WIP: Restoring a P1 Bio Helmet

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
Thanks to ONEEYE (Richard) for giving me a Bio that he got from Bathunter years ago. Kudos to you Richard!

It began as a "Porsche" style P1:

001.jpg

It was called a Porsche due to its sharp defined lines - as opposed to the rounded curves traditionally seen on a P1. Ironically, the Porsche was the very first Bio I ever purchased from Predfann waaaaay back in the day. I got rid of it years ago, so its very cool to see one again since I don't think they are made anymore.

Bathunter then redesigned it to look like this:

002.jpg

When I got the Bio from Richard last week, the jawline was noticeably warped and the plastic added on bits were very fragile:

003.jpg

The original plan was just to replace the LED's, but I had to fix the jawline too. I knew this would be a daunting task, so I asked Richard if I could attempt to restore this Bio even if it meant changing the look that Bathunter gave it. He said go for it.

Then I got thinking that I could redesign the Porsche to be a hybrid between a rounded P1 and the defined Porsche. I drew red lines along where I wanted to make adjustments:

004.jpg

My first task was to fill the cheeks in and give the jawline support again. I got creative and took some plastic cutting board and cut it to fill in all the holes in the Bio:

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Then I used bondo to fill over the plastic in order to make them rounded again:

012.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

Then I started sanding down the sharp edges on the mouth:

014.jpg

015.jpg

Then I stopped and had to go watch LOST lol! Gonna keep updating this as I work on it...

Worked on it for an hour and a half today.
016.jpg

Fixed the wonky left eye (your right):
017.jpg

Rounded the chin and mouth area some more:
018.jpg

019.jpg

Rounded the edge of the crown, smoothed the bondo cheeks and smoothed the area where the hoses go:
021.jpg

020.jpg

The only critique I have Jason is that the bottom jaw line on the left side seems to stick out further then the right. Other than that it looks great so far, and I can't wait to see more of it.

-Chris

Thanks Casey! I looked for fiberglass, but had to use bondo instead. It works, so I just have to sand it down...

I really have an appreciation for you, Daman, Paul and everyone else who sculpts Bios. I figured I'd see how far I could get just using a Dremel first. I can see how symmetry drives you crazy! And smoothing the surface...well, thats a bitch too lol!

It's coming out great Jason. :p
How did you go about fixing the wonky eye? that was the main reason for me not to get another porsche but I have ben itching to ge tanother one and was contemplating the fix. I'm currently going to work on my wolf morgan bio to fix the same problem and see if I can fix the warp.
You my friend are full of surprises..
keep the pics coming :rolleyes:

I've filled a bit more, but nothing picture worthy. Sanding takes time and patience. I have little time and lots of patience lol!

This is the guideline I've been using for stuff that needs to be worked on:
Bio_May_2010_014.jpg

And this is what it should look like when its done:
Bio_May_2010_011.jpg

You are very welcome!

Somehow, I missed this thread. Now I've bookmarked it and am rabidly keeping up to date with you progress.
Wow, fantastic work!

I'm taking a break from this, painting heads and making LED's. I have too much on my plate and ironically I only have to draw at work when its dead.

As soon as I start working on this again, I'll make sure to post updates.

I kicked myself in the ass and started on this again tonight. Its going to look more and more like a mess before it starts to look half decent. Right now I'm at the turd stage lol!

I slapped on some more filler and filled some of the small dents and nicks:
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

The part where the hoses go had some very sharp edges and I wanted to make them curved to the point where its just an indentation and not so defined.
25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

More ugliness:

Filling the indentation in the lower jawline:
28.jpg

Removing the dent above the left eye:
29.jpg

Filling the dent in the side:
30.jpg

I was considering taking macro pics of all the flaws, but I only thought of the idea when I was half way done filling, so you're just going to have to take my word that this Bio has imperfections a-plenty! I'm a perfectionist, so this is going to take time to get right.

I am looking forward to sanding it down and seeing it take shape again.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back