Will 4 layers of UV film protect latex/polyurethane prop from LED strips?

Qui Gon Jinn

Hello everybody,

I have 30 year old prop made out of polyurethane and I have it on display in my cabinet.
I installed LED strip OUT of the cabinet glass so there's no heat, but it's still around 7 inches from prop itself.
I put UV film on the glass and I put 3 layers of that film under the LED strip.
I would like to know is that enough for perfect protection for my prop,because I really love it and I want to preserve it as best as possible.
Also how long may I have lights turned ON,because I usually keep it for 5 minutes every few days?

Here is link from film I used:

Every comment is welcome!

LEDs typically don't emit UV, unless they're specifically designed to (planters, reptile tanks etc). Check the strips you're using to know for sure, but if they're just for general illumination they should be safe to have on as long as you want.

UV is an issue with CFL bulbs.

White LEDs emit very very little UV light, usually unmeasurable outside a lab. Most of the time you don't need to even worry about it. Glass on its own will stop some wavelengths. And that film looks good enough for a museum with just one layer.

Yeah, some LEDs can emit a little UV (and they may not be marked as such), so you can't be too careful.
That UV film claims to block 100% of UV thought, so you should be more than covered, especially if you are using layers of it on the LEDs, and on the cabinet glass itself.

If you have exterior windows in the room, couldn't hurt to put a layer of UV film on them as well. UV light from the sun can pass through curtains. (but at least you have it on the cabinet, so that area should be covered...)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back