WIP: Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Particle Throwers!!

Rhett J Martin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The particle throwers from Ghostbusters are one of my favorite props out there since I was a kid. I've made many versions, some bad, some good, but I've always found them to be a rewarding challenge. I've also found that they are probably one of the hardest props out there to replicate correctly.

I've been toying with a redesigned kit for about 9 months, having had the oppuruntiy due to a job I took doing a fan film. My biggest redesign targets were a stronger front of the gun box, more accurate heatsink, better light covers, and better castings of Clippards and bolts.

So, bascially, everything . . .

I was happy to get the final bits and bobs from the real world to make this as accurate as possible, and at this point, the only real piece I'm missing is a heat sink. Mine was scratched from plastic. Everything else on my throwers that has a real world counterpart is there. I think my biggest 'thank you' has to go to Exoray for getting a set of hat lights to me, and getting those id'd.

What's really fun about these, is the initial parts are plain enough that you can make either version. After alot of my own research and file compiling, I've chosen to emmulate the two throwers that have been around and on display for the last two years.

Here's a few shots of the two I've got done, which are actually getting finished up as I type!

10593-wands3.jpg

10592-wands2.jpg

10591-wands1.jpg

GB1 features:

1. Sharp cornered heat sink with socket head screw details
2. Uncovered Nycoil ends
3. Correctly curved edges on front of gun body
4. Correct bolt and screw placement on handle lock, push button block, roller mounts, and handle mount.
5. Screws on front handle mount also have brass spacers
6. Adjustment knobs all have the correct screws detailing each.
7. Slo-Blo bar has accurate empty space under the red light space. This is if someone wants to make a real beat up replica.

So, assuming we know what else a GB1 wands got on it, here's what's added to the GB2

1. Repaired weld on trigger tip
2. Covers on the banjos
3. Bolt hole on the push button block
4. Pop rivets added to grip
5. Added/removed bolt & hole detail to handle lock
6. Added/removed bolt & hole detail to handle mount
7. Sanded down heat sink edges
8. Added button cap screw to front knob
9. Added to the post and welding on the steam adjustment knob
10. Made the trigger box a solid piece to the main gun body and handle
11. Added pop rivets to rear gun handle
12. Side roller mounts angle placement made to match, screws removed

More to come, as I finish painting, and get a lighting kit ordered. The GB1 is for me, the GB2 is for someone else.

Enjoy!

Cruddy cell phone pic . . .

GB1 on left, GB2 on right.

It's difficult to see, but the GB1 has a much darker and glossier paint job. The GB2 has a rougher, matte finish with a bit of grey to it.

More pics coming, with much more focus on all the details.

10654-wandpainted.jpg

Those look really good!
I'm still in "parts buying" phase. Id like to have everything before I start but it's going to be a few months - I'm waiting on a shell run...

Thanks! I'm so happy to have the parts phase all done. i've picked up just about every real part for the pack, trap, and gun that I've been able to. It's a huge relief!

They're done, just gotta get some pics taken. I'll see if I can accomplish that tonight.
Looking forward to tossing in a light kit!

Thanks! I'm so happy to have the parts phase all done. i've picked up just about every real part for the pack, trap, and gun that I've been able to. It's a huge relief!

It's going to be at least another four months before I can get all the parts I need.
I kinda want to start my pack with everything, and I'm currently waiting on a shell and a few metal parts.
I was happy to pick up the majority of what I needed from Nick-a-tron whos replutation is stellar within the community.
This project is going to be a real challenge for me, one which I am up for and really look forward to sharing my build progress as you are.
Keep up the great work!!

Here's the GB2, ready for mailing! Lots of fun details on this one, and alot of dirt and dust in the corners. Wiped the main areas with some Armor All to make the recesses look that much dirtier. Hope you like Joe!!

Really proud of the piece on the interior uf the tube. The Jupitor Electronics thatwill go in will fit inside perfectly.

wandgb2tip.jpg

View from the top. Some nice chips in the paint, with many small and light scratches. Subtle wonkieness in the vent suggests hand cutting. Edges on the side are sharper that the forward edges, that if made of metal would probably be bent to shape instead of welded. Nearly all of the screenused gun bodies out there look like this. Subtle detail, but nessecary.

wandgb2top.jpg

View from the top rear.
wandgb21.jpg

Right side rear
wandgb22.jpg

Left side rear, note the trigger box shape continues underneath the handle, fully connected.
wandgb23.jpg

Underneath. Nice little belt hook, weathered and scratched up. Joe will be adding a metal pack hook. Buttonheads on the corners are real, middle two fake. They screw into two rails mounted inside the body. Rivet details added on both grips, and front grip has some simulated paint chipping.

wandgb24.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back