Wii U - a retrospective

KrangPrime

Master Member
since everyone seems to think that 2016 will be the release of the NX...what are your thoughts?

As far as graphics go, I don't see them getting any better than the Wii U or XBox one. I'm getting wowed less and less with each generation, because there isn't that much of a difference.

What I WOULD like to see is better controller implemintation. THe only use the Gamepad has, is to be able to play certain games away from the TV. but this doesn't seem available for all games. mostly mario and virtual console. some you still need the TV for, like older Wii games. and speaking of older games, I'd like to see ALL games be playable with the game pad. yes, it'd be sad to loose the motion control from the nun chuck....but it'd be GREAT not to have 10 different controllers laying around so I can play all the VC games the way they where meant to be played. I actually play things less because of all the controller choices.

Also, the battery on the gamepad needs to be improved. I find myself plugging it in every day now....to the point that I just leave it in and don't bother with it at all.
And, the Wii sensor remote NEEDS to be built in to the next system somehow. having one less wire around the place is a godsend these days.

As for actual games...I'd like to see more franchises that are new, and more sequels spread across the consoles. we got two Zelda games on the NES. 3 mario games....etc. its nice they upped the quotient on mario games at least this time around.

But, my actual gaming over all has decreased since the N64. I just don't CARE For big open, explorable worlds. when my time on this world is becoming less with each decade, it just feels like a big time waster. I STILL haven't started skyward sword. the first ten minutes involve you rescuing a cat. and the next involve you trying to find your flying creature......oh my god.....get to the game already! what works in japan might not work in the rest of the world. and the rest of the world is bigger than the Japanese audience. last zelda game I remember having fun with was the cell shaded zelda, wind waker.

those are my thoughts.. what are yours?

I hate the Wii U gamepad with an absolute passion, especially when trying to use it to watch something streamed online. It is absolutely awful in every conceivable way, I always want to throw it out the window, I get so frustrated with it playing things I don't want and refusing to play things I do. I have yet to play a game that uses it well, I don't want to have to constantly switch my attention from the TV to the small screen and back again. If future Nintendo systems use this again, I'm not buying.

How is it for a portable system?

I was thinking of getting a handheld for the downtime I have at work and neither the vita nor the 3ds interest me that much?

Are you able to play most of the games using the game pad? zelda?

Yeah, the tablet pad was atrocious. I bought my Wii U only as a spur of the moment purchase when they suddenly dropped the system price and bundled Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros. with it. Having to buy another controller to actually play, and a ethernet adapter to go online (seriously Nintendo, SERIOUSLY!?) was a bit face-palmy. I haven't got much use out of the system, but the upcoming open world Zelda game 'could' be good.
If I do get Nintendo's next system, it's likely only going to be a spur of the moment purchase during a discount sale, and only if there is something on it I really want to play. Mario Kart was the only thing that got me to get a Wii U.

First, I highly doubt NX is coming in 2016.

What I'd like to see from Nintendo for their next console is a return to basics. I applaud them for being the only real game play innovators in the field for the past 10 years but forcing things like motion controls and controller screens is a bit much. Give us a powerful system capable of handling all the 3rd party titles as well as the Pro controller as the standard controller for the system (LOVE that controller, just make the triggers actual triggers and you're set) and I think you'd have a real contender. No one can even touch the value of Nintendo's exclusive content so imagine that as well as all the third party stuff? Wow.

Graphic improvements get less and less impressive as they progress as seen in this example:

attachment.php

So for me that's not the big thing anymore, it's the content.

As far as the Wii U goes, it was (and still is) a fantastic system with great content. It remains the primary console in my house. Sadly it was TERRIBLY marketed and was under powered so third party games once again avoided the system. The game pad was neat, and convenient in my house because my kids, wife, and I could play multiple systems (especially convenient around Christmas when multiple people get new games and all want to play). There were a few games that used it VERY well, I love local multiplayer with two screens so you can't spy on each other and it was used to great effect in Nintendo Land. Overall though, most games just use it as a map or menu screen. Admittedly it's handy but not a requirement. Where it really excelled though was with things like the web browser. Easily the best interface of any console and helped greatly by the pad.

I'd like the pad to be an option for the next system, but not forced on us. As for the sensor bar, you know you can get a wireless one right? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

and a ethernet adapter to go online (seriously Nintendo, SERIOUSLY!?) was a bit face-palmy.

It's got built in wireless. I've never had to plug mine in???

