Windlass Conan Swords?

Jennigirl

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As the title says, Windlass is now making licensed classic Conan movie swords.
Anyone know if these are any good?

According to their Photos it looks good, for those on the RPF with Atlantean Swords how does this Compare?
The Atlantean Sword From Conan the Barbarian - 884016 by Medieval Collectibles

Availability : Ships in 3-4 days.
The Atlantean Sword is hand-forged from 1085 high carbon steel and tempered to 52 HRC for strength. This swords has been expertly reproduced by the master craftsmen at Windlass Steelcrafts, as an exact replica of the sword used on screen from the movie Conan The Barabarian. From the intricate details on the guard and pommel, to the deep runes on the powerful blade, this is truly a masterful reproduction. The Atlantean Sword comes with a Certificate of Authenticity. The Atlantean Sword is a fully functional sword.

Key Features: Hand Forged
1085 Carbon Steel And Tempered To 52 HRC
Intricate Details On Guard And Pommel
Comes With Certificate Of Anuthenticity
Licensed From Movie Conan The Barbarian

Measurements: Overall Length: 38-7/8 Inches
Blade Length: 28-1/8 Inches
Weight: 8 lbs

The Fathers Sword:

The Father's Sword From Conan the Barbarian - 884017 by Medieval Collectibles

was wondering if they were any good myself..because as it goes there have been

1) Albion Armories who along with Jody Sampson (the original maker of the swords for the movies) created exact combat worthy swords..that would set you back several thousand dollars

2) Marto who did several different versions as far as quality...from the lower end to higher end..but still nowhere near Albion's swords

3) import knockoffs...which are very much strictly wall hangers, but have seen several that have been tweeked and looked pretty darn good...just for a prop.

4) Windlass is now doing them and they look ever bit as good as marto's stuff...but have never owned anything they have made...maybe we can get some reviews of their work from people who own some of their stuff.

now there are others out there who have made them as well, and have looked amazing. but it does give you another option none the less.

What I know about Windlass, AKA Museum Replicas, is that they at least CLAIM to know A LOT about REAL swords that were actually USED in combat, and claim to be very good at reproducing those swords. In My Opinion, they would be best as a source of historical swords for re-enactors, for wear to Renaissance Festivals, etc. Their historical swords are SUPPOSED to have the proper weight, balance, etc, true to the authentic swords they've examined, and are made to be USED.

As for their licensed stuff... the comments on the RPF have been less than kind. But the Albion Armories versions cost 10-20 TIMES the price when they were NEW, and now that they aren't being made any longer, I'm sure they're even MORE expensive today. I can and HAVE bought a CAR for what I'd have to pay for an Albion Armories exact prop recreation. So, I'd be more than happy with the Windlass or Marto versions, as I could buy a couple DOZEN for what I'd likely have to pay to get an Albion one. :eek

Jack, Albion/Filmswords.com is making the Conan swords again (both the old movie and the new one), just letting you know. They reacquired the rights when they got them for the new movie.

Marto only has stainless steel blades in their Conan swords, even in the more expensive versions. As far as I know, they are still licensed to make them.

That said, Seeing as how the Windlass Conan swords are not stainless, are officially licensed, are cheaper than Marto, are MUCH cheaper than Albion and should be better than unlicensed knock-offs, I'd like to try one out.

Of course having once owned an Albion Atlantean Destroyer, I may be disappointed, lol.

Jack, Albion/Filmswords.com is making the Conan swords again (both the old movie and the new one), just letting you know. They reacquired the rights when they got them for the new movie.

Marto only has stainless steel blades in their Conan swords, even in the more expensive versions. As far as I know, they are still licensed to make them.

That said, Seeing as how the Windlass Conan swords are not stainless, are officially licensed, are cheaper than Marto, are MUCH cheaper than Albion and should be better than unlicensed knock-offs, I'd like to try one out.

Of course having once owned an Albion Atlantean Destroyer, I may be disappointed, lol.
I could only WISH that I could own an Albion Atlantian Destroyer some day! But then I'd want the matching leather scabbard, too, which SHOULD HAVE BEEN included at the price they charged, but wasn't, and was an extra $1,000! :confused

Don't know how many people took them up on that.

The quality of Windlass swords has gone up in the last decade or two. I've got a pair of their older model coustilles, and they're serviceable weapons - a little crude, but nicely balanced and durable. People who know swords will tell you that they're great considering the pricetag, but it's important to remember that the pricetag is about 1/10 of that of the next best thing, and ~1/100 of something they'd call a collector's piece. These weapons are good beaters, but they're still beaters.

Windlass is decent steel, but there's a lot more to the Conan replicas than a serviceable blade. If you're looking for something to adorn a wall, they should serve. If you're looking for something to swing, get one of the simpler designs. I'd be hesitant to go to them for something as intricate and as richly detailed as the Conan swords, though.

Also, their scabbards are a waste of a cow's life. "Slapdash" doesn't begin to cover it.

I have the Marto Atlantean so that itch is scratched, and I prefer it not sharpened as it is just for display and occasional handling.

The Father's sword is tempting at that price, I'd rather they had a faux blade option.

I keep my firearms locked up and I don't want a functional blade of that size laying around either.

Last edited:
Those swords on museum replicas website do not look that different than the ones I bought not to long ago on amazon....I think I paid around 150$ for both.

I could only WISH that I could own an Albion Atlantian Destroyer some day! But then I'd want the matching leather scabbard, too, which SHOULD HAVE BEEN included at the price they charged, but wasn't, and was an extra $1,000! :confused

Don't know how many people took them up on that.

