{WIP}Ahsoka Tano as Fulcrum (!!!!!) Star Wars Rebels

mdb

Sr Member
So I'll put all the text and image files in a lovely spoiler :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91424360@N00/sets/72157651106759856/
Spoiler screen caps from Rebels Recon #14 and the USA Today video linked in that video! large files are 1520X1080, downloadable for other builds :) Already spotted pilot uniforms that look really comfy!

I wasn't too sure if I would do this, I knew based on way too many clues dropped around the place who she was, but when I saw her and her mature look and her ensemble.. I knew I had to do it :) As a fan of SWTOR and of Shaak Ti and Legacy and a few other specific Legends rated story arcs.)

This means a total new sculpt. Totally new. So I'm currently back filling my overly rigid togruta cast and am going to start carving it to shape tomorrow.

The costume is nice and simple but effect and wearer friendly. That was the part I really was excited about. No glueing on a bald cap down to the eyebrows, no need for totally never ever budge paint, and what looks like layers that will hide a tunic and pants line which means actual practical ability to wear!!!

ahsoka2.pngahsoka4.png
ahsoka7.pngahsoka10.png
asoka1.png

So I hope to use some nice and sturdy materials for this :) I have enough leather for the tassets type pieces and the most wonderful amount of thin pvc pipe for heating in to greaves :)

Please note I won't be able to ask people who reply to put things in spoiler messages- I just don't want people to be hit by them if they view this page by accident :)

Last edited:
Re: {WIP} Fulcrum (yes spoilers!!!!!) Star Wars Rebels

So Fulcrum is Ashoka? Thats kinda cool. Should have expected that. Nevertheless I love Togruta, eventhough there somehow potrayed as a sort of peaceful Hippie community in the clone wars series (ok only that one colony). I wonder, has there ever been a male togruta costume created?

Looks like an interesting project. Good luck on it.

I have to admit that I found the Rebels version of her a little odd... I mean, her markings are completely different than they were in Clone Wars. I kind of wish that they would have kept her markings so she didn't look so much like a different character... But maybe that's just me.

Looks like an interesting project. Good luck on it.

I have to admit that I found the Rebels version of her a little odd... I mean, her markings are completely different than they were in Clone Wars. I kind of wish that they would have kept her markings so she didn't look so much like a different character... But maybe that's just me.
What is interesting to me as a fan of the species (from first concept on) is the idea of growth and change from juevenile to adult. Given what we can presume to be her age I'm suspecting that they do live quite long indeed. Some of her old markings ar found all over SWTOR as are her new patterns, so there has definitely been some "this is how they need to work" discussions in the story group. The balance scale is also very much what we see in SWTOR too. I should do some screen grabs. Oh dear, how terrible ;)

The ties to the SWTOR look is so strong, not in her but her gear as well. So in Dave's interview in Rebels Recon #14 I just grinned when he mentioned her look was as if she had picked something up from an ancient Jedi temple. Because the overall look is very much that of a Jedi knight such as Satele or some of the in game gear. Specifically the balance and fit, again.

I'm very excited to be able to wear this species again :) I had to sell on my movie version of Shaak Ti as I cannot deal with the heavy boots, yards of long trailing skirt and robes, hood and lekku that push and sit on the robes. Twi'lek lekku are a breeze by comparison!

Sorry realised this would definitely spoil...
So as a bit of a laugh, this is me trialing my pink (Ashara) montral and lekku:
I still need to tidy and shape those front lekku in to better curves :)

Last edited by a moderator:

So Fulcrum is Ashoka? Thats kinda cool. Should have expected that. Nevertheless I love Togruta, eventhough there somehow potrayed as a sort of peaceful Hippie community in the clone wars series (ok only that one colony). I wonder, has there ever been a male togruta costume created?

Sorry I didn't see this, so spoilers again:

Yeah, I was not too sure where this was going, super happy with how they dealt with it! I was hoping for her return but I also figured that in world the Organas and Mothma were more likely to already be in leadership positions,.. but anyway, it was handled well :) And even I squeed :) There is the full reveal snippet here:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/03/03/star-wars-rebels-season-finale-reveal-exclusive/24245601/ It is the reveal, so spoilers!

I know people have used Shaak Ti Montral for male Togruta :) I should know but I think they are all the same in SWTOR too. TCW is about the only deliberately fully non-clone stamp representation of the species I know of. A few comics have used the Shaak Ti mold, or added an extra back tail. The pink lekku above are for my Ashara (Customisation 4- I think) and not fully finished or even close! But I accidentally wound up with more of a new Ahsoka shape than actual Ashara shape :).

