WIP: Cold cast copper P2 bio

hez1

Cast this up today and polished it up. Still need to get some stuff so it doesn't look so uniform, but here's what I have so far.

Trimmed, but otherwise right out of the mold. A pretty unattractive brown color.

IMG_2755.jpg.gif

Polished with some steel wool, coarse, fine and extra fine.

IMG_2756.jpg.gif

Sprayed it down with some metal cleanser and then polished it with brasso. Got a decent shine going on in parts, but the copper is already starting to tarnish. Going to have to fix that when it comes to the next step.

IMG_2759.jpg.gif

That's it for now, more to come when I get supplies for the next step!

pretty nice
I specially like the color.

BTW
Did you add the copper when casting it or after you casted it???
Because I have seen products, that you need to first pour the coat and then fill it with the casting resin

This is new, or technically, very old. I sold this bio about 8 years ago, and got the chance to remold it recently.

The copper powder is first dusted into the mold, then more is mixed with resin. A thin skin of the copper/resin mixture is all that's needed, and then cast the regular way. Otherwise it would weigh about 5lbs from all the copper powder in there.

This is new, or technically, very old. I sold this bio about 8 years ago, and got the chance to remold it recently.

The copper powder is first dusted into the mold, then more is mixed with resin. A thin skin of the copper/resin mixture is all that's needed, and then cast the regular way. Otherwise it would weigh about 5lbs from all the copper powder in there. :D
Wow. 8 years
Would you say this mold is better/more accurate then the ones you recently stoped molding?
Gonna be selling these in the future?

Damn Paul! you work fast! I was just mentioning to you that I would love to see pics of it and voila! you post them up looks ace bud
can wait to own a cold casted P1 and P2 one of this days

How ironic,

About oh 8-10 years ago, a friend of mine and I were talking about casting a P2 in bronze,just never happen.Nice job.

Daren

MightyHunter, that's an odd question to answer. This stunt bio has direct lineage to the original stunt bio in P2. My hero version was simply a modified stunt, where the real hero was a completely different sculpt. Basically, the answer is that they should really be considered 2 entirely different bios, and so 'better' is completely subjective. More accurate...well, the stunt is more accurate to the movie stunt than the hero is to the movie hero.

And now...finished pics! Well, nearly. I'm probably going to darken the mesh a little more. I must say, this thing is bloody difficult to photograph. The copper shined up well and so looks like actual metal. The finishing was achieved with black and green waxes, brushed on and then burnished with a cloth. It looks better in person, I really wish I had the camera equipment that would do it justice.

And yes, I will be selling them if anyone wants one...same prices as the old one, little extra for the cold cast.

IMG_2801.jpg.gif

IMG_2802.jpg.gif

IMG_2803.jpg.gif

IMG_2808.jpg.gif

IMG_2809.jpg.gif

IMG_2810.jpg.gif

Thanks for the reply :eek:

And it came out great! Ill be ordering one at the end of this month for sure.

Great job on this!

paul thats awesome with the copper will it naturaly get that grenny weathed look to it or do you put it out in the rain for a cupal of day

Thanks guys!

Smasher, this one won't weather naturally because of the wax that it's been coated with. If you wanted one that would, it would just look like the third pic in my original post, and then you'd have to put it outside or something and let the elements do their work.

Personally I'm not a fan of the naturally weathered copper look when it comes to the P2. Sure, it may look like copper, but this was an alien hunter from another planet. The one piece of hardware they did get their hands on matched nothing on the periodic table. Whatever that bio was made of, it wasn't ****ing copper. I just try my best to match the look of the screen used one.

Thanks guys!

Smasher, this one won't weather naturally because of the wax that it's been coated with. If you wanted one that would, it would just look like the third pic in my original post, and then you'd have to put it outside or something and let the elements do their work.

Personally I'm not a fan of the naturally weathered copper look when it comes to the P2. Sure, it may look like copper, but this was an alien hunter from another planet. The one piece of hardware they did get their hands on matched nothing on the periodic table. Whatever that bio was made of, it wasn't ****ing copper. I just try my best to match the look of the screen used one.
well maybe the lost hunters melted down a old copper boiler and cast the p2s bio for him lol enyways it looks f%^*ing awesome

Well, I have all kinds of patinas here to play with if people WANT the weathered copper look...I'm just personally not a fan.

Oh, there's no paint on it. Just wax. Starting with a plain, polished bio, I brushed on black wax, dabbing it on a little more thickly in certain areas than others, and let that dry. Then I brushed on green wax, again going heavier in certain areas, since there is a very distinct green cast to the original in parts. Let that almost dry and burnished it (rubbed it vigorously with a cloth, lol) giving it a nice shine and allowing the polish of the metal to show through.

Stefan - Thanks.

I really love the look you've achieved here. I'm especially interested in the wax technique.
I've done paintings using wax with oils (encaustic) , but never thought of using the same technique for bios.
Mike

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back