WIP ANH Darth Vader - Update with Photos

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by masterstumpy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. masterstumpy

masterstumpy Active Member

Hello everyone,
    I thought it was about time that I shared one of my projects with you all :)
    I've been working on my ANH Darth Vader for a good few months now, and I'm currently still collecting my parts.

I've just hit the majority of my armor with its first coat of primer. The pictures show it in its current form; the primer is yet to be sanded and there are ALOT of little things that I want to smooth out and refine, so its still a little rough.

My goal is to stay fairly accurate, but I don't want to get too crazy and get overly picky because at the end of the day there will always be inaccuracies. I'm still a teenager, so I didn't experience the star wars films at the cinemas, but as a young child I developed an image of Vader that has stayed with me since the age of about 4. My goal to try to achieve that image of Vader that I developed as a young child, even if it isn't necessarily totally accurate.

My Vader will be cleaner then the film version; I'm yet to decide whether I'll go for a satin black or gloss black (I want your opinions :D), but I will be painting the gunmetal on with a fine bristled brush.

Currently, I've been focusing on the dome placement, which is a bit of a pain.
    My helmet is made by a banned member (you all know who he is, but I don't want this thread to go off track about him and his customer service) that I bought from someone who had purchased it years ago. I believe it to be an ANH V2 helmet (correct me if I'm wrong), which has the inaccurate ESB/ROTJ dome mount. I've read many stories about this mounting system on an ANH vader helmet and how hard it is to get the dome to sit right, which is why I only want to get it the best that I can. I'm not looking for a perfect faceplate-to-dome position, but I want to find a position that looks really nice, even if its not accurate. I think it looks pretty good in the photos, but I still think the dome needs to be lowered just a little bit more. I'd love to hear your input :D (My armor is made by GH)

I've still got to buy the soft goods and boots, I've still got to make a suit to bulk up my body when I wear the suit, and I also need to make a hand attachment for my prosthetic arm. I was born without my left lower arm, but hopefully when the suit is complete you won't be able to tell :) I also plan on making a "hand missing" arm attachment like that from ROTJ, just for s**ts and giggles :lol

I want to hear what you all think!!! Constructive criticism is welcome!!!
    If you want to see more pictures just ask. Hopefully I'll be able to get some outside in natural light (I don't like using the camera flash, it lights up the armor too much). I apologize for the bad lighting.

May the force be with you,
    Cameron

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    P3laton3 likes this.
  2. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader

Lookin' good :thumbsup , keep us posted with progress pics.

3. masterstumpy

The more I look at the photos and the helmet itself, I can see that the dome definitely needs to be lowered. Hopefully I'll set about doing that tomorrow :)

Its challenging when you work on a Vader; often you can tell that something is a little off, but its hard to say exactly what. I'm learning though, and I doubt this will be the only vader helmet that I own :p

4. R2Dan

R2Dan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ANH Vader is the way to go - looking forward to your progress :)

5. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Looking good. Love that armor. I wouldn't lower the dome, or if you did, only do it by very little. Angle seems to be good.

Definitely go with gloss.

6. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

I enjoyed reading your post and think you are off to a great start. I love the hand-missing attachment idea. BTW, I think the placement of the helmet to the mask looks pretty good, and remember that in ANH it was often placed a little differently from shot to shot anyway (sometimes extreme), due to the attachment system.

7. masterstumpy

R2Dan, Too Much Garlic and Ghost Host, thank you very much for your comments :D I'm happy that I'm on the right track , specially coming from the people who know the most about Vader. I hope that one day I'll have as much knowledge of Vader as you have :)

I think I might take your advice and leave the dome at the height that it is atm. I'm pretty happy with the overall look, and how the helmet sits nicely above the armor. Hopefully I'll have the shoulder bells temporarily attached in the next few days just to make sure I have the around the right way and at the right angle.