Started putting clay and foil on my head cast. This is happening a lot faster than I thought but I have genuinely been stalled on so many projects that it's nice to work on somehting I mostly have all the materials for already :)

What is interesting to me as a fan of the species (from first concept on) is the idea of growth and change from juevenile to adult. Given what we can presume to be her age I'm suspecting that they do live quite long indeed. Some of her old markings ar found all over SWTOR as are her new patterns, so there has definitely been some "this is how they need to work" discussions in the story group. The balance scale is also very much what we see in SWTOR too. I should do some screen grabs. Oh dear, how terrible ;)

The ties to the SWTOR look is so strong, not in her but her gear as well. So in Dave's interview in Rebels Recon #14 I just grinned when he mentioned her look was as if she had picked something up from an ancient Jedi temple. Because the overall look is very much that of a Jedi knight such as Satele or some of the in game gear. Specifically the balance and fit, again.

I'm very excited to be able to wear this species again :) I had to sell on my movie version of Shaak Ti as I cannot deal with the heavy boots, yards of long trailing skirt and robes, hood and lekku that push and sit on the robes. Twi'lek lekku are a breeze by comparison![/SPOILER]

Sorry realised this would definitely spoil...
So as a bit of a laugh, this is me trialing my pink (Ashara) montral and lekku:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EhIssLXH0U&index=1&list=PLzH8aGVpMnZG3EyK8v4QsnD1y6cqojAQ4
I still need to tidy and shape those front lekku in to better curves :)

I always thought they have the same lifespan as humans (around 90-100 years)
Their markings stretch and grow as they age, i found them very similar to her clone war markings and thought they were a lovely natural growth.

Lekku are looking great!

I think the spoilers can be removed, it is all over the net about this. I read about it when not even trying to look for it.

Since I didn't start this thread I"ll leave it up to the maker to decide about stopping spoilers and I will use them as well.

When I looked at the lines in the new photos there were things that could be accounted for as growth but there is also places with brand new markings.
Old: AhsokaHS.jpg new ahsoka10_zps9z61m9a6.png

The marking on the top are different due to the headband, but you see her eyebrows have changed, the new one has a point on the inside of the left and right, where young only has a line. That feels new to me, not grown. The cheek lines are also much longer, longer that normal facial growth allows for.

The stripes on her Lekku have changed form being horizontal to vertical, as well as being more jagged, which completely changes her look.

I think overall they changed her look to make her more grown up but they took some artistic license as well and really modified her beyond what normal growth would do.

That said, I'm not an Alien geneticist or an expert in Togruta... so maybe this is possible in their growth cycle.

I think that its more of the style of the animation that has improved and they can now add more details... like 3po and r2

The Clone wars
825-C-3PO-and-R2-D2.jpg

Rebels

They will update all the characters in the same manner. Rebels are just slightly more realistic looking than TCW

Her lips, especially the upper lip, went from full to thin, which IMO is a characteristic in a human´s face that does not change that much with aging.

Lip thinning is very common. I just recently saw the last season of Glee and boy.. the kid who got harassed (in the show) for his big lips has grown in to them. So for this age, yep it is common. Nose lengthening too :) I'm also a mature woman and my voice is about as high naturally as Ashley's which can be a bit incongruous based on expectations. But if I can speak

Her markings.. well.. personally I'm wondering how much of it is naturally occurring vs cultural markings. After all the original concept for the very first character of this species was white and she had a red veil. That veil was translated as her skin and that's how she got her specific face marking.

TCW and SWTOR seem to be the two main sources for diversity in Togruta. This pattern of lekku markings is seen in SWTOR but so was what would have been Ahsoka's markings lengthened. And there are also Shaak Ti style markings.

Given SWTOR has actually been more of a success than people realised (maybe not hoped for) a lot of people recognise Ashara as being essentially a grown up Ahsoka. I can't help but wonder if along with the need to translate to the new style they also didn't want her to look too much like Ashara. After all we did not get to see much of Shaak Ti because it was assumed it would confuse kids (I think the opposite actually- had there been more scenes with the two of them in the same frame there would have been no confusion.)

It's much colder today and I am supposed to get Elsa ready to wear for a children's festival tomorrow, so I should have time to get screen caps of All The Togruta I can.

On a practical side the headband is heavenly!!!! Seriously. So people who do twi'lek with headbands know the "joy" of wearing them. Now to those who wear lekku without a band (Darth Talon for instance) know how suddenly it's much worse. In order to hold the lekku in place you glue a very wide strip to your forehead. For togruta the front lekku help hold the whole piece in place by balancing it closer to the front of the head, but the species is usually presented with a very high join between montral base and face. It is technically about half an inch behind my hairline so I wore a bald cap totally separate to my montral. And to help with blending, it wound up covering my entire forehead and lining up with my eyebrows.

