*WIP: Studio Scale Escape Pod*

Yes the white parts. They are only white because they are resin cast. ;)

If I can just finish the Y-Wing I plan on making one of these next. I think I have all the parts.

Nothing exciting to report worth documenting in pics but some minor progress this weekend:

• Began laying out a template for some of the surface panels.

• Glued, puttied and sanded the Saturn V engine nozzles.

• Started gluing together some of the parts that will make up the engine's base.

• Ordered the following Tamiya kits today:
SD.KFZ 222
M10 Tank Destroyer
Panther 171
Panzer Kampfwagen IV
Sherman M4 Early Production
Flak 88mm
Centurian Tank
M41 Walker Bulldog

A thank you to Ralphlee for the Chronicles scans (C'mon Lions.) and thank you to Mycroft Holmes for the casts of the Sealab parts. It takes a village.

Hey Bret, no problem. Some of us from the original RPF know what it's like to pool in and help.

The parts will be on the way soon. They are a B*&$# to cast because of all the thin raised edges BUT they are getting done :D

Mark

Welcome buddy, just glad to help out in a very cool project. Keep the pics coming, and yeah c'mon england, we want at least 3 past Trinidad lol.

View24.jpg

OK so I picked up a Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog today and there was nothing in there that resembled this part. Any other ideas of where this part came from (the white one)?

Thanks in advance guys.

<div class='quotetop'>(bcgd @ Jun 16 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1262880[/snapback]</div>
View24.jpg

OK so I picked up a Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog today and there was nothing in there that resembled this part. Any other ideas of where this part came from (the white one)?

Thanks in advance guys.
[/b]

If you're referring the part in the red circle I think its from the M10 tank destroyer.

OK guys. Your boy needs a serious pep talk. I'm so frustrated right now. I was hoping to make some progress today but every corner I turned I hit an obsticle. Figuring out the measurements for the panel templates has been a nightmare. Either they're turning out too wide or too narrow. I can't seem to figure out the right measurment so I can start cutting those out and gluing them down.

OK, fine. so I decided to move on and start cutting out the 3 thruster bases from the Saturn V base. Cut them, sand them, they're beautiful. I trim the part on the nozzles so they'll fit... ****. I trimmed off too much (even after I measured). Alright, so I'll glue the thruster bases on the body so I can glue a couple of parts on. Nope looks like I'll be sanding some more because the anle is off.

Great. Well maybe then I'll do some harvesting of parts. Then I realize that 4 kits are too small in scale which means I have to return half the kits I bought on Friday. Oh, and the part I needed barely fill my hand.....

My buddy is casting the extra Saturn V parts I need so I can't move forward right now and I'm waiting to replenish my "Pod Funds" so I can by some more kits.

I'm sure all of you have gone through this and I know it's my first time building something like this so I'm trying to cut myself some slack but man, it hard. I mean seriously I know I'll finish it and I know it'll look good but it's hit that not fun point.

Us creative folk can be so hard on ourselves. I hate it..

:cry :lol :cry :lol :cry :lol :cry :confused :cry :cry :cry

Whoa, that stinks Brett on so many variables, but hell you dont need the Betty Ford just yet, at least what you have done is great work and this does happen to most of us ill bet. I get days like this and i havent even delved into a project like this, ive crushed build ups with my bare hands in frustration lol, your doing fine, breath innnnnn............and out. Seriously man, just put it down to one of those days, ive had the same deal with the speeder im working on, a whole weekend and just no progress due to things just not going my way, hang in there dude, its gonna be one amazing model, just envision what its gonna look like at the end, you can do this, hell i wanna see it finished along with everyone on here, so i know youll pull it off .

Don't worry about its fine. I made over 5 mockups of the Y-wing body out of foam core until I felt I had all the measurments right. Then I made one, too big... new kit parts I found proved that, so I make another all is going fine, new donor parts found, now the thing is too thick. Ugghh. After three tries I finally got it right. Getting the right measurments are the biggest pain IMO.

That's a valuable lesson. And I don't mean to sound harsh, because I have been there as well. :) Many people get so excited about these projects they just want to dive in. Sometimes that means "winging it" without even having drawings, much less proper patterns. As you have just discovered, however, it's very easy to make simple mistakes that can have profound consequences as you move forward.

