WIP - Tron Legacy Identity Disk

omegaforgeprops

I started working on a 3D printed Identity Disk from Tron Legacy, i found the model on thingiverse and started printing the pieces. The original files had the model cut up into small pieces but because i have a lulsbot Taz 6 i can print most pieces in one go. The outer edge and some of the inner details will be made out of a transparent PLA so it can glow. I plan on using NeoPixels and a small Arduino to do the lighting effects. I have never used transparent PLA before and i wonder how much infill will create the best diffusion.

If you have worked with transparent PLA before and have any advice please let me know.

2017-06-07 05.56.01.jpg

Check out this guy I am not sure what he uses but his looks really good. He also keeps the brightness at quarter full, around 64 or so.

Looks like some regular old WS2812 leds (Neopixels)..

Easily controllable by an Arduino...

depending on what you want to do however... you may need to code things in a certain style, because of the specific timing needed to drive these.

Adafruit has a great tutorials and foo tips as well.

Looks like some regular old WS2812 leds (Neopixels)..

Easily controllable by an Arduino...

depending on what you want to do however... you may need to code things in a certain style, because of the specific timing needed to drive these.

Adafruit has a great tutorials and foo tips as well.

Whoops. Missed a word. I don't know what he uses to print with.

Last edited:
Damn! I hope your project works out, the Tron Legacy Identity Disc seems like a cursed project, because the last two went into nowhere, which is a shame! There's definitely a demand for screen accurate disks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back