Willow D+ Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, based on the teaser months back (haven't watched the real trailer for spoiler reasons) they have a young Madmartigan type to replace him.

Well... that genuinely made me cry. Willow has always been one of my favourite films, and this feels just like the original in all the right ways... about friendship, good-heartedness, generosity and kindness struggling against the opposite and (hopefully) triumphing. I can't wait.

Well... that genuinely made me cry. Willow has always been one of my favourite films, and this feels just like the original in all the right ways... about friendship, good-heartedness, generosity and kindness struggling against the opposite and (hopefully) triumphing. I can't wait.

Haha... I saw the trailer thumbnail show up on Youtube while perusing with my girlfriend... I got excited and asked if she'd seen the original - she hadn't...

I gave her a brief rundown of my childhood (and current) love for the original movie - then hit play...

And then she got to see for the first time what happens when I, as a 46 year old guy, roll tears over a movie trailer.

THAT SCORE.

SORSHA is STILL a bad ass.

Caught the first episode, this morning.

Sigh…a very mixed bag. I’m sure others will chime in with deeper dives regarding some of the more disappointing aspects seen, thus far.

They even ripped off a scene and dialogue from Young Guns II regarding an ancient word meaning “stop” (you’ll have to see it).

Last edited:
There’s a real knack to writing dialogue for fantasy realms…this series has none of it. They didn’t go to the extreme of antiquated, archaic dialogue; instead it’s all Marvelesque, Joss Whedon-style quips and banter and “guys” and “mom” and “****”. I also know it’s a pipe dream to ever expect a sequel to a much older piece of media to attempt to recreate the visual look of the cinematography, but personally I’d have like to have seen a less modern dynamic range, less modern saturation, more film grain. Something more in keeping with the original.

All that being said, nothing’s been so bad I won’t keep watching. I like some of the costumes, it doesn’t feel like a super cheap show like two of Disney+’s recent Lucasfilm series. The production design is mostly pretty good. It’s hard to get anyone’s name of the new characters, though, so I mostly just mentally refer to them by who else they’ve played. The girl from Solo isn’t as bad as she has been in other media, Sorsha’s son and daughter I don’t care for, but I am looking forward to the other prince, the guy who played Flash in the Tom Holland Spider-Man films, and seeing where they develop his character. The bearded rogue is fine. I’m sure he’ll have some tragic backstory that makes us sympathize with him sooner or later. Anyway, not a very strong start, but it’s something to watch. Oh, and I did like seeing the Nelwyns again, especially Mims, Willow’s daughter.

Ultimately, I worry that our media landscape has passed by the simplicity of fairy tales and swashbuckling adventure stories, where we would accept a little bit more camp in the dialogue and a little less snark and cynicism and deconstructionist meta-narratives.

Caught the first episode, this morning.

Sigh…a very mixed bag. I’m sure others will chime in with deeper dives regarding some of the more disappointing aspects seen, thus far.

They even ripped off a scene and dialogue from Young Guns II regarding an ancient word meaning “stop” (you’ll have to see it).

Also, this scene was stupid. I would have found it stupid even if I hadn’t seen your post about Young Guns before watching, but knowing it’s taken completely from a totally unrelated existing work makes it worse.

It wasn’t the best thing I’ve seen recently, but it wasn’t the worst either.

I enjoyed the second episode better than the first.

For me this comes out at a really bad time…having just had Andor finish up, and now having Wednesday available, it’s going to be hard for anything else to seem “good” in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back