Too Much Garlic, I think I'm going to give the gloss a try. I'm going to test my painting skills on something else just to make sure I can get the finish that I want, before moving onto my pride and joy. And I love my armor too; I'm glad that I waited a little so I could afford it :)

8. sskunky

sskunky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to agree the dome looks great.... Move it and it could all go wrong :lol
    Definitely go gloss on it. That hand hand brushed gun metal. It's easier than it sounds. Just make sure you mask everything off correctly and you cannot go wrong. I use a 1" brush, that works for me.

I love a good vader project! :thumbsup

9. masterstumpy

Thanks sskunky :D I'm still working on my ROTJ stormtrooper armor from you guys!!! I've got sooo much work to do :p

More pics!!! Got some daylight pics this morning.
    On one of the pictures I've highlighted some things I've been thinking about.

Figure 1:
    I've been working on a system with magnets so that the dome will snap to the same place every time its placed on the faceplate. I'll include some pictures of it later on when its closer to completion. What I've been playing with is the distance from the pointed peak of the dome to the faceplate. It looks pretty good, but should it be a little closer? The ring dome mount has some slight play in it so I'm able to do slight adjustments.

Figure 2:
    This is something I don't know if I can or should attempt to fix. With a perfect dome-to-faceplate placement, you shouldn't be able to see the right-angled end of the neck piece. The other side fits perfectly, but in this image, the bottom edge of the dome is just a tad too high. Let me know whether you think I should leave it, or if I should fix it, what plan of action should I take? I can probably live with it the way it is, but let me know what you think.

I'm at the point in my project where my goal is to secure the position of every piece, so that everything will sit right when its done. I don't want to have to worry about that when its ready to be painted, or even after that.

My mannequin looks pretty scabby atm; they never do make readily available Prowse sized mannequins. I don't know how many times I've added foam and ripped it off over the last few months :p

Thanks for reading, and may the force be with you all!!!!

10. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

That looks like a very good start Cameron. Keep us updated. Never too much Vader wips:thumbsup

11. Verbal21

Verbal21 Active Member

Looking good so far, I can't wait to see this thru to the end

12. Dioxide

Dioxide Member

That's a great start - looking forward to the whole WIP :thumbsup

And if i compare the statement at your first post
    with statements in the following ones showing that your already infected with the nitpicking virus :lol

13. Too Much Garlic

The dome still sits okay to me. As GH mentioned, it really was all over the place in the movie, so there's pretty much no real wrong way to place it.

I found that an inverted Don Post Classic Action T-shaped dome mount within the dome instead of on the face mask created the perfect placement every time, by having a lip that extends down the rear edge of the face mask and rests on the crown and the brow of the face mask. Line it with felt or some other fabric, so it won't damage the paint job on the face mask.

Not the best pictures and I never really got to clean up the crappy work, but it always sat in that exact position every time with this type of mount:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. masterstumpy

Thanks for all of your comments :D

Dioxide, you got me, I think most prop builders have the virus, and it spreads so quickly :lol

Too Much Garlic, I think I have read your thread before, or a comment you left on the thread about your mounting mechanism. I always thought it was an awesome idea. It sits nice and you don't have to modify your faceplate at all.

15. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Awesome looking work you are doing there mate. All the best with your efforts and I look forward to seeing the results:)

From one Vader to another;)

Best
    TAZ

16. masterstumpy

Thanks :D Together we can rule the galaxy as Aussie Vaders!!!

17. masterstumpy

Quick update:
    I've just about finished the mounting system and I'm pretty happy with it :D

I'll be putting up some pictures either today or tomorrow, maybe even a video. It's hard to explain and easier to just show you all.

It works on a concept already used before; three mounts permantly attached to the inside of the dome sit against the faceplate and hold it steady with magnets. Together with the ring mount it holds the helmet together nicely.

Next update soon,
    Cameron

18. masterstumpy

Update with photos and video:
    I just wanted to show everyone my dome mounting mechanism. Its still a little rough, but once I'm happy with how everything fits together I'll go back and neaten everything up. I'm pretty happy with how the mount works and the way in which the dome sits on the faceplate :D

I've also made a video featuring the mounting system. Its a quick and simple video. Apologies for the video orientation.

