shotgun - Some like to keep this puppy handy for close encounters. Never know when you might need to pack an extra punch.

Pulse Rifle - The pride and joy of the USCM, the M14A Pulse Rifle is key to success in any mission. A solid firing rate, plus the option to attach an underbarrel grenade-launcher. Ready to get it on!

Grenade-Launcher Attachment Kit - As if the Pulse Rifle wasn't useful enough already, this kit will add an alternate firing mode to one of your most important weapons. The deadly grenades fly fast, so make sure you've got time to duck.

SmartGun - Patience is rewarded only for the leanest and meanest Marines in the galaxy. The highly-advanced SmartGun is the ultimate in elite weaponry. Rapid fire at its finest, but be aware it needs a moment to cool after shooting.

ENEMIES:

Warrior Alien (Completed and programmed)-
ALIENPromo.png

Predator (Completed and programmed. This is a design based on the original character, the P1. I might make more sprite sets for other movie designs, like the P2 and AVP Elder)-
PREDATORPromo.png

Alien Queen (WIP; all side view walking frames complete)-
QUEENPromo.png

There will be Eggs with Facehuggers as well, based on modified sprites from "Aliens TC"

SOUNDS:
The mod will feature sounds from the Aliens vs. Predator 2 game, based off the Alien and Predator films.

MUSIC:
The soundtrack to this mod will be that from the first Aliens vs. Predator game by Rebellion. Music may change in-level for boss battles and other situations that call for it.

TEXTURES:
The textures are from the Aliens vs. Predator 2 texture pack, from the AfterGlow.

PORT:
The port needed to run this mod is GZDoom, so the maps will take advantage of 3D flooring.

MISC. IMAGES AND SNEAK-PEEKS:

Ammunition pickups (SmartGun cartridge, Pistol clip, Pulse Rifle magazine, Pulse Rifle grenade, Pulse Rifle grenade box)...
2wcqhah.png.gif

A small preview of the main menu selection screen...
2645lea.png

A 'cast list' of the different types of Predators I made. Only the P1 (now updated to look like V.2 in the last picture) has a completed sprite sheet and has been programmed/finalized. I might make others, like I mentioned above in the Enemies section.
15d3os4.png

A comparison between the original Predator I created and a slight update I did a few months later...
PREDATORVersionComparison.png

ACTUAL SCREENSHOTS:
(These screens were taken before the status bar was finished, so they use GZDoom's alternate HUD. Rest assured, the motion tracker status bar will be in the final game.)

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140646.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140707.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140725.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140750.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140822.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140847.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140906.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100830_205831.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100830_205820.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101108_204326.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101108_204316.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101108_204223.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101110_190740.png

TO-DO LIST:
> Complete Alien Queen Sprites
> Program Alien Queen Sprites
> Complete Maps

DOWNLOADS:

Motion Tracker HUD-
SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a2e65v
zSHARE: http://www.zshare.ne...4800828d0603e8/

Note - This status bar is NOT the final thing; my game will have 5 weapons instead of Doom's traditional 7 (I only added 7 in this download so it'll make sense within Doom's context). Pay no mind to the ammunition types on the far right, as those have yet to be programmed and they apply only to my game. All damage bugs have been fixed since the last version and this updated download is widescreen-compatible.
Lastly, this is purely a little demo, so please don't distribute it yourselves or use it in your own mods just yet. With that said, enjoy!

Here's some important information for Doom newbies that might be interested. In order to play this mod, you will need a copy of the DOOM2.wad file (this is known as the IWAD). The IWAD can be acquired by purchasing Doom 2 on disc or online, like via Steam. Once you have the IWAD, you can download mods for the game (also .wad files), known conversationally as PWADs. You will need the specific port program that this particular mod requires, which is called GZDoom. This program is free and can be found and downloaded with a quick Google search. It may sound a bit complex, but it really isn't. No crazy installations required, just things to download, unzip, and place. Upon getting your IWAD(s) and PWAD(s) in the same folder as GZDoom, the final step is to drag and drop the PWAD onto GZDoom.exe. You can also set your computer to open .wad files with GZDoom automatically, so that in the future you can simply double-click on a .wad and it'll open GZDoom without having to drag and drop.

Banner.png

ORIGINALDescription.png

ALIENSStatusBarPREVIEW.png

ALIENPromo.png

PREDATORPromo.png

QUEENPromo.png

2wcqhah.png.gif

2645lea.png

15d3os4.png

PREDATORVersionComparison.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140646.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140707.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140725.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140750.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140822.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140847.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100831_140906.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100830_205831.png

Screenshot_Doom_20100830_205820.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101108_204326.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101108_204316.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101108_204223.png

Screenshot_Doom_20101110_190740.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Guan Thwei

Ok, now see if I knew this was fully being programmable in the game. I would have been playing DOOM all the time when I was in the 7th grade

Blade3327

Thanks, guys! Lol, the ability to modify Doom wasn't really available until sometime in the mid-90s. I'm currently playing and modding for a port called ZDoom, which makes programming a lot easier. It has a wide variety of enhancements to make Doom look better and do more things than ever before.

