WIP Medabots- Peppercat

minion

For the most part my experience with prop building for cosplay has been with cardboard and paper-mache. Recently I discovered EVA foam and made the leap. It's been a blast to work with, though I am taking my time to read tutorials before each step.

I just wanted to post some progress pics and ask for any advice you guys might have to offer a first time EVA user.

I've taken some liberties on the armour design to create a more realistic robot feeling, while also allowing the armour to fit a human body without being overly blocky. Here is the original character:
2884.jpg

So this is most of the armour shaped and detailed through a combination of dremel sanding, and etching with a soldering iron/straight edge, getting ready for battle damage.
IMG_6738.JPG
Here is some of the armour with battle damage and the first coat of 3:1 PVA/Podge brushed on. The googley eyes are meant to look like rivets after the plastidip/paint.
IMG_6760.JPG

The fingers have string running through them like a tendon, and snap back to a mostly straight position thanks to a measuring tape core. It's difficult to explain but I'll post some photos on that process later. I don't have it photographed here but that circle in the palm is an insert for a small 3 inch blue plasma dis, to emulate an electrical attack.
This is probably the most complicated part of the build. I'm still really hammering out the design and function of these.
IMG_6661.JPG

I had an old "bubble gum watch" which I spray painted red/yellow, and added an extra red strap to. The watch flips open at the push of a button to reveal a medacoin that I designed and had a friend 3D render then print for me. He made a slightly larger one to really show the detail, but the smaller one fits properly in the watch.
IMG_6755.JPG

Here is the first suit up when I was figuring out how to fit all the straps and such. The helmet is a cardboard build which I resin coated and bondo'd. I'm not terribly happy with it, its fairly lumpy where it should be really round/smooth, but I fear more bondo will weigh it down too much :(
IMG_6689.JPG

Anyways, I may post more detailed sections on the helmet, the gauntlets with plasma and moving fingers, and the tail build as I flesh them out more.

I will ultimately need to obtain and detail either a white, or a silver morph/zentai/spandex body suit. Any advice on where to find this, and how to detail it would be greatly appreciated.

So after a lot of prep work and undercoats of PVA and Plastidip, I finally got to put my first coat of spray paint on my EVA armour tonight. And it ruined everything. I don't know much about spray paint, but aside from the temperature being too cold, I don't see what could have gone wrong here.
I'm hoping to be able to just sand the bubbles down and reapply in warmer weather, but that could honestly have to wait until the spring. I don't really have anywhere to paint indoors
Anyways, if anyone is familiar with spray paint and EVA foam and they could give me some wisdom on fixing this, I would REALLY appreciate it!

IMG_6763.JPG

What brand of paint? How cold was it? There is usually a temperature rating on the side of the can. Were you using a thin coat? Looks like you have a lot of sanding ahead of you. I find that krylon is a good paint, especially those that are rated for multiple surfaces. Others may disagree, but if worked for me. Good luck! I love the suit so far!

What brand of paint? How cold was it? There is usually a temperature rating on the side of the can. Were you using a thin coat? Looks like you have a lot of sanding ahead of you. I find that krylon is a good paint, especially those that are rated for multiple surfaces. Others may disagree, but if worked for me. Good luck! I love the suit so far!

I used Krylon paint! I have since sanded and re-coated indoors and the new coat levelled and dried properly so I believe it was just a matter of being too cold outdoors to spray paint. Which is a shame as it won't be warm here again until mid spring next year.

Thanks for the help!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back