WIP - 24 Wooden replicas of the Masks from Legend of Zelda Majora's Masks

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TheWolfofBees, Aug 10, 2015.

1. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Hey Friends!

So recently I began the journey of making all 24 wearable masks from The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask from wood. I currently am 7 deep and will catch up with some of their work in progress photos as well so the whole thing is up here.

My background in making started as a kid, and late middle school/early highschool I delved into woodworking and that has been one of my main mediums ever since. The goal with these masks is to create replicas that are as though they were masks made in the real world. I am working directly from the images from the game so the designs will all be accurate however the main base for all the masks will be wood (For example the first one I did was the Bunny Hood, which probably didn't exist as wood in the world of Termina but I think you'll agree translates well to our world)

I welcome any questions/feedback/suggestions so let me know!

- The Wolf of Bees

Edit: Note I will be making these based off of the original designs from the N64 version of the game, not the updated/some changed models of the newer 3DS version as I grew up with the N64 version.
    MM-Mask-List.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Alright!

So the first "Mask" is not actually a mask at all!

Meet the Bunny Hood!
    View attachment 512949

"You got the Bunny Hood! My, what long ears it has! Will the power of the wild spring forth?"
    It all starts with some wood, this is pine. Cut up into some more manageable pieces on the tablesaw. These are simple 2x4s
    View attachment 512950

Two blocks lengthed to match the width of my head. The masks with be scaled for an adult male head as opposed to a childs.
    View attachment 512951

Lined up, spread with glue and clamped. This piece will eventually become the head band, for now we'll set that aside and move onto the ears.

View attachment 512952

I love scaled drawings and things that are perfectly mapped out. Unfortunately I find unless something is really technical I am much happpier to free hand it, I think it will also give these masks a more organic look that I'm going for.

View attachment 512953

One ear drawn and cut on the scroll saw, traced onto a second block and cut so the match.

View attachment 512954 View attachment 512955

This is the band roughly drawn on, I used a couple paint cans to get an even edge. It's purposefully offset to better reflect the face of the mask.
    Took that to the drill press to help remove some of the mass from the band.

View attachment 512956 View attachment 512957

After rough drilling to remove the material the inside is cleaned up with files/rasps.
    Next I took a saw to the outside to start shaping, both taking away material but also begin to add in the shape and bevels.

View attachment 512960 View attachment 512961 View attachment 512965

Rough shape coming together, evening out the sides and checking fit with ears.
    View attachment 512966 View attachment 512967

The same idea happens with the ears around the front in back as they have a similar curved shape.

View attachment 512968

The backs of the ears are smoothed, the indentation is added to the front.
    Now the top of the hood had a few "dimples" where the ears sit, to those are chiseled out and holes are drilled through the hole mask and into the ears so they can be attached securely.

View attachment 512969 View attachment 512970

Some final sanding, and a coat of base stain. Two holes are drilled for the eyes which I decided will be marbles! They have an awesome reflective look and reflect a little white which I think nicely animates them. Some yellow acrylic is added and then roughed up with some files and more sanding.

View attachment 512971 View attachment 512972 View attachment 512974

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  3. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Finished photos for the first mask!

The Bunny Hood.png wolfofbeesworkshop-36.jpg wolfofbeesworkshop-43.jpg wolfofbeesworkshop-51.jpg wolfofbeesworkshop-42.jpg

4. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Definitely will be watching this! Great start with the Bunny Hood :)
    Got myself a wooden replica of Majora's Mask made if you want to check it out.

5. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool! I hoped on doing something similar myself! Will be watching this with great interest!

(Also, I worked on a Majora's Mask, too. There's a thread here somewhere documenting it)

6. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Thanks! I've seen your mask and it's really something special. I also love what you're doing with the gravity gun and will continue following that one.

Thanks to you too! I'm not sure if I've seen yours but I'll take a look for some more inspiration.

---

Now on to the second mask, the Blast Mask!

Blast_Mask.png

"That's the Blast Mask, isn't it? That is a fine mask. It is filled with feelings of gratitude." - The Happy Mask Salesman

So for the second mask I decided to go with the Blast Mask, a fairly simple bowl shaped mask.
    In the game the mask has a bit more depth than I went for, but for the size I was making it it seemed to work a little better more flatly.

IMG_20150331_162747.jpg

As always starts with some wood, this is a 2x6 of pine.

IMG_20150331_164208.jpg IMG_20150331_164507.jpg

The plan was to take it over to the lathe to turn the shape but making the block a circle first really helps that process. I tacked the mask down to my table saw sled and started cutting corners! But actually, cut enough corners and you get yourself a circle!

