WIP - TNG Isolinear Chips

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Hiddenevil, May 21, 2012.

1. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

I've not posted for a while as i've been busy sorting out props for a convention.

I'm now back on track with my next project, which is the isolinear data chip from TNG.

These are just test chips to see if it was possible to do. I know it's been done before, but as i've only been messing around with props for a few years. I still feel very much like the nuubie :lol I've never attempted these before, so hopefully i'm on the right track.

Eventually I'll make three or four different graphics with different numbers. So there is some variety. If I can nail the chips, the next project, will be to return to my laser cut PADD's and possible make one that comes apart :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Except for some pervy seller on eBay from who I refuse to buy one of these, I honestly know of no-one else who makes them at the moment.

I am therefore very, very interested in your build, and here's praying that if they turn out OK, you would be kind enough to share them (read JY thread eventually :lol) in the future.

Another thread to add to my follow list :):thumbsup

3. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Hi Alan

Well at the moment it's a case of getting them right. I dont know which i prefer. White painted circuit or etched. The latter is easier, but i'm still not sure which i prefer.

If anyone has some good grabs of a TNG Iso chips, please post them up. I keep looking but i think i'm only finding remakes and i want accurate looking chips.

As for selling some. IF I can get this to a level i like, then yes I'd be happy to produce some for other people to enjoy.

JY thread?

4. Alan Castillo

Oh, please do :lol

I'm afraid these are the best pics I have. A screencap, and some of the originals that were sold by Christies.

I'm certain other members have better pics though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Well that is interesting to say the least! Thank you for posting this. None of those look like they where painted. As in the circuits where filled with white...This might prove to be a good thing, as painting them is a pain in the butt.

6. Alan Castillo

Found another screencap at the bottom of the folder :lol

[​IMG]

7. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Oh the more of these I look at the more I'm beginning to think I dont need to paint the inner lines with white. If you look at the end label under his thumb, the white is very sharp in contrast to the ciruits. Makes me wonder if they didn't laser cut the iso chips later on in the show. This looks to be a later episode. I know the early 1st season, they used microscope slides and silk screening.

8. Alan Castillo

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the best and most accurate way to go for these is laser etching and a decal for the top part.

9. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

The one i'm holding in my hand is etched, however the acrylic is frosted and not glossed. Which is something that could be corrected :)

10. Alan Castillo

Frosted would be correct I assume, especially due to any unwanted pesky reflections for filming.

11. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

[​IMG]

my screen used ones - note the diffrent TNG (blue) and the VOY (red) circuitry.

12. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Yen thank you for posting these! Can you tell me the following.

Is the circuit the same on both sides? Is the circuit silver or white? also if the acyrlic gloss or frosted?

Looking at the far right one, the image looks like it is designed to look the same both sides when you look through it. So i would need to reverse the image, when etching the opposide side. I've just realised the template i have is for the voyager chips. As this was a test to see how they would look, i wasn't to bothered on the image.

13. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

All the Iso Chips are silk screened, the TNG and VOY ones are double sided, while the NEM/FC were done in silver and gold and the NEM on the far left only one sided. It's not acrylic frosted, a silk screen paint in the corresponding color was applied there. Be sure to buy the UV reactive acrylic color plates. I forgot to add the circuitries of TNG and the label for you. There are right below, in black. 300 dpi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: The etch frosted look is the way to go… how light could you etch?

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  14. Alan Castillo

YCL, you da man ! :cool

15. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Thanks - I like to help, I know virtually anything that is to know about Isochips

16. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Thanks for the info and the templates YCL. Can't believed they painted the chips, so they are not actually see through?

Now armed with the TNG template, i will wire them down to the laser cutters and hopefully get a result. The guy is doing me a favour by keeping the costs down, using bits of coloured acrylic he has laying around. So I'm really not to fussy about the UV, so long as it looks good. If I can source some and send it down to him, might give it a try.

Thanks again!

17. renaissance_man

renaissance_man Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the original Iso chips just had a paper label.
    I'd say either silkscreen or painted would look good, but that's just me.

Nice work so far.

18. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Yeah that's right BUT: The very first ones are cut from floppy disk labels and are dotted with marking dots on plain acrylic plates. Later they were brown with circuitries, but they were'n't very visible. The known ones you can see in the Interactive Technical Manual were cut from UV fluoresent plates, silk screened chips in the corresponding colors (since they are made in huge batches, so silk screening was the cheapest way). The labels were adhesive paper labels with numbers in Helvectica Ultra Compressed BT (aka Swiss911 Ultra Compressed BT), there were blue, yellow and green. DSN had them printed on side sometimes and VOY introduced the red ones - they also changed the circuitry from TNG a bit as you can see and used Compacta BT for the numbers as well as vinyl labels. FC introduced larger chips in the 2x4 inches and the middle and large version. First done with a rectangular, vinly printed (?) number labels with a black stripe, they later rounded the corners for INS and NEM and completely silk screened them. JMD was the artist proof (John M. Dwyer) John M. Dwyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia John M. Dwyer interview at Star Trek The Tour - YouTube, he was the set decorator, I had contact with him on AOL back then about 2000's, he retired in FLA…

19. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Thanks for the information :D

I really hope I can get somewhere with this project, if successful and people are wishing to buy some of these. This will be the first prop I'll have sold on the RPF :cool

As this was only a project of fancy, because I love my trek props. I'm trying to keep the costs down. I think the guy on ebay is asking more then he should for his chips, so we shall see what the laser cutter quotes me for 10.

20. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to watching this one! Otherwise I'll have to give it a go with my laser engraver. :)

21. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Thanks Orange_Blend! I'm pretty hopeful, will be nice to have a set of these :)

22. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

I got blanks here all cut up and ready to go Mike! :)

Been wanting a set of these for the longest time!

-Skyler101

23. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Now with the label attached :)

[​IMG]

24. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Always room to make our own too. :D

That looks FANTASTIC! Count me in if you do a run. :thumbsup

25. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If I recall correctly, this picture shows the first generation of isolinear chips: simple circuit pattern and an off-the-shelf blank label. Not my pic, BTW.

-MJ

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  26. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Sweeeet. :cool

If you ever decide to do some ENT logic-modules, let me know. :love

27. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

I too would be interested in TNG ISO chips if you do a run.

Also, like 'Lichbringer', I'd also be interested if you ever did Enterprise logic-modules.

Looks great man!
    Smooth work.:)

28. Alan Castillo

:thumbsup

Blue Yellow Green Orange Red Junkyard :lol

29. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

I had to go look one of those up..That actually doesn't seem that hard to make. I would have to look in to it. Ent was never my favorite show, but I love making obscure props :p So you never know, this might end up on my "To do" list :p

*ISO CHIP UPDATE*
    My friend with the laser cutter has a lot on at the moment and as he's classing these jobs as "pleasure work" because he's a Trekkie lol. He's trying to keep costs down for me by doing them during his down time. Can't argue with that, as I'm not able to throw vast sums of money at the project anyways.

Was on the phone with him this morning and he's going to look at what colours he can get the acrylic in. I've told him which colours I'd like, orange, very light blue ect. I've decided to go with the frosted acrylic. As I generally feel this looks the best, it also reflect the light in a nice diffuse way. Where as the polished gloss just looks like glass. Will have to see how it pans out in regards to cost.

The aim will be to produce a set of both Voyager and TNG ISO chips as authentically as I can.

Some of you have expressed interest in buying some ISO chips. Providing it all goes according to plan, which it does seem to be doing :p I'll be happy to try and sort some out for you :)

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  30. Alan Castillo

Yup. Will keep my eyes out in the JY :) :thumbsup

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  31. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Don't forget: the exact size in centimeter for the TNG/DSN/VOY Isochip is 2,4 cm x 8,35 cm (0,95 x 3,25 inches). The chip in the photo looks very large.

32. Alan Castillo

With all the information you now have, I am expecting to be blown over with your end results :cool

ooooh the pressure :lol

:behave

33. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

How thick do they need to be?

Thanks for the info, i'm sure i checked the size. As to whether or not my source was CORRECT is another question all together :lol

Alan - I'm going to do my very best, thats all i can say :) Hopefully that will be good enough.

34. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Some of my workstations would thank you. :love

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Ashiva

Ashiva Member

Ah memories... How I miss data.

36. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

3 mm thick or 0,12 inches

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  37. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Very interested in this!

38. Alan Castillo

I'm pulling your leg a little. I love them as they look now :) :thumbsup

39. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Thanks mate, but with the information i've got from this thread..I'm going to revise the chips a little. Especially the size, just in case i've got them wrong. Dont think i have, but we shall see.

40. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

:behave Now quit it buddy :lol. I have given him all I know about the chips, since I collected some originals and wanted to know everything about like him. If he fails of too much pressure, we'll know who to blame :love:lol

41. Alan Castillo

Yo-ho heave-ho for news-o :) ?

42. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

any news?

43. Alan Castillo

Is this project dead ? :(

44. Caveneau

Caveneau Sr Member

No! It can't be dead. :cry

45. DMC 12

DMC 12 Active Member

This is the exact same way I made my Iso chips, But I don't have access to a laser cutter anymore :/

46. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Hi there guys!!

First I wish to state that this project is no way dead!! It's still on going, but has hit one or two set backs.

Since i posted, I have been waiting to hear back from the guy in London who is cutting all my pieces. He's a very tricky person to get hold of at the best of times, but as this is just a fun project with no dead line. I wasn't really bothered. However I havent heard from him in ages, i paid him for the last lot of Voyager pad templates and since then, I have not had a single reply to my phone message or emails.

So i've been left in limbo with no laser cutter :( That was until the last couple of weeks, when a friend of mine has bought a laser cutter lol I'm hoping I can ask him if i can book some time with it. If he says it's ok, then the project will once again be back on track. I've never used a laser cutter in my life, but i'm hoping i can get to grips with it. This will also mean I will have a hands on with the project, so I can fine tune the chips to suit my * level for detail :p Plus one of you did mention the prototype looked a little big. So i'll be checking the dimensions, just in case the scale is off.

I will of course keep you guys posted on how this progresses :)

Sorry i've been so quiet

*update*
    Just spoken to my friend who's laser cutter is arriving today. He's certain he can fit my chips in, so long as I'm happy to help him out with his project. So if all goes well, this might see the project back on track.*
    James

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  47. AimToMisbehave

AimToMisbehave New Member

Joining the wait for the JY thread!

48. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Lol when i've something to offer, I'm sure a JY thread will appear. For now, I'm working on the best chips I can. While not silk screened, i do want them to look as accurate as possible :)

49. psychpineapple

psychpineapple New Member

great work! If you get around to do a run. I will be interested as well!

50. Hiddenevil

Hiddenevil Active Member

Sure thing :) I'm certainly hoping it will lead to that. There seems to be a lot of people who share my interest in this trek prop :) and I'd like to help them out if i can. I've only ever made props for fun and for myself primarily. So I'm taking advice of a couple of veteran RPF members who know a lot more about offering stuff in the JY then i do. As I want to do it right.