WIP Full-size 'Aliens' Power Loader

RobWolf

...yes you read that right, and yes I am a little insane!

Hey everyone! Longtime lurker/dormant poster here, and this is my first proper build thread. I wasn't sure if I could be bothered to do one, but then I remembered Celestial Tosspot's recent Facebook rant about the RPF and how foam builds are ***** (he's still sore about beimg banned from here, bless!) so I thought to hell with it - he's wrong, foam builds are the way forward and there are still talented people here. CT is an ******.

But I digest.

This is my first major prop build since my Proton Pack some 7-8 years ago; I've given up on GB costuming now because amongst other things, the reboot has pretty much killed my enthusiasm for all things GB (and I know I'm not alone). GB was always my standard costume for Halloween and now I'm not doing that I figure I can finally get around to trying some of the other Halloween costume ideas I've always wanted to try. One of which being the Power Loader from Aliens, a piece of movie hardware I have always loved.. Now I know this seems like a daunting task, especially for someone like me with no real facilities and very limited budget, but I saw a build on Instructables (I forget the guy's name, I'll look it up - credit where credit's due) where the guy did a Power Loader in 2 weeks (!) on a modest budget using mostly foam boards...and so I figured, if he can do it, why can't I? Plus, the town I have recently moved to has an outdoor parade on Halloween so it seemed like a good opportunity to build such a big 'costume'.

I had put the project on the backburner while waiting for my PL statue (from the Colonial Marines PS3 boxset) to be posted down here from my grandparents' place so I could take measurements and upscale, however the recent Aliens Day (plus Gran's inability to locate the statue) gave me some extra motivation to just get the hell on with it. Like most Aliens fans, I missed out on the hi-top Reebok Stompers while the eBay scalpers (whom I'd like to round up in one place and then nuke the entire site from low orbit...only way to be sure ;) ) predictably had all the luck, but I am very hopeful that the lovely people at Reebok might have one or two pairs left and might furnish me with a pair (hint hint ;) ) to really make my Loader more authentic. I do have one of the older reissues of Stomper (the blue/white/gold ones with the Alien print showing through gum soles) which I got only a month or so ago on eBay and they're my standard daily use shoes.

So, without further ado, here's where I am so far. I was rather lucky in that along with the recent burst of motivation, I had a lot of materials to hand which enabled me to make a start fairly easily. I already had a glue gun, craft knives, hacksaw etc, as well as two rather large plastic estate agents signs which I, uh, 'liberated' from a skip last year and have hung onto in the hopes they'd come in handy for something. I decided to use them to make the bottom of the PL's feet rather than foam board, as the feet will take just that little bit more wear than everything else. So after some rough working out of dimensions, some cutting and gluing, I now have the bottom part of the feet done! I'll add the photos in here once I get some sleep, as my phone doesn't seem to like the RPF's picture uploading. Tomorrow I will be measuring and cutting the wooden stilts which will go into the lower legs and will hold me a good two foot off the floor! The wood again is something I already had to hand courtesy of some old dismantled furniture :)

I'm not the most skilled prop builder in the world, I do tend to 'rough guess' or 'wing it', and some days I don't have a lot of motivation to do anything at all, I do intend to finish this project (I'm aiming for 'as close as I can get' rather than 100% accurate) but I might be a bit intermittent with my updates so please be patient. I will of course welcome feedback and constructive criticism :)

Stay frosty!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 9.48.31 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 9.48.31 AM copy.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 211
You know people will have pretty high expectations from this thread now ;). I'll be following this with great interest. If you really manage to make this, that would be awesome! Good luck!

Hey gang! Sorry for the brief delay - technical problems!

Mike, I had never seen drywall stilts before! Thanks for that. I have ultimately decided not to go that route, mainly due to cost, but when I looked at them, the ones with blue straps instantly reminded me of the strap arrangement in the movie when you see the close-up of Ripley locking her feet in - the straps are attached not to the foot plate but the back of the leg via some sort of metal armature. And I see that you can purchase strap kits for the drywall stilts so I'm thinking that might be of some use. Loved the reminder of Joel's one man band outfit BTW :p

Tom, I think maybe subconsciously one of the reasons I started a thread here was to give me that extra pressure/motivation to really try to see it through.

Anyway, the pics so far show the foot 'buckets' as I call them, and the work I've done so far on the stilts. I'm going to try and fit all the necessary stabilising pieces of the stilts tomorrow. Couple of bonus pics - a shot I took for Aliens Day showing my small collection of Aliens merch, and the other photo is an item I scored for a mere £10 which arrived yesterday and is going into storage for future use...of course you all know what it is and what it is part of :D

Credit where it's due: 'Alex The Movie Geek' is the fellow whose build I referred to in my first post...but I have looked at quite a few PL builds, from the guy on the Aliens DVD who built one in 86 and ended up working for Jim Cameron to the guy who built one round himself and put his baby I the front. I have a lot of awe and respect for the few who have gone before me.

Oh I have also found a pretty good 4 point harness - 'Willans' brand has an almost identical locking mechanism, just needs a repaint and a label!

Attachments

• IMG_20160429_215831.jpg
    IMG_20160429_215831.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20160429_215810.jpg
    IMG_20160429_215810.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20160501_151126.jpg
    IMG_20160501_151126.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20160501_151131.jpg
    IMG_20160501_151131.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20160426_165918.jpg
    IMG_20160426_165918.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20160501_202551.jpg
    IMG_20160501_202551.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Exteriors of the bottoms of the feet look good. I'm worried about the structural strength of those stilts, though. If you lean a bit, to the side, or forwards or backwards, that's going to put a lot of stress on the joins between the shafts and the platforms.

Nice jacket and nice score on the TV. The plush chestburster looks familiar :)

-MJ

Attachments

• Halloween 2014.jpg
    Halloween 2014.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 102
Don't worry about the structural strength of the stilts...in fact I did double up on the vertical struts for that very reason, but I will be adding triangular supports top and bottom on all four sides, with the forward underside stabilisers longer towards the front. The weight is pretty much centred on the central point of the vertical strut and the larger baseplate will hopefully mean better weight distribution not to mention weighing the Loader down just enough to prevent toppling or being blown over.

Hey all! Just a quick update. I have only one set of the stabilisers left to fit to the stilts and then I'm going to add some screws to secure them. All being well I should be up on the stilts and testing them by the end of the week! Both my housemates are certain it's going to wrong LOL!

I also got a pack of 10 A1 size foam boards from Amazon so I can start doing the leg panels :)

No new pics yet as I don't really have anything new that's worth showing but I should have some when the stilts are finished.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back