IMG_20150331_170034.jpg IMG_20150331_171919.jpg

That new circle got taken to the lathe and rounded out into a shallow bowl.

IMG_20150331_200831.jpg

The design got free handed on making sure to overlap with the holes from where the bowl was mounted on the face plate.

IMG_20150401_121600.jpg IMG_20150401_125801.jpg

And the design gets traced with a dremel. If I need really clean edges I usually use my dremel as it can carve what I can carve by hand in a quarter of the time. The rest of the space gets chiseled/dremeled out. I liked the idea that the mask has started cracking because of the explosive power inside it. I think I may go back and re work this one as it didn't come out exactly as I was envisioning. I might add back in a bit more bowl shaped and go for some deeper more obvious cracks as opposed to the kind of squiggles I originally did.

IMG_20150401_151826.jpg

Finally a base coat of walnut stain for the paint to go on.

7. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Annnnnd the finished photos from the Blast Mask!

TheBlastMask.png wolfofbees trees-3.jpg wolfofbees trees-8.jpg blastmaskbackandfront.jpg

Next up: One of the 4 transformation masks!

ThePropBox likes this.
  8. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Wow now that was fast and unexpected, nice outcome though! :)
    Mind if I ask which camera/lens you're using for your shots? The images look amazing.

9. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Thanks again! I actually have 7 masks completed so far and am just slowly uploading them so that this thread will have all 24. I don't actually work that fast ;)

As far as the pictures, my sister is a wedding/engagement photographer and she has been doing all my finished photos for me in exchange for some woodworking. I will ask her what equipment she's using and get back to you!

---

Mask 3/24.... The Goron Mask!

Goron_Mask.png

Darmani! You... You are alive. You always did say, "I cannot die until I've eaten 1000 tons of rock sirloin!""
    — A Goron

IMG_20150419_175012.jpg IMG_20150420_150444.jpg

As per the usual we start with some wood, this is a 2x8 of pine. Free handed a rough shape and through on some features. These are just to check spacing, they will be carved over so I'm not super concerned about shape/accuracy at this point.

IMG_20150426_175739.jpg IMG_20150425_120621.jpg

The carving starts off at the back of the piece. Gouge chisels are used to create a uniform hollow across the back. The front also has a chisel treatment. The rough contours are cut out.

IMG_20150426_181121.jpg IMG_20150509_141749.jpg IMG_20150509_150557.jpg

The lines are refined so there aren't as many edges. I wanted to still keep a really chiseled wood look on this one so I made sure to leave some character. The hair piece is cut out and shaped, the feature drawn back on this time sized properly and are carved out.

IMG_20150509_151338.jpg IMG_20150509_173533.jpg

A coat of stain as a base coat and some acrylic over top!

Goron_Mask.png

IMG_20150419_175012.jpg

IMG_20150420_150444.jpg

IMG_20150425_120621.jpg

IMG_20150426_175739.jpg

IMG_20150426_181121.jpg

IMG_20150509_141749.jpg

IMG_20150509_150557.jpg

IMG_20150509_151338.jpg

IMG_20150509_173533.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  10. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

And the Goron Mask! This one I have very mixed feelings about. Over all it feels very plain, but at the same time it is a fairly plain mask to begin with. I do feel like the facial expression turned out well, I see it and it instantly stands out as a wide eyed expressive Goron. Thoughts?

TheGoronMask.jpg wolfofbees trees-12.jpg wolfofbees trees-13.jpg wolfofbees trees-14.jpg wolfofbees trees-15.jpg

11. Mr Mcgoo

Mr Mcgoo Active Member

My my, this is some seriously speedy work! And they look great too, can't wait to see all 24 in one picture.

12. clarence

clarence Well-Known Member

The ingenuity of the members on our world famous forum never ceases to amaze me. I never realised the bravery involved !!!! Walking around in a heavily wooded area wearing a pair of
    rabbit ears now that takes some testicular fortitude and the only shot fired was from a camera?

13. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Thanks friend! I can't wait to see them all together either! :D

Haha well thankfully I haven't received too many strange looks when shooting these.

So I asked my sister and she said she has a Canon 5D, Mk. III and IV lenses, but primarily uses Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4. I don't know too much about DSLRs/Lenses so I hope that means something to you!

- The Wolf of Bees

14. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Hey Friends!

Next up: The Keaton Mask!

View attachment 517650

"Is that a "Kee...something..." character mask? I heard he's very popular recently?" - Kakariko Village Guard

This was actually the second mask I started on after the Bunny Hood but I ended up scrapping the first version because it just didn't have enough of a nose! Here goes take 2.