So this headband? I'll be able to sculpt a wide band of "skin" to go under it to ensure a good bond to the face and no need for a bald cap (except to protect the headpiece). But balance wise this can be put on and off with far less fuss than the traditional mature-ish type :) I put a widow's peak in my adult montral so to act as a tiny balance point to allow the montral to hang further back if needed.

Right, screen grabbing and sewing my Elsa hem again. custom dyeing an ombre hem after it was all sewn up.. sigh...

I now have the luxury of an A3 printer/scanner! It turns out I scaled slightly bigger in the print behind, it's a bit hard to get a perfect scale but I went by pupil to pupil and pupil to jaw, and it matches my cheek width as well.

This was about two hours of moving 6 pounds of clay ever so slightly more vertical and yeah. But it's working and I have enough clay to get tentacle stumps.

Accidental clay mottling is accidental.

I also have three packets of clay I didn't spot, hooray!

I need to wash my fabric so that it will work as a matte charcoal- right now the pile is too smooth and is very obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

My lekku melted off! I have a feeling it would.

Now that I have managed to get a feel for the shape in full scale 3d I can now start a much lighter alternative of expanding foam and a thin layer of clay! Good news is if I wrap my lighter head cast in glad wrap I can do this and then also test on my own body to adjust balance.

Thank you :) Yes I have those from the moment Filoni posted them XD

I've managed to grab a cast from my sculpt, hooray! But I am very allergic to epoxy and when I went to tidy up the day after I managed to get some uncured stuff on my face and arm and well... I look like I am both sunburnt and have a massive break out of many many types! So I'm giving it a few days to remove the cast and get it stabilised.

11033012_1578319559105175_180766514_n.jpg 11123790_967548779936591_2055295920_n.jpg 11137871_674076732718375_80866513_n.jpg 11093014_457071511113155_1828749076_n.jpg11085203_869436179789488_893256486_n.jpg 11023177_786085774816320_29163590_n.jpg 11008107_1018852528142216_609851672_n.jpg

So this is where I am right now :) And fighting a bug as well as a change in diet (years of medication and auto immune disease have left many basic health issues in tatters so I'm attempting a change- funnily enough from being a strict vegetarian- changes are happening I need to evaluate in a month more to see if it's all been positive). So I'm a bit shattered.

I'm hoping to wear this in Sydney at the start of June (I think, Sydney Supanova anyway) and so I have time, but I need to be very careful as I go :)

Thanks :) Only a year too late, I apologise :) But there has been more progress.
28890872023_96f9060701.jpg

#ahsokalives is a little more difficult to work now that spring has sprung. The size of this means it's very hard to see what is happening on one side or the other. So that lopsidedness is semi fixed on the back and needs me to add clay, stand back, step by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

The form twisted when I used expanding foam- that needs to be a really big warning actually- expanding foam doesn't always expand evenly and it can force a form out of shape. So this means it's been a bit tricky while adding detail clay- lots of buckled surfaces to negotiate!

No more progress on the armour. I'm playing catch up with health and projects this year still :)

29597863114_1afbb1ce9e.jpg

#ahsokalives first texture pass. I need to let it all cool so texture can be carved in. Atm it's all smooshing. Overnight will do it :) by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

30133076462_3c4f648e7a.jpg

Yes! #maleficent horn texture and #ahsokalives #togruta skin marking success! Now to do this over the entire sculptures!!!! by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

29619005364_d861646874.jpg

#ahsokalives #ahsokatano texture worked really well! My camera has low res though so had to do a close up. Next stop, #maleficent2014] by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

30288618425_01e407f54f.jpg

#ahsokatano sculpt prepping for mold making. Built up as much support out of foam as I could and melting clay while doing so. I may want to clean all of this after! Definitely will be mixing in some other colours. Purple and blue? by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

30210054041_d2844a0613.jpg

#ahsokatano from the side. Polystyrene and clay support them clay wall. That brick red? 2.5 kg. There are 2.24 pounds per kg. I think there is about 6kg of grey clay. It fills a crock pot anyway.
by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

#ahsokatano 10kg of ultracal plaster, about. 3l of water, big guess there though, and the top of. The mold is made!
by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

#ahsokatano left to rest. I checked and it is cool enough to leave it be. While it steams it is prone to cracking but this is quite cool. The towels are wet to help this cure. by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

So after a very long period of no progress I suddenly have some? It's all to do with working on my Maleficent horns. And having already cast my Draenei horns. I just built up my skill set from last time so was able to not only work faster but get texture details I have not managed before! Rounded wrinkles of a certain size have been the bane of my existence! I'm now finding them fun, so all the work that goes into them has a positive result which yeah- makes the repetitive nature soothing rather than stressful :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back