WIP ANH Darth Vader - Update with Photos

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Video and Photo Update Post #18

Nice work mate. I am absolutely loving this thread mate. Truly inspiring. Keep it up:)

Best
TAZ

Looking good so far Masterstumpy, not sure what's going on with TPD either.

Thanks for your kind words :D

Runnriottt, that's a great idea using the bike helmet. My helmet setup is very similar, though I have used a heavily modified bowl that fits nicely on my head when lined with foam. Hopefully I'll have pics up soon

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader

Ok, I'm sort of happy and I'm sort of not.....

The pictures attached show a rough 'Prototype' of my inner facemask set up. It is made up of pvc pipe, pvc end caps, some bolts and nuts, and a salad bowl :lol (The tape on the inside of the facemask are there to temporarily hold in position the magnets for the dome mounting system, which worked even better when I added the two magnets to the inside of the faceplate)

The things I'm happy with: I'm happy with the shape, the height that it makes the helmet sit on the wearers head, its comfortable when foam is added, and the way it looks.

The thing I'm not happy with: The plastic has too much flex in it.
Even though everything is secure, the flex makes the helmet still move slightly around the wearers head.

Now, I have to possible plans of attack:
1. Try to reinforce the inner helmet that I have.
2. Find another bowl or something with a similar shape that is made of a more solid, less flexible material.

Overall, I'm very happy with the design, and I really like the way it looks. I plan to cover the inner helmet in black material once it is completed.
Let me know what you all think.

Thanks for reading,
Cameron

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Photo Update Post #23

Ok, I have a smile on my face again :D

Today I bought another bowl of similar size made of a much thicker, harder plastic with no flex in it at all. I'm currently modifying the "Inner Helmet #2," and hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon. So far, I'm very happy with how this inner helmet is progressing :D

Stay tuned!!!!

Thanks for reading,
Cameron

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Photo Update Post #26

A little update:

It's been a while since my last update so I thought I'd show you all where my progress is at. I'm still working on the inner faceplace setup. The overall shape is pretty good; I've got some slight mods to do before I cover it in fabric and line the inside with foam. I was thinking about bolting a helmet liner to the inside of 'Inner Helmet #2' but I think I'll just fill it with foam padding. I don't want to wreck it then have to start Inner Helmet #3 :lol

After I finish my inner helmet I want to attach the shoulder bells to the chest armor.

On a side note, I'm really excited to see Episode 1 in 3D in the next 24 hours. Even though the movie isn't my favorite, I'm still excited. Darth Maul was one of the best things to come out of the prequels!!!!

Thanks for reading,
Cameron

This is incredible! I look forward to seeing it completed!

Thanks Thoth :D
Its slowly coming together. I plan to hopefully have it finished before July, it all just depends on when I order my soft goods.

Thanks Lost21stJedi :thumbsup

I'm still fiddling with my inner helmet setup at the moment; still sanding, cutting, drilling, etc. Just thought I'd share a picture of me testing the setup. It sits on my head pretty well, and gives with a little more height as well. i think I'm heading in the right direction, plus it hides my ugly mug, but I'm sure you'll see that in the future :lol

Hopefully I'll have it finished in a few days.

Your costume looks great and that helmet mod is very cool. Have you ever done an Anakin costume with the prosthetic arm? That would be such a cool costume.

Thanks everyone :D I'm very happy with how everything is turning out :cool

Jedifyfe, an Anakin costume is something I plan to do in the future, and having a robotic arm would make it extra cool!!!

I'm pretty much finished the shape of the inner helmet, and I'm now working on padding the helmet and armor so that it sits nice on my body. I hopefully will have some pics up of me messing around with the padding :love

Thought I'd give you all a quick update. I've finished shaping my inner helmet, I only need to button up a few things on it and it'll be ready to be covered in fabric.

I felt like a change, so I attacked something different today: the chest box :D The picture I've attached is a quick layout of how I plan to place all of the objects on the chest box. Hopefully it looks ok; if it looks severely out of wack then let me know so that I can change it.

The aluminium chest rods have been screwed into position. It was so painful to get them to look right; I hope they look right!!! :confused

Everything else except for the buttons/rocker switches will be replaced, thus the paint on some of the pieces. I wanted to test out some of my paints on the resin :lol I'm waiting on some aluminium coin slots, and I still need to buy some accurate red and green squares, and then I'll be able to set everything in place.

I know its not accurate, but I'm putting lights in the coin slots, ESB style. I don't know if I've said it previously but my Vader will be a more idealistic/clean representation, though I'm not wanting to stray too far from accuracy. Hopefully, when the lights are turned off you won't be able to see the LEDs in the coin slots, so hopefully it will still be able to be worn accuratly if I want to.

Thats about it :)

Thanks for reading,
Cameron

Note, this is still needs to be sanded. Apologies for the bad photo

Last edited:

Looking good so far ! I love the inventive way you solved the positioning, very cool. Looking forward to seeing more from you !

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates but I've been really busy with a new job, plus I've been waiting for some parts to come in.

I've recently started working on the templates for my padded suit, and the foam I needed recently came in at one of my local stores, so hopefully that will take shape very soon. I've done some test fits and my ideas look like they'll work, but we'll just have to see.

I'm also waiting on a few parts for my chest box, and once I get them I'll be able to put it all together and get the layout of the pieces right. I'm using as much aluminium pieces as I can, which is a bit stytlistic, but thats what I like. I need to buy some leather aswell for the chest box straps. Does anyone know the width of the straps? Any help would be muchly appreciated :D I've already made a test strap system, which is very similar in design to what was used on the original, and I'm very happy with how it all fits and sits.

I've also got a robeset being made by an awesome member here on RPF, so my Vader should take more shape in the next coming weeks/months :cool

Thanks for reading :thumbsup
Cameron

The helmet's looking great so far and the bowl is a creative solution for your inner helmet. I have the ESB version of this helmet and I could never get a hard hat liner to work either.

Your chest box straps should be 1" in width. If you haven't already picked up your material, Tandy Leather is a great source for your straps, buckles, dyes, etc.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Papa Darth for the strap width:thumbsup
And yes, the inner helmet works great, though if the helmet lining method had worked I would have used it. I'm kinda glad that it didn't work :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back