ANH Darth Vader Project - Update 1 - YouTube

My progress has been a little slow over the past few days. Work has been wearing me out, and because I work night shift I end up sleeping in the middle of the day, which is the best time to work on Vader. I don't have my own workshop either because I'm still living at home, but hopefully in the next month or two I'll be out on my own in a house where I can have my own workshop :D

My next goals are to secure a helmet liner to the inside of the faceplate so that it sits nicely on the wearers head, secure the shoulder bells to the chest armor and to start my padded suit. Once I have my padded suit finished then I can take the appropriate measurements and order my soft goods.

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    P3laton3 likes this.
  19. masterstumpy

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Video and Photo Update Post #18

Ok everyone, a quick update:

For the last few days I've been working on a mechanism inside the faceplate to attach the helmet to the wearers head. Originally I had planned to use a helmet liner, but I couldn't get it to sit right, and because the neck is so slim on my helmet I also found it quite hard to get my head into the helmet liner. I know others have had huge success with the helmet liner, but for my helmet, I just couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction. So after a lot of thought, I decided to go with an earlier idea that I had.

It is pretty much a tight fitting helmet that is attached to the inside of the faceplate. So far, I'm pretty happy with its progress, though I'm still working on some stability issues, though I don't think they will be hard to solve. Hopefully I'll have some pictures up for you all tomorrow. I'm still waiting for some glue to dry, and once I'm completely satisfied with its performance I'll upload some pics. Should be tomorrow, if not the day after :D

I have also found a vest that I'll be purchasing shortly to help pad out my torso. Hopefully, once I have the helmet mounting system sorted, I'll be able to move onto getting the armor the sit properly on me.

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

A side note: I noticed today that there was something happening with the Prop Den. Every time I tried to visit the site I got an error message. Anyone know whats happening?

20. runnriottt

runnriottt Well-Known Member

As far as getting it on your head... This is what I do.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/runnriottt/Vader%20Comps/IMG_1222.jpg

Buy a kids bike helmet. Then start hacking away at it like so...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/runnriottt/Vader%20Comps/IMG_1224.jpg

I just kept fitting it in taking a little off at a time with a grinder. Horrible mess, but hey... Don't use the grinder attachment ever again for metal though... Kaboom. Not good.

Here it is glued in the face...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/runnriottt/Vader%20Comps/IMG_1225.jpg

and flush to the mask.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/runnriottt/Vader%20Comps/IMG_1226.jpg

Now, placing the dome over the mask and aligning it to the dome ring will bring a snug fit and once on, I can remove the whole helmet in one shot. I know the helmet you have is a heavy one, so support will be key. Pad to please.

The inside of the bike helmet may have to be ground out as well to fit your head.

The strap system in my opinion is not a good mount for a costume Vader. Accurate maybe, but very likely to cause you a few "spills" with your lid. Not good on expensive parts.

I also pad the armor form the main part. Some pad the shoulders, and that is fine for a raise in the neck line, but the front is a better look IMO. It will leave a gap for your chest box to slide up into minimizing damage on bend overs. Kinda like this...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/runnriottt/IMG_1766.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  21. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Nice work mate. I am absolutely loving this thread mate. Truly inspiring. Keep it up:)

Best
    TAZ

22. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Looking good so far Masterstumpy, not sure what's going on with TPD either.

23. masterstumpy

Thanks for your kind words :D

Runnriottt, that's a great idea using the bike helmet. My helmet setup is very similar, though I have used a heavily modified bowl that fits nicely on my head when lined with foam. Hopefully I'll have pics up soon

24. masterstumpy

Ok, I'm sort of happy and I'm sort of not.....

The pictures attached show a rough 'Prototype' of my inner facemask set up. It is made up of pvc pipe, pvc end caps, some bolts and nuts, and a salad bowl :lol (The tape on the inside of the facemask are there to temporarily hold in position the magnets for the dome mounting system, which worked even better when I added the two magnets to the inside of the faceplate)

The things I'm happy with: I'm happy with the shape, the height that it makes the helmet sit on the wearers head, its comfortable when foam is added, and the way it looks.

The thing I'm not happy with: The plastic has too much flex in it.
    Even though everything is secure, the flex makes the helmet still move slightly around the wearers head.