If you have ever seen and held the swords from Albion Arms you would immediately know the difference between theirs and the other versions. I was able to hold Conans Fathers sword when it came out 5 years ago or so and it literally floated in my hand it was so well balanced. Over the years I have picked up a number of reproductions and they are either blade heavy or they rattled when swung.

When you buy from Albion you are getting an actual combat sword that takes and holds and edge well that can also be used to cleave man or creature. The price reflects this and shows in the quality of the workmanship.

They actually sold out of all the blades they produced on the limited runs of both the Atlantean and the Fathers sword from what I am told.

I have yet to see a good guide on whats the difference between a good sword and a crap one, so I figure maybe I should say something on this topic, bear in mind this is for those that want a sword and not a wall hanger.

Information is the most important factor, obviously, find out as much as you can about the specs of the particular sword your after and do a comparison, not just in prices, but about the quality.

The main type of aspects to consider is

the tang
steel type and is it heat treated or able to be heat treated
distal taper in the thickness

There are numerous factors but these are the main ones.

First the tang- this is probably the most common thing which defines a cheap wall hanger to a real sword. Many cheap swords still use the welded on tang instead of forging one, or stock removing it as a whole with the blade together.

Fact is no matter how GOOD the weld is or how wide/thick the tang is, it will NEVER hold up to the strength as a stock removed or forged one. Albion always uses full tangs, Marto dosen't, Windlass also uses full tangs but I'm uncertain at this stage about these conan swords.

The steel and heat treatment, is another area where the sword will either retain, break, or bend its edge. Without going into too much detail in this, because its safe to say that almost all major sword makers do use a heat-treatable steel of some sort, and that the sword is actually heat treated when you buy. Some steels are better than others, but generally speaking they're all good so long as you don't hack through dried out logs, concrete slabs, rocks, use them as chisels or screw drivers, have combat sessions where its axe or maul vs sword, or hooping them to see if it will spring back, and so fourth. With this as long as its a heat treated high carbon steel of some kind, then its good.

the distal taper is something which I find is severely neglected by many people, especially ones who brag that they think they know a lot about swords because they have picked one up before and had some little social competition with it in some group.

For those that are unsure what I'm referring to, its the gradual increase of thickness of the blade from tip to the end of the tang where the pommel should be. A good robust sword should be made from stock of more or less 6mm in thickness. The thickest area should be around the tang and gradually thinning out until reaching the tip. This is what real pro's refer to about balancing the sword, and is the real difference maker between 2 swords of the same length and width, but different thickness. For example if you see a sword that has a thickness of 5.8 mm at the base and 2.8 mm at the tip, then you can safely assume that someone has put a fair amount of effort in reaching balance in that sword. If its more or less the same in thickness at both tip and base, then likely the sword also has a very large door nob sized pommel doing all the work to create the balance and making the sword very prone to breakage and very heavy at the same time. If however the blade has a tip of 2.4 mm or less in thickness regardless of what the base is, then it has been overdone. Sure the blade will feel as light as rapier but it won't hold well against even moderate blows, it will wobble heavily when struck and won't take long to break.

Albion and Windlass both put distal taper in all their swords but at no fixed ratio, some are too thin while others are still heavy, Marto puts no distal taper in their conan swords.

Final word, don't buy what you don't know enough about. Find out what you can, but if your still unsure then don't waste your money on disappointing yourselves, a higher price doesn't always mean a higher quality,

for any sword!

Also to stay on topic on my part. Have a look at kultofathena here 884017 - Conan - Fathers Sword - $229.95 ,they seem to be the only ones who actually took the time to get the measurements whereas every other site just copied and pasted, regarding the windlass version

From what I can make of it Windlass have taken castings of Marto's version, which for the record was not 100% accurate to the originals. However Marto's conan swords in my opinion were un-accurate over priced wall hangers. With Windlass they look the same as the Marto's but they have full tangs, more solid durable leather wrappings around the blade, and although a slightly thinner than average blade at under 5mm, but a distal tapered one none the less, making it almost 2lbs lighter than even the albion version. At the very least this is almost half the price of a Marto and it combat effective.

It may not be accurate but its very affordable and of the many fantasy swords, this is one of the few that can be used with comfort and fewer concerns about breakage or accidents. But as with anything I'm not 100% certain on it. Someone will have to try and see for themselves.

sword01.jpg

conanbleh.jpg

I take it pic #01 is your own atlantean? I also notice a slight shadow to the right of it. I don't suppose thats the fathers sword next to it?

I take it pic #01 is your own atlantean? I also notice a slight shadow to the right of it. I don't suppose thats the fathers sword next to it?
Now you've done it. You've summoned the trio of awesome.

I never get tired of seeing it anyway. It'll be worth it, just you wait. :love

Clutch i envy you big time i'd love an Albion Father's sword...or Atlantean. I have a Fable Father's though so can't complain. Any chance you could post a few more pics please?=)

As to the Windlass swords i was really excited when i heard this but i have since read a review on their Atlantean and man it sounds like a pile of steaming sss and an accident waiting to happen.

Clutch i envy you big time i'd love an Albion Father's sword...or Atlantean. I have a Fable Father's though so can't complain. Any chance you could post a few more pics please?=)

As to the Windlass swords i was really excited when i heard this but i have since read a review on their Atlantean and man it sounds like a pile of steaming sss and an accident waiting to happen.

No you certainly should NOT be complaining about your fable blades. Brendan makes outstanding swords that have careful meticulous detail in them. Even Albion's quality does not surpass his, as they are still assembly workers, and still do leave the occasional minor flaw in their occasional batch.

Take my word on it you have your money's worth.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back