The downside is that my Alien (unlike other Doom monsters) only has front-facing attack frames. In other words, you can't see him attack from other angles. This is okay as long as I can disable the code that makes monsters fight with eachother, but it'd look weird if I put him in a game along with Preds. I mean, that's a scenario in which in-fighting should occur... Guess I'll do repairs and add more as I go. Boredom is a wonderful thing.

Sigh... finals have been over for a month, so I figured I really needed to get back to my Doom stuff.

A quick little update on my Predator sheet -- just finished the sideview of the walking animation. Wasn't too easy, but I think it took less time than it did for me to do the 3/4 version... Lots of tweaking, though. I couldn't simply cut/paste with this particular angle.

Strangely enough, I ran into a little snag. Turns out, I can't have the chest armor exactly like in the movie (where it has a larger panel on the left side and a small lock on the right). This is because the frames are usually mirrored, so using non-symmetrical armor can look a little weird. I know I can avoid using the mirroring (if that's even a word), but this guy's a pain in the neck as it is, so I'll use two breastplates. To keep some of the original P1 flavor, I'll keep the strap in between. The bright side to this is that it forces me to leave out his shoulder cannon as well, only to be raised when he is attacking (this is how it should be).

68d360.png

PS: You might also notice I made the shoulder bells more visible in the 3/4 angle. The last update I posted, they were covered by the hair or non-existant (don't quite remember). I had to fix that, because look how much the shoulder bells stick out on the front view!

Lastly, the head patternation isn't really finalized; it looks too straight along the ridge of his forhead, so I'll edit those later.

68d360.png

Blade3327

Okay, guys! Yet another new update on my sprites... The Queen Alien!

33lnm1z.png

I used a pretty good base to build her on, so the rest of the frames shouldn't be too difficult.

33lnm1z.png

Darkwolf1

That's so cool, I know I am behind the times on this one but will we be able to play the classic doom game with these characters? So cool!

Blade3327

That's so cool, I know I am behind the times on this one but will we be able to play the classic doom game with these characters? So cool!
That's the plan. So far, the Warrior Alien is done. The Predator is coming along, and I may do a couple designs shown in the pictures above. I'll definitely do the P1, of course .

Blade3327

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Now, an update on my Predator sheet! The 3/4 backview has been finished (so the walking animations are finally ready!), and as you can see, I've also done the full set with the bio helmet on!

Sigh... now it's on to attack frames, which'll only be from the front view. These shouldn't be too difficult, as the monster I used as a base has a pretty good scratching movement I can use for the Pred's wrist-blade attack. The shoulder cannon attack'll be even easier, since it'll be him standing still with the cannon firing (the sprites of which I've already done).

2888tw8.png

2888tw8.png

Sara

I love this. Granted I wasn't well-versed with Doom when it first came out, but the spites are awesome regardless.

Blade3327

Thx. Another update -- the attack frames are done (boy, can he bare his teeth) for both variants! All that's left is the death animation. Yippee ! Sorry for the blurry resize; TinyPic's annoying like that.

e12fdc.png

e12fdc.png

spinksy

Awesome!!

Will you be uploading the game modded for us to download and play?would be awesome if so.

Keep us updated.

Blade3327

Awesome!!

Will you be uploading the game modded for us to download and play?would be awesome if so.

Keep us updated.
Totally will! Demos and everything. You need to have the latest version of ZDoom though, and a copy of DOOM2.wad.

I've done some more frames late last night. Now I have the death animation, which is the Pred opening his wrist computer and self-destructing. I also have an animation of him taking off his mask and roaring, as a transition between both variants! I don't wanna spoil those, though.

Ice1

I have Zdoom on the Pc for a good while. Cant wait to try this out. YOu have any videos, of the predators in action yet?

Blade3327

I have Zdoom on the Pc for a good while. Cant wait to try this out. YOu have any videos, of the predators in action yet?
You have ZDoom? Awesome! Nice to have a fellow ZDoomer on the Forums, here :D. I don't have any vids of the Preds yet, but when I finish importing the sprites into Doom (and programming them), I'll have a video done! Dunno when that'll be, but that's the plan for every character I make.

spinksy

I had the Doom wad file and everything on my other laptop (which I dropped and mucked the hard drive up :D ) I'll have to try get them again.

I had them cause I downloaded the Doom collection for my Dreamcast, Law56kers Nxdoom Collection - had LOADS of modded doom games on there, AvPvT Doom, Aliens Doom etc and played perfectly on my Dreamcast.

Don't suppose anybody got a link to any of the wad's?

Blade3327

I had the Doom wad file and everything on my other laptop (which I dropped and mucked the hard drive up :D ) I'll have to try get them again.

I had them cause I downloaded the Doom collection for my Dreamcast, Law56kers Nxdoom Collection - had LOADS of modded doom games on there, AvPvT Doom, Aliens Doom etc and played perfectly on my Dreamcast.

Don't suppose anybody got a link to any of the wad's?
Which .wad's? The mods, or the actual DOOM2.wad that you need to use ZDoom? If you want the full game .wad, I'd recommend getting FreeDoom instead. It's like Doom 2, but it's a fan-made thing based on Doom 2 (with entirely custom-made resources) that people get if they can't buy the actual game (it's mostly used for running mods).
If you want the real DOOM2.wad file with the real weapons and original content, I won't give you the link for obvious reasons, but a quick Google search would get you there, since the game's like 17 years old.