Now, I have to possible plans of attack:
    1. Try to reinforce the inner helmet that I have.
    2. Find another bowl or something with a similar shape that is made of a more solid, less flexible material.

Overall, I'm very happy with the design, and I really like the way it looks. I plan to cover the inner helmet in black material once it is completed.
    Let me know what you all think.

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

25. masterstumpy

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Photo Update Post #23

Ok, I have a smile on my face again :D

Today I bought another bowl of similar size made of a much thicker, harder plastic with no flex in it at all. I'm currently modifying the "Inner Helmet #2," and hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon. So far, I'm very happy with how this inner helmet is progressing :D

Stay tuned!!!!

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

26. masterstumpy

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Photo Update Post #26

A little update:

It's been a while since my last update so I thought I'd show you all where my progress is at. I'm still working on the inner faceplace setup. The overall shape is pretty good; I've got some slight mods to do before I cover it in fabric and line the inside with foam. I was thinking about bolting a helmet liner to the inside of 'Inner Helmet #2' but I think I'll just fill it with foam padding. I don't want to wreck it then have to start Inner Helmet #3 :lol

After I finish my inner helmet I want to attach the shoulder bells to the chest armor.

On a side note, I'm really excited to see Episode 1 in 3D in the next 24 hours. Even though the movie isn't my favorite, I'm still excited. Darth Maul was one of the best things to come out of the prequels!!!!

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

27. Thoth

Thoth New Member

This is incredible! I look forward to seeing it completed!

28. masterstumpy

Thanks Thoth :D
    Its slowly coming together. I plan to hopefully have it finished before July, it all just depends on when I order my soft goods.

29. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

nice job :thumbsup

30. masterstumpy

Thanks Lost21stJedi :thumbsup

I'm still fiddling with my inner helmet setup at the moment; still sanding, cutting, drilling, etc. Just thought I'd share a picture of me testing the setup. It sits on my head pretty well, and gives with a little more height as well. i think I'm heading in the right direction, plus it hides my ugly mug, but I'm sure you'll see that in the future :lol

Hopefully I'll have it finished in a few days.

31. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi there,

That looks absolutely stunning, mate!

:)

-Chaim

32. kevinvader

kevinvader New Member

Looking really sharp friend!Really sharp!

33. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Nice. Looking forward to seeing you suited up mate:)

Best
    TAZ

34. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your costume looks great and that helmet mod is very cool. Have you ever done an Anakin costume with the prosthetic arm? That would be such a cool costume.

35. masterstumpy

Thanks everyone :D I'm very happy with how everything is turning out :cool

Jedifyfe, an Anakin costume is something I plan to do in the future, and having a robotic arm would make it extra cool!!!

I'm pretty much finished the shape of the inner helmet, and I'm now working on padding the helmet and armor so that it sits nice on my body. I hopefully will have some pics up of me messing around with the padding :love

36. masterstumpy

Thought I'd give you all a quick update. I've finished shaping my inner helmet, I only need to button up a few things on it and it'll be ready to be covered in fabric.

I felt like a change, so I attacked something different today: the chest box :D The picture I've attached is a quick layout of how I plan to place all of the objects on the chest box. Hopefully it looks ok; if it looks severely out of wack then let me know so that I can change it.

The aluminium chest rods have been screwed into position. It was so painful to get them to look right; I hope they look right!!! :confused

Everything else except for the buttons/rocker switches will be replaced, thus the paint on some of the pieces. I wanted to test out some of my paints on the resin :lol I'm waiting on some aluminium coin slots, and I still need to buy some accurate red and green squares, and then I'll be able to set everything in place.

I know its not accurate, but I'm putting lights in the coin slots, ESB style. I don't know if I've said it previously but my Vader will be a more idealistic/clean representation, though I'm not wanting to stray too far from accuracy. Hopefully, when the lights are turned off you won't be able to see the LEDs in the coin slots, so hopefully it will still be able to be worn accuratly if I want to.

Thats about it :)

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

Note, this is still needs to be sanded. Apologies for the bad photo

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  37. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

Looking good so far ! I love the inventive way you solved the positioning, very cool. Looking forward to seeing more from you !

