WIP Lukes Hero macros Done..ish

Re: Lukes macros build/research thread

Where is everyone having the best luck finding the Kalimar 660s, the Seagulls and the Kaligar lenses?

Does anyone have a better source other than simply searching Google or flea-bay?

Re: Lukes macros build/research thread

Where is everyone having the best luck finding the Kalimar 660s, the Seagulls and the Kaligar lenses?

Does anyone have a better source other than simply searching Google or flea-bay?

Second that. Found one in the last six months and it went for $200. Got outbid at the last second.:angry

Re: WIP Lukes Hero macros

With my stunts about done i have decided to get going on these too. I built this lens plate yesterday out of black acrylic and got the lenses mounted. At some point it will get painted aluminum and then black and weathered. Next is the transition box.

78unDzk.jpg

h2VyXWd.jpg

RTdxDWY.jpg

sDZpbLV.jpg

9XoCshB.jpg

Last edited:

Are you sure about the step in the side of the lens plate. I know Russ makes them that way too but I'm not sure they would have gone to as much trouble as that?
How have you mounted the lenses, any chance of seeing what you did there?
Also on the face plate of the Eumig how did you remove these pieces:
Macros%20start.jpg

My plate from a different maker has a step in it too. Awsome macros, Glen!

Marv, i am pretty sure it's just a step to match the step in the camera body. It's really not that much work to file it off even if they were made of aluminum. Screws run from inside the eumig, through the plate and into the lenses.
Here is a great thread about stripping the parts. I gutted my eumig completly so i can put electronics in it and to loose some weight as it's a heavy little camera.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/eumig-fixed-2576/

Thanks Clutch!

Thanks Glen
I managed to remove them in the end using a screwdriver to prize them off/out.
Totally intrigued about the electronics how do you propose to go about doing something like that?

Here is the jist of it. I didn't want any screws showing and i didn't want to use the lens mounting rings because they take up took much real estate and more importantly the prop didn't have them. This is how i did it. I'll never part these out so i am not really worried about drilling lenses. Lenses were a bit of a pain to get apart beacuese of those tiny screws. The only thing not shown here is after i drilled the lens holes out i just used the silver lens parts and the plate and put them on the eumig in the right place and used the holes in the silver part to locate the holes in the eumig. Then once i was done drilling them i tapped the lens holes 4-40 for mounting screws. Then made some marks in the lens brass inner section and drilled them for a little screw clearance. I located one screw in the factory opening.
Normally the battery cover side is held in by the battery housing. Since i wanted all of it out i had to drill another hole in the eumig body and opened up the hole in the batt cover and used another screw to hold it. The opposite side gets held by the face plate. Also had to cut most of the metal bracket out for lens screw head clearance.

cSkw3PC.jpg

8GESRVz.jpg

9SwROBu.jpg

RcmgdJi.jpg

O6wxtZz.jpg

lTcM2CI.jpg

7OQMmJB.jpg

v3MEM1B.jpg

xYD1QfJ.jpg

VMQZgFj.jpg

z5uvfPH.jpg

RvnBEYl.jpg

CKphp49.jpg

k2lIUrS.jpg

R5Q25Bg.jpg

eDh9Ltv.jpg

jRsxpcG.jpg

Last edited:

Your plate looks thicker too, which I kind of agree with too. What tooling did you use for the recess on the plate a milling machine?
Also how big do you think the transition box is going to be I'm figuring on it being at least 90mm in length there appears to be quite an overhang on some pictures, which the side box seems to hide.

Tooling? A dremel with the mini sanding drums.

I don't know about the box size yet. I can't make up my mind on construction design.

How did you manage to separate these parts some advice please:
Front
Seagull%201.jpg

Back
Seagull%202.jpg

Side
Seagull%203.jpg

Inside
Seagull%204.jpg

Other side
Seagull%205.jpg

You´ll have to unscrew the knurled black ring on the large dials and remove the inserts. Then you´ll reach two smaller screws to detach these.

Don´t remember the smaller knobs anymore...

Markus

Thanks Marcus, managed to remove the smaller of the large knobs hassle free after your advice. Found that the smaller ones need to be pulled right out and then they simply unscrew too. The larger one is giving me another headache now due to the odd collar thing on the inside. Any clues as to how you got round that one?

Forget the collar ring on the inside of the other...once you removed the black knurled ring, you should find some small screws, which attach the dial to the sideplate of the seagull....IIRC :confused (it´s been years since I built my macros)

Markus

There are screws on the smaller of the two large knobs but not the biggest one?

Fantastic all sorted. Now which way round is it Kalimar knobs with the Seagull large knob or are the seagulls all together?

Marv i don't believe there are any small seagull knobs on the heros. Only the bigger of the big ones. The trans box knobs are easy to see in the behind the scenes pics floating around and they are kalimars. In the garage scene on the blueray the knobs are in their up position and they look to me to be Kalimars also. Especially since seagull knobs don't stay in the up position.

I have a bit more done on these. The plan is to put in a 2.5" LCD display with all the zooming pics from the part when luke zooms in on the tuskins. I needed a knob to be functional for switches. I got that done and also i wanted the light meter to look functional but not really function so i can gut the housing for any electonics/batteries. So i gutted the light meter, cut it up and glued in the pieces. Also got my trans box pretty much done. Got some pics.
The thing that is confusing me is the mystery box on the side of the transistion box and why the heck am i the first to bring it up. There is a wedge of some sort attached to the side of the transition box with a knob on it. I am pretty sure the knob is just the light meter switch thingie cut down in height but i have not IDed the wedge itself. Hoping some of you with more SS doner kits and SScale model ID'ers can ID it.

Light meter

TI4qcQJ.jpg

bW5VrXD.jpg

s3Jpx1s.jpg

CrnyhRv.jpg

Vawpssc.jpg

OeQvbNR.jpg

Big Knob

HF9sk97.jpg

3lQjXj8.jpg

qFJLp2D.jpg

o2U2cYl.jpg

8j1yZT4.jpg

CMqctPD.jpg

vDbX8KN.jpg

AW43OT0.jpg

a trans box teaser.....

Is0ikT3.jpg

Mystery box #2

EzxcYat.jpg

sOelPUc.jpg

MhZN0Ny.jpg

f7t6GfS.jpg

TTLcAYB.jpg

HgFoeCO.jpg

I think this is what is used for the knob or maybe i should say , this is what i will use for the knob.... :lol

ISQB4p1.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back