I currently have so many modifications to this coat pattern that I will need to do a step by step tutorial on just these changes. I describe his coat as being an American Cowboy Gamblers long coat, with Sea Captain's cuffs and buttons. All of the flouncy is missing, this coat hangs nearly straight down, folds back and tucks easily behind his knife on one side and sword on the other side without creating any bulk at all. There are no expansion materials added, no gathers, no pleating. Even the Kingdom Hearts version is FAR flouncier and dress like than the screen coat. It is like an eduardian gentleman's casual, not cold weather attire, coat but with the ornamentation of a captain's coat.
20221125_124740.jpg

I trimmed 9.5 inches of extra off both sides from front and back. That is nearly 40 inches of girth. And now it hangs correctly. All that to say, I will do a complete pattern walkthrough when I am no longer wildly changing it daily.

Is this coat long enough compared to the movie one?:unsure:
No, and my apologies, I should have mentioned I was showing it only for reference to how striaght it is hanging and how that matches the more to Will's than the way Jack's hangs. Jacks is bulky and has much additional material.

Just a quick update: coat is killing me. I sewed both sleeves in the same order... which means both were of a right arm. Then I fixed that and immediately sewed the right arm to the left side. Somewhere in this is a joke about RIGHT ARM but really I am just happy I did basting/running stitches instead of finish stitching so it was easy to pull out. Yay for back up plans and built in emergency safety features. I am not a great tailor but I am a damn picky customer so I don't settle for my own mistakes. Pics soon, hopefully by Sunday. Coat only. No big promises on full suit yet. But soooooo close now.

Oh and Singer's cloth marking pencils are no joy. DO NOT BUY THEM. They are at least twice as hard as a number 2 lead pencil. They do nothing but bore a hole in the fabric. I tested one on paper and could barely get it to leave a mark.... that is damn hard for a pencil. Regular color pencils would be softer. I will be purchasing disappearing ink soon.

It is funny that I spent all the time cutting patterns not using the pencils and when i needed to add just a few dots, I find out my 7 dollar pencils are crap. Thanks Singer.

Just a quick update: coat is killing me. I sewed both sleeves in the same order... which means both were of a right arm. Then I fixed that and immediately sewed the right arm to the left side. Somewhere in this is a joke about RIGHT ARM but really I am just happy I did basting/running stitches instead of finish stitching so it was easy to pull out. Yay for back up plans and built in emergency safety features. I am not a great tailor but I am a damn picky customer so I don't settle for my own mistakes. Pics soon, hopefully by Sunday. Coat only. No big promises on full suit yet. But soooooo close now.
I'll start with excuses: I have been sick for nearly 2 weeks now and have medication for the same. So I am blaming both. After finally creating one left and one right arm (started with two right) and putting them on and taking them off and then putting them on the opposite sides, aka the correct way, I have now discovered that the righty lefty thing has come back to haunt me and my cuffs are sewn on backwards. My current look is not so much Will Turner but rather "Priests of the Silver Moon". However, as luck would have it, I am needing to recut the cuffs anyway as yet another difference from pattern has become apparent in the width and height of the cuffs.
20221130_105320.jpg

Insert golden chalice and we have embarked on a new quest.

Last edited:
I thought I got quite a bit done today and then it turned out I really just did a lot of customizing the sleeves.

This coat is a total kick. The cuffs are rectangles, no flare, so no match to the pattern. The sleeve is very skinny, like a modern coat with only a slightly open cuff. So not even close to pattern. I trimmed the sleeve now, as well. And as I continued to fight with how this lovely thing was going to look right at the collar (the pattern has no collar and has a rounded chest to neck transition) I noted two things: the collar stands straight up his neck at the front muscle of the neck and at the same time aligns with the line of buttons. HOW????

Now, I won't play coy with you to see if you will guess what is going on here but will instead lay it out. THIS COAT DOES NOT MEET IN THE MIDDLE.

