Will we live to see Avatar 2 ?

1649065919392.png

Honestly I think the first Avatar was a flash in the pan. It came at the perfect time when 3D was still widely popular, and a LOT of its ticket sales came from that. In the intervening 13(!) years, 3D in the cinema is all but dead in the water (yes, I know that there are still 3D showings of movies, but nowhere NEAR what it was back then).

I have been tempted to rewatch the first film a few times over the years, but just... can't bring myself to do it. I really hope that James Cameron knows what he's doing...

SB

There is not a film I am less interested in seeing. It would have to release to rave reviews from critics and normies before I would give it a second glance at this point. The first was a visual spectacle, but failed to connect with me on any level beyond that, and now that we get a visual spectacle approximately every 3-6 months... Meh.

I'm in agreement with most of you. I didn't care for the first one at all. Sure it was pretty, but the story itself was convoluted and overcomplicated for the sake of trying to be different. I didn't catch it at the theaters because honestly, the premise didn't appeal to me. But everyone raved about how good it was and that it was some kind of masterpiece with James Cameron being the Michelangelo of film, so, I caught it when it finally streamed. I caught myself looking at my watch every few minutes wondering how much longer can this thing be?! To this day, recalling the plot is a bit hazy.
If you liked it, more power to you. But as this thread shows, there are plenty of people who could care less if there's a second one. Personally, I feel that the reason it was so popular when it first came out was because it had pretty CGI. Remember when the Phantom Menace came out? Everyone raved about it for the first six months (yeah, go back and look at the numbers on that POS!) because it was new Star Wars! Everyone was stunned by this! Then the shock wore off and people started reflecting and that's when the truth set it, that it was actually a bad movie. That's what I think happened to Avatar. Reality has set in leaving many of us scratching our heads after 13 years thinking, "Okay, exactly WHY did I like that movie?"

Again, if you're a fan, good on you. I hope that some people truly enjoyed it for what it is. I will never think ill of your opinion. I just didn't care for it and I won't spend my hard earned money contributing to the box office.

Stephen Lang's character was epic . I love the part when the marines are nuking this Million year old tree with tons of eco systems being destroyed and he simply drinks his coffee and does not flinch . I was on a date recently I was walking to my car and a tiny gum wrapper accidentally fell out of my pocket. My date screamed before I even had a chance to see it ! I thought of Langs character at that moment(y)
F3C1B954-448B-470E-A631-5EFD0BA84FE8.jpeg

Honestly I think the first Avatar was a flash in the pan. It came at the perfect time when 3D was still widely popular, and a LOT of its ticket sales came from that. In the intervening 13(!) years, 3D in the cinema is all but dead in the water (yes, I know that there are still 3D showings of movies, but nowhere NEAR what it was back then).

I have been tempted to rewatch the first film a few times over the years, but just... can't bring myself to do it. I really hope that James Cameron knows what he's doing...

SB

Unfortunately, the first Avatar was an early example of flash over substance. The story was horrible and the only thing anyone went to see it for was the CGI. Now, that's how most movies are. Crap writing, big-budget effects.

It's why I don't see a lot of movies these days. Simply not interested.

I still remember when a month or so before the release of the first one, people who had supposedly seen it were saying "it was going to be the biggest flop in history."

I'm also old enough to remember reading in the trades about how "James Cameron was finished" after he forced Fox and Paramount to delay Titanic from July to December - well after the promos, posters and cardboard cutouts were in the theaters.

The point is: never underestimate Cameron. He's good at Universal appeal (aka $$$$).

I liked Avatar, thought it was fun, but never fun enough to watch it over and over, like some other films.

I still remember when a month or so before the release of the first one, people who had supposedly seen it were saying "it was going to be the biggest flop in history."

I'm also old enough to remember reading in the trades about how "James Cameron was finished" after he forced Fox and Paramount to delay Titanic from July to December - well after the promos, posters and cardboard cutouts were in the theaters.

The point is: never underestimate Cameron. He's good at Universal appeal (aka $$$$).

I liked Avatar, thought it was fun, but never fun enough to watch it over and over, like some other films.
Cameron is a guaranteed money maker. I don't think I've ever seen him make a movie that's bombed. Some stinkers in the writing department? Absolutely! I found The Abyss dreadfully boring even if the effects were amazing, and Titanic for as iconic as it is, has some awful dialogue moments. It's hard to imagine that the same man what wrote the iconic line "Gentlemen, it has been a privilege playing with you tonight" also wrote the rest of that movie's dialogue.

But to say that this movie won't make money is absurd. Avatar may have had a lousy story, but it was the next level in visual effects. How many visual effect heavy movies out there still look as good over a decade later as Avatar does? And as lousy as the story was (in reality, consider how many of Cameron's stories all share the same "star crossed lovers" plot - Terminator, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar), the world building was magnificently in depth. Cameron, as usual, created a world we could believe to exist. That level of immersion, to me, is worth 20 bad stories. And let's face it, film is a visual media. You can forgive a wonky story is the visuals are distracting good enough. 2001: A Space Odyssey is proof enough of that. The movie is very visuals heavy with a very WTF story, yet is one of the most pervasive classic science fiction movies ever made.

There's a reason Fox trusted Cameron enough to let him to make the next 4 sequels all at once.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back