View attachment 517652 View attachment 517653

I started off with a 2x8 of pine as the base and drew on my shape. As I had already made one attempt at this mask I actually just traced my first attempt to save time (well and because I liked the shape of my first one!) This time to ensure I would have enough material for the snout I glue a piece of 2x6 on straight away. Wood is one of those materials it's better to have too much of, cause once you cut it off it's (more or less) gone for good!

View attachment 517654 View attachment 517655 View attachment 517656

I start by carving the back on all of the masks because the sides of the back remain flat. Since it's flat it's easy to clamp well carving the front, makes thins far easier, you also don't need to worry about damaging anything sticking out on the front or denting it. Draw, Clamp, Mallet and Chisel. I have the feeling I'm gonna be sick of carving out the back of masks by the end of this.

View attachment 517659 View attachment 517660

Flipped it over and started chiseling away at the top. Important here is blending the top piece into the bottom well still keepin the right shape. Once a couple good rough passes have been made I start smoothing things out. (but not too much, I'm thinking a rough carved look will come out nice.)

View attachment 517662 View attachment 517663

Some more shaping, sanding and carving out the eyes. I wanted the eyes to be really clean and pine is very unforgiving when it comes to detail work so I opted to use my rotary tool to router them out. A coat of stain as a base coat and some black in the eyes and it's almost there!

- The Wolf of Bees

15. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

And some finished photos!

I really love the way this one turned out.

wolf o beez-1.jpg wolf o beez-4.jpg wolf o beez-8.jpg wolf o beez-9.jpg wolf o beez-10.jpg wolf o beez-11.jpg

Mr Mcgoo and ThePropBox like this.
  16. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Now for the first of 4 transformation masks: The Deku Mask!

Deku.png
    You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

This is a super iconic mask from this game... so the pressure is pretty high on this one.

IMG_20150401_172704.jpg

Starts with that good old fashioned pine. Pine really isn't the nicest of woods. It's soft, it chips and cracks easily. It is very difficult to carve details into. Pine is also really cheap, easy to find and very forgiving if you screw up. I'm using pine for all of these because it allows me to keep turning them out. I'd certainly love to carve every mask out of walnut, but for the cost I'm not sure it would be worth it. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually do a special line of masks from ocarina of time and make them with some nicer materials.

IMG_20150401_173028.jpg IMG_20150401_173343.jpg

To get the thickness I need I'm gonna double this 2" thick into one sold 4 inch piece.

IMG_20150401_173803.jpg IMG_20150401_175852.jpg

Circle cut out, glued and ready to clamp.

17. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

IMG_20150401_180606.jpg IMG_20150402_112752.jpg IMG_20150402_114817.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't grab any photos of this on the lathe. Essentially that stack on the left got mounted on a face plate and turned down into a bowl. Then it got flipped and the inside of the bowl got turned out.

IMG_20150402_131129.jpg IMG_20150402_135550.jpg

For this one the look of the eyes and size compared to the "nose" was really important to give the mask the iconic expression it wears in the game. I was a little more careful getting this one to shape with a compass and ruler.

IMG_20150402_140643.jpg IMG_20150403_141945.jpg

I grabbed a piece of scrap and turned it round on the lathe to make the nose. This got drilled out on the drill press and then clamped and drilled down.

IMG_20150403_183916.jpg

Next I took to the mask with carving tools, rasps, files, picks and sand paper and textured the whole thing adding in notches and gouges for a more deku bark texture.

IMG_20150420_195827.jpg IMG_20150420_195838.jpg

I drew than cut out on the scroll saw the deku leaves. These got carved further (unfortunately no good pictures) and then burned with a blow torch before being painted. The mask also received a first coat of stain (one of several different colours/layers to get the the right effect.)

18. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Annnnd finally I present: The Deku Mask!

WOLFbees Aug-6.jpg bitmap.jpg wolf o beez-16.jpg wolf o beez-25.jpg WOLFbees Aug-9.jpg

So the eyes. Originally I wanted to purchase real amber for the eyes to represent the living sap inside the deku mask, which I think would look incredible. Since the mask was done in pine I decided to hold off on the expense of the amber, maybe I'll remake this mask some day in a nicer wood and it will be worth it then. The eyes ended up being cast with resin and I think they turned out well just the same.

Next up: Whereever a Keaton is a Kafei is sure to be around the corner!

19. spoudastis

spoudastis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really really fantastic work. The photos do your work justice, and really give them an eerie quality which I love. They are cartoony enough but are believable as real world objects. Well done!

