{WIP} - Ezra's Light Saber

Prototypical

I have designed up Ezra's Light Saber but I think I have messed up the scaling. Obviously, I would like to fix any issues before I print up to much.

My scaling started with this screen grab from the episode "Path of the Jedi"
bandicam 2015-01-16 09-36-30-767.jpg and Ezra-LS-1.jpg

Based on the size of Kanen's hand and using my own to scale, I figured that the hilt had a diameter of 2". So I came up with this as my final design...
Ezra Light Saber Mk2.JPG
Overall Dimensions 2-1/4" x 7-3/4" x 12-1/4"

I'm starting to wonder if my scaling is off. A 2" diameter hilt is a bit big for me, it would probably be HUGE to a 14 year old. I've been looking at http://www.thecustomsabershop.com and most of their main bodies are 1-1/2" diameter.

I really want to get going on this build, but I don't want to waste time and effort on something oversized.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: SW Rebels - Ezra's Light Saber - Scaling Questions

From those pics and from watching the series, to me the lightsaber's overall length looks much smaller than 12" (it's a 1 handed saber after all and in a young teen's hand which can be considered smaller than an adult's) and around 1.5" or less in diameter where the rings are on the lower part of the handle area.

I made a model of it and I'm pretty happy with the scale. I have the upper (lighter silver) section of the grip as 1.5 inches, and my total height is just a hair over 10". I can post a picture in the morning of how it lines up with my hand, but I think that's pretty close to accurate size.

I would say 1.5 inch for the tube would be about right... I would just assume it would have the same diameter as any flash based saber... (that IS 1.5, right?)

I might even go a bit thinner and make the main diameter of the grip around 1-3/8. Great model btw

This is my sons outfit I made him the hilt is 1.5 inches in diameter as you can see it's still big

Alrighty, I think you all are correct, thats why I asked the experts :cool I'm not sure how I came up with 2" for the hilt diameter, but that's not important.

I spent all morning rescaling and tweeking my model.
Ezra Light Saber Mk3.JPG
Now the overall height is 9-1/2"

Thank you so much for posting that great pic of Kanan holding the lightsaber. I've been puzzling over the scaling of the thing myself, recently.

The Rubies version I think is somewhat close in size, though with the grip diameter proportionally scaled up to make room for the collapsible blade.

The diameter of the grip in the picture above is just under 2" -- definitely too large. However you can see here that in my hand the overall size is about right in comparison to when Kanan holds it.

Proportions aren't perfect -- the overall thickness of the dark green section at top and black section at bottom was increased to match the larger grip diameter -- but overall it will be a useful reference. It's much closer than the Hasbro version, at least.

Overall length of the Rubies is 9 1/4"

Here's a good view from the front in case you don't have it:

10848981_407604419396187_1581135439485700181_o.jpg

Hasbro has been having a lot of issues these days but they really have done so much better on hilt sizing. Anyone got input as to how far off their electronic Ezra lightsaber's hilt size is compared to on screen?

I guess this is as good of a way as any. I just purchased this tube to be the upper part of the Hilt. It is 1-1/2" dia.
DSC_0033[1].JPG
And compare it to the screen grab
bandicam 2015-01-16 09-36-30-767.jpg

it is very obvious the Hasbro version's hilt is to big by about 25% (the same problem I had originally)

{WIP} Ezra's Light Saber

And So It Begins...

DSC_0035[1].JPG DSC_0034[1].JPG

Here are the first few parts of Ezra's Light Saber. This is a test to see how everything fits.

A few more parts done. I have to remake the clamp because I fat fingered a dimension (opps). Unfortunately the Pommel does not fit at the moment.

DSC_0036[1].JPG

And for my next trick... I going to make the HIlt out of... Uhm... plumbing parts. :eek

Well maybe tomorrow, It's getting a bit to/too/tutu dark to run a table saw.

Me-Sa Broke it. :facepalm (OK, that is the last time in this post that I will quote, how ever badly, Jar-Jar) :rolleyes

I was getting a lot accomplished, late last night my Printer's feed tube broke away. I have replacement parts on order but I'm not sure when they will arrive.

You think an Industrial city like Detroit, I would be able to find these components. :confused

this is exciting! I'm a huge fan of the rebels series, can't wait to see the progress! keep up the great work!

Here we go

The Printer is up and running, even with the USPS trying their best to delay me.
Right now, I'm trying to fit this in between other projects. The good thing is that most of the 3D printing is done, all I need to do is finish work.

DSC_0037[1].JPG

Yes, that is a 1/4 threaded rod sticking out of the top. And yes, it will get cut back. And the 2 red spots are locations I have to drill holes.

More to/too/tutu come :ninja

To tell the truth, I was originally going to make the the grooved part of the hilt out of 1-1/4 PVC pipe. The plan was to cut the grooves with a table saw. The result was OK if you could convince everyone who looked at it that Ezra was Drunk while making that part.

GAWD I wish I had access to a lathe. I could of finished that part in 10minutes instead of the 2+ hours on the printer.

GAWD I wish I had access to a lathe. I could of finished that part in 10minutes instead of the 2+ hours on the printer.
Yes, they do come in handy. This type of project is exactly why I was asking you about the 3D printer. You and I have the opposite problem. :D

I have a Sherline 4400...you could probably pick up the non-CNC version (which is what I have) for around what your printer cost.

Saber looks great!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back