38. masterstumpy

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates but I've been really busy with a new job, plus I've been waiting for some parts to come in.

I've recently started working on the templates for my padded suit, and the foam I needed recently came in at one of my local stores, so hopefully that will take shape very soon. I've done some test fits and my ideas look like they'll work, but we'll just have to see.

I'm also waiting on a few parts for my chest box, and once I get them I'll be able to put it all together and get the layout of the pieces right. I'm using as much aluminium pieces as I can, which is a bit stytlistic, but thats what I like. I need to buy some leather aswell for the chest box straps. Does anyone know the width of the straps? Any help would be muchly appreciated :D I've already made a test strap system, which is very similar in design to what was used on the original, and I'm very happy with how it all fits and sits.

I've also got a robeset being made by an awesome member here on RPF, so my Vader should take more shape in the next coming weeks/months :cool

Thanks for reading :thumbsup
    Cameron

39. Papa Darth

Papa Darth New Member

The helmet's looking great so far and the bowl is a creative solution for your inner helmet. I have the ESB version of this helmet and I could never get a hard hat liner to work either.

Your chest box straps should be 1" in width. If you haven't already picked up your material, Tandy Leather is a great source for your straps, buckles, dyes, etc.

Keep up the good work.

40. masterstumpy

Thanks Papa Darth for the strap width:thumbsup
    And yes, the inner helmet works great, though if the helmet lining method had worked I would have used it. I'm kinda glad that it didn't work :)

41. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

great work man, esp. considering the fact that you are working with only half the "tools" we others use.

Respect :) :thumbsup

Markus

42. masterstumpy

Thanks Markus :thumbsup

To be honest, I don't find it too hard working with only one hand. Sure, there are a few things that I've stuggled with and needed a helping hand, but I try my best to do it all on my own. I think it'll make it a bigger accomplishment in the end :cool

Thanks for your kind words,

Cameron

43. masterstumpy

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Photo Update Post #43

Quick update:

I received my awaited chestbox parts, which were some new rocker switches and some aluminium coin slots. I still need to find some accurate red and green squares then I'll have all of my chest box parts :D

The pic attached shows the planned layout of my chest box. The switches and coin slots are held on with bluetack for the moment. My chest box lighting (I know its not accurate, but I wanted my Vader to have flashing lights :lol) also fits nicely behind the coin slots :cool

Let me know what you all think :thumbsup

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

44. masterstumpy

Re: WIP ANH Darth Vader - Photo Update Post #44

Quick update:

Its been a few months now since I posted anything because there hasn't been anything to post. I moved out of home, so my Vader got packed away and moved, and its only now that I've been able to start working on my project again.

Not long ago I received my capeset, which is absolutely amazing!!! You can feel the quality in the weight of it. I'm looking forward to seeing it on my Vader. I need to work on my mannequins padding before I can start putting everything on, which hopefully will happen in the next few months. Padding out my mannequin has so far been the most challenging part of the project....

Thanks for reading,
    Cameron

45. masterstumpy

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share something with you. For ****s and giggles one night, I put my helmet and chest armor on one of my mates, who is a bigger bloke then I.

I couldn't believe how well if fitted on him. He's a bit bigger than the usual Vader, but trying the pieces on him solidified in my mind that my "inner helmet system" was going to work. The helmet sat well on his head, and in my opinion, the gap between the neckline of the faceplate and the top of the armour was spot on.

Now I just have to get my * into gear, spend a bit more money, and get my Vader finished!!!!

Thanks for reading,
    Cam

46. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good! You've got to practice your Vader posing... ;)

I find it almost impossible not to go around force choking people when I'm in costume. :lol

47. Too Much Garlic

You're right, that fits him rather well. How about paying him to be your full-time mannequin?

48. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Great progress!

49. gomcse

gomcse Member

Holy cow, this is fantastic!!!

50. masterstumpy

Thanks everyone.
    Hopefully it'll be finished in the next few months.
    I've been working on it since may last year so hopefully its not too long from completion.