TheWolfofBees likes this.
  20. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Nothing like the smell of Kafei in the morning.

View attachment 523378

"That's Kafei's Mask, isn't it? The worry of a concerned mother is expressed quite well in that mask." - The Happy Mask Salesman

IMG_0145.JPG

So I drew this one up on a 2x8 and then cut out the shape on the scroll saw. Right now the drawing is just for basic dimensions not actually what will be carved (hence why one eye is way bigger than the other!)

IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0150.JPG

So to the face I too a gouge chisel and started profiling it. This one is kind of neat since the hair sits above the actual face part of the mask which means carving down beside/under the hair.

IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0157.JPG

Flipped it over and bowled out the back where you would put your face. At this point I've bowled out 6 masks (one you haven't seen yet and the bunny hood doesn't really count!) and I've got my technique down. Only takes a few minutes to get the whole thing out. You can see in the second picture I had a chip out on the bottom left, accidental but adds character and definitely not worth starting over because. I ended up just leaving it as is without smoothing it down and I think it works. You can also see in the picture I had originally roughed out the face the opposite way on the board (across the 8" part) but found that that made it too skinny for the size I wanted. so I ended up redrawing lengthwise.
    IMG_0181.JPG IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0185.JPG

Face and hair carved out then added in some grooving to make the hair a little more interesting. On goes the base coat of stain and time for some paint! I painted this one up full because of it is in the game. This mask was presumably one of several copies handed out to people looking for Kafei so I think the paint being more intact and there being less wear and tear on it fits.

---
    - The Wolf of Bees

21. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Annnd some finished photos!
    wolf o beez Aug-5.jpg wolf o beez Aug-7.jpg wolf o beez Aug-10.jpg wolf o beez Aug-11.jpg wolf o beez Aug-13.jpg wolf o beez Aug-23.jpg

This makes 6/24... quarter of the way there but still a long way to go! I also need to start figuring out a place to put these...

Next up we'll see if all of that searching for Kafei pays off! We've only got a few minutes left till midnight...

Mr Mcgoo, stigmorgan and ThePropBox like this.
  22. Mr Mcgoo

Mr Mcgoo Active Member

That Deku mask looks spot on, you are going great!

Might I ask about your technique for bowling out the masks? I'm quite intrigued. Are you using one of the round carving tools (sort of like a chisel) used on a lathe? Haven't done much turning myself and don't know what its called, so excuse my lack of knowledge.

Also how where are you going to put them? Cause I barely have room for the two masks I'm doing, let alone 24!

23. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

Don't want to interfere here but back when I made Majora's Mask and the Deku Mask I took an angle grinder and equipped it with an 60 grit sanding disk.
    This gave me the freedom I needed and for personally for me it's THE technique when hollowing out wooden blocks, etc.

Just my 2 cents :)

24. Mr Mcgoo

Mr Mcgoo Active Member

In my experience with an angle grinder I've found that the unit itself can get in the way a bit. Did you find that happening at all? Cause I'm imagining it would when you got to the inside most part of the mask (behind the eyes).

25. ThePropBox

ThePropBox Active Member

In all honesty, yes. I found myself trying to turn the mask in the whole 360° spectrum just to find a good position to carve even deeper in.
    When the angle grinder got to big I used a little air sander which is hooked up to my compressor. It has a 6cm sanding disk mounted so that's perfect for carving even deeper in the material before I started sanding the rest by hand.

TheWolfofBees and Mr Mcgoo like this.
  26. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Thanks for the feedback!

So two different answers for that. For the masks I turned on the lathe (the Blast Mask and the Deku mask) the inside was turned out. The mask was mounted with the back facing out on a faceplate. As it spins you take a chisel to the inside to hollow it out. If you're curious what that looks like there are a ton of great youtube videos on the subject, look for bowl hollowing.

For the rest of the masks, including Kafei's mask for example, I hand carve out the back using a chisel and mallet. In terms of tools the "round" or gouge chisel isn't actually lathe exclusive. Lathe work often requires gouges but there are some straight bevelled chisels that get used too. When it comes to woodworking people usually think of chisels as only the flat/straight ones used for joinery, but really there's all types and once you get into hand carving there are countless types of gouges/chisels.

So to answer your question to carve the back of the ones not on the lathe I use a gouge and mallet!

View attachment 523996

You can see in this photo here the main gouge I use for hollowing the backs is the light handled one on the left and then I use the rubber mallet you can see the head of on the right. I've been meaning to make a wooden mallet since I've been doing so much of this type of carving lately. Maybe I'll have to throw together a small Megaton Hammer for doing the rest of my zelda projects ;)

And yes space is slowly becoming an issue. Rt. now they're all sitting on my dresser but unless I start stacking them then I'm out of room there. It would be cool to make some shelving so they could be arranged as they are in the menu in the game but I'm potentially moving soon so that will have to wait!

