WIP: Bandai 1/5000 Star Destroyer Standard but lighted

Thanks! Since I've never soldered before, I'm looking for boards with clamps. Do you think this one would work just as well?

This can happen when accidentally using the wrong power supply (24V) ... I call it battle damage ... arghhh ... could have been a disaster though ... haha.

3abde7940c7dd57014352ca32d70e7e9.jpg

128bf57205112deb63e66e51ee1466ab.jpg

3a8101b426a7cd6c93f2725a38186afb.jpg

I like the light in this shot.

73a1aa3377ed9b63e3211708ea9b0a69.jpg

And already built the case for this SD.

0fb62f911ec9532a55368098da6da8a0.jpg

bb28f03c221826583e95007816893da3.jpg

29b32defdbb7c8a1a1d4e042ac0a2a3b.jpg

0d8b91703db247305a1dfd5ee589043e.jpg

53ae330bdc14895fe8c701b373e9860a.jpg

a18a417114cc2bb3b6252054de3d632a.jpg

df2041c19c3bd664ef304332c4fd5f94.jpg

cheers

Dirk

I like that you put in the spotlights, I think it is odd Bandai did not put them there in the kit, or even in the documentation. Imho they're an important part of the look of the SD.

Beautiful work on both, they really look great side by side.
I am ashamed to admit it, but as far as Star Destroyers I've only built the Revell build and play...lol.
I really can't afford both Zed and Bandai right now and I still can't decide...obviously Bandai is far superior but I'm a sucker for the size of the Zed.
Really think I'm gonna go Bandai though.
Anyway, most impressive fleet.

Beautiful work on both, they really look great side by side.
I am ashamed to admit it, but as far as Star Destroyers I've only built the Revell build and play...lol.
I really can't afford both Zed and Bandai right now and I still can't decide...obviously Bandai is far superior but I'm a sucker for the size of the Zed.
Really think I'm gonna go Bandai though.
Anyway, most impressive fleet.
Before you decide, take note of the one really significant issue with the Bandai kit - the fact that something is misaligned enough through the two hull halves that it pulls the whole ship up, noticeably out of alignment - look at a variety of builds and you'll see the same thing going on. Additionally, though less universally, there appears to be some issue with the starboard side of the wedding cake not slotting properly into place in the hull. Not every build has this problem, but some do, and I've got it on mine from my first dry fits.
The Big Z doesn't have these issues, but overall it has less impressive detail, and some grating geometry inaccuracies that just make it look like a Star Destroyer-shaped-object rather than making you go "my god, that's the 8 footer somehow miniaturized into my display cabinet!". The bridge is too big, the whole tower is at the wrong angle, the hull is too flat, and the trench isn't tall enough. Then, if you're thinking about lighting either kit, my experience so far as a novice is that the Big Z is just not designed for it - particularly in the wedding cake, you're going to be drilling through multiple layers of plastic with tiny bits and it's a tedious, frustrating process. The Bandai is ready to light right out of the box.

Anyways, both have their irritations - just be aware of them before making a choice :)

If you're thinking about lighting either kit, my experience so far as a novice is that the Big Z is just not designed for it - particularly in the wedding cake, you're going to be drilling through multiple layers of plastic with tiny bits and it's a tedious, frustrating process.

Or you can do what I did:

20171108_054943.jpg

Great job!!! does this kit includes everything like the lighted version but without the battery and lights, does it come with all the light deflectors and the clear parts to distribute lights to the engines? I really like the idea of using a remote, the lighted version you have to opens to top section every time you want to turn it on/off very annoying!

GFollano

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back