It never did. Will's coat is so custom in this manner that it truly is not historic nor even plausible as a real coat. I had noticed how when the bottom flares in the wind, it shows so very little material flapping in the breeze but yet from the front it looks like, even when pulled drastically to the sides, it builds up no folds or bulk. As seen in pics from the back, this little bit of tail exposes one whole side of Will when it flips up, so it is the only thing there. There isn't more in an ancillary flap. This is because it is actually cut in the shape that it hangs on him, custom, for movie purposes only, not a real coat or at minimum, it is a marching band leader's open front dress coat. I finally started looking at the front upper chest and shoulder. With little to no folding it only reaches barely to the muscle that connects the skull to the collarbone.

This is all easier to see once you realize it is there. My brain just kept assuming all coats can button closed. But in the shoulder with no room to stretch, this coat would leave at least a 3 to 4 inch gap between front halves. Note there is no more stretch available in the chest to shoulder...

20221130_231926.jpg

That is not going to close, it barely makes it to his nipple. If this picture showed major folds, sure, but there are no folds, it is flat at the shoulder.
Screenshot_20221130-231323_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221130-231637_Gallery.jpg

See how the buttons show straight vertical not being pulled back at an angle? They started three inches away from center and go straight down. So now I will finish the coat front to match screen and knowing what they did, I too can have my button row line up with the end of his standup collar. For those that are truly visual learners, imagine this collar closes no more than an Irish Torc and yet the line of buttons drops straight down from that point. Not possible in a coat that would close. But I am always open to being corrected, so give me your thoughts.
20221130_233445.jpg

Attachments

• 20221130_230639.jpg
    20221130_230639.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Welcome to Hollywood costume design :lol: You're right on every points(y) Looking closely at numerous pics; this coat cannot be buttoned and closed properly: not enough fabric to do so. It's almost like a long tail smoking jacket...It looks cool on screen for sure.
It comes to a simple decorative element and not a practical one at that.

I got the collar mocked up, cut, sewn, fitted and attached. I even found the very custom, not square angle of the collar end and rehand stitched a finished end. I really like the current shape so I will tack on some of the button holing ribbon to keep the button flaps in place as they are currently. I need to attach the pocket flaps, add buttons and hem the bottom. The button hole decoration will take the longest so still a ways to go.

Yes, the buttons will be a breeze to sew...not so much all those "Loopy Loops" around themo_O As another observation, apologies if you've discussed that detail already:unsure:...I noticed (pics that you've just posted above) that his sleeves are "pinched" together at the top of the chest to the, almost, top of each sleeve...;)

Yes, the buttons will be a breeze to sew...not so much all those "Loopy Loops" around themo_O As another observation, apologies if you've discussed that detail already:unsure:...I noticed (pics that you've just posted above) that his sleeves are "pinched" together at the top of the chest to the, almost, top of each sleeve...;)
I was talking to a coworker about something similar but I had not noticed what you are pointing out. So, yet another spot where the "staged look" is sewn in. Are you pointing out the unnatural pinching and folding as though the entire chest area is pulled to the sides like as if he were laying on his back and the coat was bunching up by gravity?

Last edited:
Confirmed, both sides have that same pinch in the same spot. Totally unnatural and definitely staged to keep his chest bare. I showed my wife what you just pointed out and she laughed and said "Sure, to make his chest look bigger."

THANK YOU!!!!!. I will get this added.

Yep, and also the opened red shirt is putting emphasis on the chest for sure;)
I found two more prominent tack points. His shirt is pulled open as you mentioned and very unnaturally bunches up at the shoulder which is the opposite of what it would do. If anything it would bunch up against the neck where the shirt's weight hangs over onto the chest. The second is the two hip points that are magically holding the coat back off his hips and legs. I think this one might not be used in the reunion scene as the coat does move much more forward in that scene. I had thought the knife and sword were used for this but on closer inspection it is just pinned there. The sword isn't even in the frog in this scene and the frog is on the outside of the coat, certainly not holding the coat back.

A little pause for now. I am awaiting a specialty cording foot "double piping foot" for my sewing machine to put on the keyhole piping behind every button. My attempts on scrap, without the new foot, were horrifying. Will await the proper tool before moving on these. But it gives me time to build in these staged pinch points.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back