WIP - 1/3 SCALE VADER

paulcarson

Mods feel free to move this if I'm in the wrong forum.

I've just started working on a 1/3 scale Vader , I saw the sideshow version and was disappointed. I'm hoping to make a full figure in the ANH style. The helmet is rough I know a few of the pieces are "off" but I'm just getting the overall shape together. If anyone has any good clear reference shots I'd appreciate it.

I'm interested in your opinions guys.

vadersculpt1.jpg

vadersculpt2.jpg

vadersculpt3.jpg

vadersculpt4.jpg

vadersculpt5.jpg

vadersculpt6.jpg

I could never take on such a project, so I commend you on being willing to taking the plunge. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Are you working from photo-reference or do you have meassurements to go by or simply using the Sideshow Vader?

:$

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I appreciate them. I still have a long way to go but I'm sure that your support will help me along the way.

To answer your questions : as I mentioned I was hoping for something a bit better from sideshow and was a bit disappointed when I saw the final figure. I'm working from photos of helmets from various members here, that I have collected and a few of the Vader pics I have from the chronicles book. I don't have measurements so if anyone could help that way I would be very grateful.

I am planning to make a full figure, I'm not sure that I want to make the clothing as I don't think that you would get the "realism" in that scale. I'm opting for a sculpted suit and separate components to add to cloth capes and tabard. The belts will be leather. I'm unsure of the pose though. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to ideas. I also plan to do it the way it was originally done. I plan to sculpt a 1/3 scale Dave Prowse head and cast the faceplate in the same way as the original was. Ambitious ? - yes. I'd also like to add a lighted saber, I've seen a nice one on a forum somewhere and hope to be able to add this to the figure.

Again, thanks for looking.

Paul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulcarson @ Apr 21 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]1230585[/snapback]</div>
To answer your questions : as I mentioned I was hoping for something a bit better from sideshow and was a bit disappointed when I saw the final figure. I'm working from photos of helmets from various members here, that I have collected and a few of the Vader pics I have from the chronicles book. I don't have measurements so if anyone could help that way I would be very grateful.[/b]

This site has some meassurements of the Classic Action helmet, which you can then scale down. Though more precise meassurements could be preferred I'd think these would be a good start. Also shows the basic shape of the face from the front and the side.
http://empireprops.freeservers.com/helmet.html

There are some shape issues with the face, but I'm confident that they will be taken care of. .)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulcarson @ Apr 21 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]1230585[/snapback]</div>
I am planning to make a full figure, I'm not sure that I want to make the clothing as I don't think that you would get the "realism" in that scale. I'm opting for a sculpted suit and separate components to add to cloth capes and tabard. The belts will be leather. I'm unsure of the pose though. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to ideas. I also plan to do it the way it was originally done. I plan to sculpt a 1/3 scale Dave Prowse head and cast the faceplate in the same way as the original was. Ambitious ? - yes. I'd also like to add a lighted saber, I've seen a nice one on a forum somewhere and hope to be able to add this to the figure.
[/b]
I was planning on doing the same thing by customizing a Kaiyodo 1:6 Vader face - the thing about making as the prop is. But, I'm a little afraid to actually start that project, since the Kaiyodo/Screamin' figure is kinda expensive and I would hate to mess it up.

There are several threads over at the RebelScum forum about how to make light-up sabers. I'd think that you could get most of your information there.

Regarding having his costume be made out of real cloth, well, it CAN be done, though, are usually made too bulky for the scale, so you would have to use thin fabrics that will emulate the look and feel of the real fabric in that small scale.

Looking forward to more updates on this.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back