With studio-scale projects more than anything else, preparation is vital because you are going to be cutting up potentially expensive kits and making castings of numerous parts (at substantial cost) to glue on your structure. As a result, you should take extra steps to make sure everything fits before you start applying parts.

Many people don't like to bother with a mockup. I hear it all the time. But building a mockup is really mandatory for this kind of project. It allows you to test fit everything. Often you will build a mockup and discover something is off, then you have to revise your patterns and start over. Sometimes this process must be repeated several times until you are close enough to get started building the final model.

As Boba Flint said, even then sometimes it can still be off if you are missing key parts. But as long as you have enough key pieces to lock in the key dimensions, you should be OK if you did a mockup as a "dry run" and tested the fit of everything.

People might think it is too much trouble, but I take the time to do all of the following before I even cut my first piece of plastic:
  • Draw my own blueprints.
  • Extract patterns from the blueprints to build CG study model.
  • Render the CG model from various angles and compare to the original studio model to check for accurate proportions. This includes building CG versions of key model parts to check for fit.
  • Adjust CG study model and repeat as many times as needed to arrive at correct proportions.
  • Use finished CG study model to create final blueprints and patterns.
  • Build a mockup and double check fit.
  • Start building final model.
If that sounds like going to a lot of trouble, it is. With simpler subjects it might sound like overkill. The upside is that when I start gluing on expensive kit parts and castings, I already know they will fit properly.

Again, I'm saying this because I sympathize and have been there, so hope it helps. :)

Thanks guys I appreciate the support. Thanks for the pointers Star-Art. The mock up has been what I've been frustrated with. No worries. I just had to take a break and let it get fun again. My AMT Fruehauf Tanker came in the mail yesterday and I'm expecting my 1/35 Sherman Tank this week along with the M10.

I've been busy with work, my mother coming to visit and other projects (see "Walker X-ing T-shirts" in the Junkyard) but I hope get back to the workbench after the holiday. Again guys, thanks and respect.

Bret

Then again you can wait for the Studio Scale Escape Pod kit the will be out later next month... :)

Then again youÂ’re a scratch builder and there is no easy way out for us.

I like your spirit keep jamming. I canÂ’t tell you how many times we had to rebuild the Y Wing head (huh Dan S?) and Y canopy to match studio model. Even with exact measurements, using real kit parts reveal flaws in your plans.

Star-Art is the man when it comes down to planning a build listen and learn this guy is the master.

By no means is this a hijack attempt but how many times have you asked yourself during this project or any other scratch build for that matter “I sure wish there was already an accurate kit of this.”

Keep plugging away.. man have been there. You find the kit of all kits, the part you have been hunting for years. You buy it, wait a week for it to arrive, tear at the plastic like a little kid at Christmas, pull the part off the sprue, place it on the model only to find out itÂ’s the wrong scale. Guys how many times has that happened to you. Your not alone my friend.

You definatley have some studio scale high rollers chiming in here you should be very proud of your work so far.

Good luck man. DonÂ’t give up.

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>(swpropmaker @ Jun 25 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]1267902[/snapback]</div>
Then again you can wait for the Studio Scale Escape Pod kit the will be out later next month... :) [/b]

You're timing kills me.. First you mention the kit when I'm just starting it the you mention it again just after I pick myself back up. :lol
Seriously though, thanks. You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what happened. At this point I'm not going for exact replica as much as 'ish".

Ha. LOL :) I've come to realize that, no matter how much work you put into these things, you can only get so close. The best replicas might be 95+% there, but that last 5% can require an exponentially greater amount of effort. At some point you just have to say "close enough" and move on. Boy have I learned this lesson.

Some might think I spend too much time designing my models and not enough time building. But what they don't realize is I am not in a hurry and I have been slowly developing my design skills. Once I have the process mastered for how to map out, blueprint, pattern and mockup a structure, I can build just about anything I want. I don't like cutting and fabricating parts, so I make all my designs in the computer and then have them laser cut, etc. So when the building does start, it goes fast.

Except for all those $%^*@@. kit parts. Even when your structure is done, it can take years to find and apply all those little buggers. ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back