Thanks for the question though! I hope that helps :)

Using an angle grinder is definitely an option! Unfortunately when it comes to wood I find mine just sits in a box and has been gathering dust for a few years. With how soft pine is I would be hesitant to take a grinder to it for fear of it catching and tearing the piece. For a big mask of a harder wood like in your Majora Project I can definitely see why you went that route! (I don't think I could have done the job that cleanly with an angle grinder that's for sure). I find I'm quick enough with hand chiseling that I honestly can probably clean out the back faster by hand than I could with a grinder, saves the dust clean up too. Now I do use my dremel for a lot of the detail work, pine is so soft that trying to do any sort of detail with hand chisels is borderline impossible. If I was completely smoothing the backs I would probably take a sanding disc or grinder to it to speed that up though just because 24 masks and hand sanding doesn't sound too fun, and that's coming from someone who enjoys sanding/finishing work!

Mr Mcgoo likes this.
  27. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Next up... The Couples Mask!

couple__s_mask_by_blueamnesiac-d4no2dh.png

"That's the Couple's Mask, isn't it? That is truly a very fine mask. It's overflowing with powerful feelings of love and gratitude." - The Happy Mask Salesman

Seemed to make sense that this be the next mask to complete the masks related to Kafei. (Unless of course I ever decide to do Sun and Moon masks, then I guess there's more!)

IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0186.JPG

Overall a really simple mask. The shape got cut out on the scroll saw from a 2x10. Flipped over and the back was chiseled out by hand.

IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG

Back to the front the mask gets tapered down all the way around and then cleaned up.

IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG

Spaced out and drew on the design, then offset and drew it again so it was thicker. I carved it out with a dremel because I wanted the lines to be clean. Pine and clean hand carved lines just really isn't a thing.

IMG_0196.JPG

A coat of stain as the base before painting! I also went back and carved up the mask as I wasn't satisfied with the final smooth look.

---

The Wolf of Bees

Attached Files:

28. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Annnd the final product! Part of me wants to start over each time and improve every mask, but I guess If I'm ever gonna finish these I just need to keep working!

wolf o beez Aug-1.jpg wolf o beez Aug-2.jpg wolf o beez Aug-16.jpg wolf o beez Aug-21.jpg

Any suggestions for which mask I should do next? I can say for sure I have some ideas about how to make a cool Postman's hat, but I also appreciate other ideas of which ones to do next!

---

The Wolf of Bees

29. Moloko

Moloko New Member

This is unbelievably inspiring!!! I've been meaning to set out on a quest to make the 24 as well, but have just been procrastinating too long. Congratulations on the ones you've made so far - they look fantastic! Will definitely be following your progress. Cheers!

30. TheWolfofBees

TheWolfofBees New Member

Thanks friend! In the past almost year since I posted I've had a lot of changes and so this project got put on the back burner but I am currently working on more masks again! I moved which meant I lost my shop and so all my tools were in storage for a while, now I have an awesome shop I'm renting and have been building it up since March to get back into the full swing of things. I'm going in a slightly better direction with the masks and actually be redoing all of them. The masks I was making here were just being quickly turned out and I wasn't putting the time or care into them that I ultimately wanted. The biggest thing I've been setting up over the past year is to begin filming high quality mini-documentaries about these and other projects. It's been a long time in the making but I knew exactly how I wanted to do it and knew I wasn't gonna be happy with the product unless I did it how I envisioned it but I'm finally there and and began filming yesterday. So stay tuned as I will also keep this thread up to date and with links to the videos when they come out. I'm really excited about this next stage in my life/my workshop and I think its gonna be something people here will really appreciate. The new masks will be well documented and in a much more interesting way, they are also being made from better materials and woods that actually fit the origins and history of the masks... the only way to explain it properly will just be to show it, so stay tuned- My goal is having the first one out by the end of the summer!

IMG_0879.JPG

-The Wolf of Bees

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  31. Moloko

Moloko New Member

That's super exciting! You mentioned associating the materials with the origins and history of the masks... Are you using any particular sources as reference? I love the idea of building the masks in a way that alludes to their stories. I actually JUST received a perfect piece of drift wood for getting started on the Deku mask. I think especially ideal because its a piece of wood that spent most of it's life near (or under) water ;) Anyway, would love to hear about what sources you're using for your builds :) Thanks!
    deku.jpg