*WIP: Studio Scale Escape Pod*

Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally started my studio scale escape pod last weekend. I've never built a studio scale before so I'm pretty excited and call on all of you for pointers. Here's the progress so far:

I started out with the paper paint buckets a'la ILM and cut them down based off of measurements from Lasse Henning's drawings. The plan is to make a paper substructure and then try to work out all the measurements/kinks there and then laminate the outside with styrene. Again, since I've never done this before I figured it would be like tracing in 3D. I knew this thing would get totally manhandled during construction so once I got everything trimmed I reinforced it from the inside with foamcore. This will keep everything from imploding in on it too once I start gluing all the crap on the outside.

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Next came the tricky part; the angles/cones. Let me preface this by saying I AM AN IDIOT AT MATH so rather than bore you with tales of trial and error using compasses, triangles and rulers I'll just say if you need to figure out the measurements of a cone to cut out go here: ConeCalc. I discovered this afterwards of course. Ain't life great? :rolleyes

IMG_0922.jpg

The cones were made from psterboard, reinforced with foamcore and glued on the tops of the two sections. I plan on working on the top and bottom sections separately for as long as possible because I figured it would just be easier plus it seems no one can confirm what scale of tank tread was used or measurements around the middle. The short cylinder "hatch" part of the small section will just be made out of styrene.

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

This weekend I'm beginning the laminating process. I bought an OBSCENE amount of styrene this week. By obscene I mean a 4' x 8' sheet of .050 for $14.95. A lot better than blowing my budget on those Evergreen packages wouldn't you say? This will give me enough to screw up a couple of times and still have some left over to build all the panels and screw up again. I did a test gluing the other night with a small piece and a spare bucket and slow CA works great if you just glue an end, hold it, lay a bead, hold it and just repeat this across the curve

The tough part about taking pictures of the pod is that it tends to look distorted and different in every shot because of its angles. More soon.

Where did you aquire the the paint buckets? i'm looking forward to following your progress on this. I've always planned on making one of these eventually.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TFrosst @ Apr 30 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]1235964[/snapback]</div>
Where did you aquire the the paint buckets? i'm looking forward to following your progress on this. I've always planned on making one of these eventually.
[/b]

Ace Hardware. $1.99, baby. I bought extras for templates, etc.

Now this is going to be my thread of choice for a while, id love to tackle this build, so ill be watching closely, fantastic start bcgd, ill have to find where i can bag some buckets here in the U.K.

Great Job. I love seeing studio scale ambition. Looks like a good start.

I dont want to high jack your thread but this is for the guys who cant scratch build or cant find the time. Backlot Studios and Nice-n Model Designs will be releasing the studio scale Escape Pod in April.

Keep jammin your build is looking great.

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swpropmaker @ Apr 30 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]1236010[/snapback]</div>
Great Job. I love seeing studio scale ambition. Looks like a good start.

I dont want to high jack your thread but this is for the guys who cant scratch build or cant find the time. Backlot Studios and Nice-n Model Designs will be releasing the studio scale Escape Pod in April.

Keep jammin your build is looking great.

Steve
[/b]

So its due to be released? Its nearly May and I haven't heard anything. Is there a link to somewhere that has this information?

bcqd - thats a great start by the way. I agree with ralphee, we need a source of these buckets in the UK . :lol

I haven't made a start on mine yet, still trying to complete another project first.

You know Steve, its just clicked about the Nice-n Models name. Its a "play" on your surname - Doh. silly me. Are you starting a separate thread on this Steve?

Sorry for the hi-jack bcgd , but this may save us both a lot of time and heartache.

Paul

This week I laminated the buckets and other parts with styrene and began adding putty and sanding. My Saturn V kit came Saturday as well as my first of four 8rads. Another one should come today. I was comparing the scale of the pod to some of the parts and realized that the cone on the bottom part where the thrusters will be was off so that had to be rebuilt.

I stuck CDs inbetween the sections for the photos but you get the idea.

IMG_0032_1.jpg

IMG_0036_1.jpg

Next it's laying out all the panel templates in Illustrator and start cutting them out. I've also decide to make some of the parts like the Sealab III brackets on the bottom from scratch. I just can't spend that much money on one kit. I'd rather stay married, keep half of my stuff and loose accuracy points with you guys. :)

This will be the last update for a while. Mrs. bcgd and I are going to London for 10 days next Sunday. We're going to be touring Elstree Studios while we're over there so I hope to have some cool pictures to share when I get back. Thanks again for all your input and suggestions.

Cheers.

post a pict of the sealab parts you need and I can either gift them to you or lend them to you for molding. I purchased mine to use for a specific set of ships NOT related to Star Wars and they may not be used so.... :)

PM me.

Mark

Ive got 2 incomplete saturn V's i used on a Y wing, if you need any more thruster parts let me know, i can send them you you to cast, as sadly im a silicone/resin virgin......lee. Looking good BTW.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ralphee @ May 8 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]1240543[/snapback]</div>
Ive got 2 incomplete saturn V's i used on a Y wing, if you need any more thruster parts let me know, i can send them you you to cast, as sadly im a silicone/resin virgin......lee. Looking good BTW.
[/b]

PM Sent

<div class='quotetop'>(paulcarson @ Jun 2 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]1255128[/snapback]</div>
Any progress?
[/b]

None physically but behind the scenes I've got someone working on casting my Saturn V parts to save me some dough. I got back from London last Thursday so I've doing that adjusting post-vaction thing but I hope to work on it this weekend. I want to start on the exterior panels and scribing.

I guess you could say I hit a milestone today; I glued the first of the kit parts and panels on (fanfare plays). Other than that I drew lines all over the bottom of it and wrote "DOOR" on the side. With each little piece I cut, sanded and glued I gained even more respect for the guys here with REAL talent.

IMG_0792.jpg

Now, that said on to business. First off, thanks to everyone that posted asking about the progress since I got back. It really motivated/guilted me into working on the model for little time I did this weekend. Keep it up.

Second, can anyone identify this part for me (the white one)?

View24.jpg

And finally, if anyone has the SW Chronicles could please scan the escape pod pages for me? I have a pretty good reference notebook but I've heard those pages are really good. I'd really appreciate it. I tried asking before but hey...

Thanks.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back