Attachments

• 5556544+_dffedf293ccbe223a8cd3967454c0dad.png
    5556544+_dffedf293ccbe223a8cd3967454c0dad.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 414
I love my Wii U, and it really shines for me not only for its compatibility with old hardware (GC controller, Wiimote) but the Virtual Console games are great and I really like revisiting games that are on "obsolete" systems. I've probably spent a good 75% of my solo playtime using the gamepad off TV while my SO is using it. I too would like to have seen more support for the gamepad from wii games, but I understand why it doesn't work. My only wish is that it would have natively supported GC games without having to use homebrew on the wii channel. I've got an XB1 in addition to the wii, and while the XB may be more "next gen" it leaves me a little cold that I can't use wired 360 controllers on it, and that it's taken them a couple years to roll out backwards compatibility.

I do wish that Nintendo would plan their Zelda games better, because Zelda Wii U is starting to feel like Twilight Princess, being released on the tail end of a console's lifespan. Hopefully it'll be a great game and use the Wii U to the fullest, but it still seems like they need to get the hardware and software sides of the business in line. At a glance it can seem like the only choice for games is something Mario based, even Captain Toad is a spin off, so it would have been nice to see some more flagship entries (and honestly I'm probably forgetting some)

How is it for a portable system?

I was thinking of getting a handheld for the downtime I have at work and neither the vita nor the 3ds interest me that much?

Are you able to play most of the games using the game pad? zelda?

You have to be within 20' of your console for it to work, so not really portable unless you want to use it within, say, an apartment. I have both a Vita and a new 3DSXL. Both are great although sadly it seems Sony has all but dropped the Vita and is treating it like a legacy system. There are a lot of good games on each though so I'd recommend checking one out.

I haven't turned my Wii U on since about three days after I got it. I should've known better, the original Wii was the same thing for me.

I haven't turned my Wii U on since about three days after I got it. I should've known better, the original Wii was the same thing for me.

Launch titles were pretty damn sparse. It's a shame though, some titles I highly recommend:

- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- New Super Mario Bros Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World
- Mario Kart 8
- Captain Toad
- Super Smash Bros
- Hyrule Warriors
- NES Remix 1& 2
- Splatoon (although online play is wasted on me and it really revolves around that)

Sadly though that illustrates Nintendo's problem. All first party titles.

I will say though, as a person who has only the mildest interest in FPS and doesn't play online I like the dual screen local multiplayer on COD Black Ops II.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. I have a private office so distance is not an issue.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

In which case a lot of games will work on just the pad alone. However you can't play Wii titles on there and some games require the dual screens.

Oh man.

I just went into best buy and was so disappointed. They barely had any 3ds titles and about 6 psvita games...and they didn't even have the console!

I checked out the wii u and you're right. It's not comfortable.

Maybe I'll just pull out my old ds

Oh man.

I just went into best buy and was so disappointed. They barely had any 3ds titles and about 6 psvita games...and they didn't even have the console!

Funny, never seems to be an issue with 3DS stock anywhere I go. Sadly though 6 Vita games is actually GOOD stock for a store. :(

Funny, never seems to be an issue with 3DS stock anywhere I go. Sadly though 6 Vita games is actually GOOD stock for a store. :(
I have the feeling that no matter what I get, I'll end up playing more download able retro content than anything.

I have the feeling that no matter what I get, I'll end up playing more download able retro content than anything.

They're great for that. :thumbsup

Not sure with the modern systems but you can mod a PSP to play rom sets.

Cool. Do you know if either of them have Sega games? Either genesis or master system?

Nintendo Virtual Store has some old Sega titles, not sure about the PS Store. As for a modded console I'm pretty sure it'll play any rom set you like. I use a modded Wii to play all the Master System, Genesis, NES, SNES, and Gameboy titles but that's not portable.

I've gotten a lot of good use out of my Wii U. Bayonetta 1 and 2 was a treat, Splatoon is extremely fun and Mario Maker is going to be one heck of an experience. You know what I mean? It's the kind of thing I've always wanted to do. Make Super Mario Bros. 3 levels. We should have an RPF level making challenge.

In which case a lot of games will work on just the pad alone. However you can't play Wii titles on there and some games require the dual screens.

You can use the gamepad as an off TV screen for wii games though, you just have to use a wii controller to actually play it. Certain wii games don't even require the sensor bar so that is pretty nice too. (at least LoZ:TP and LoZ:SS don't)

It's not perfect implementation but it is nice

I bought a WiiU to play Nintendo's first party games, the same reason I bought a Wii, and a Gamecube before it. The "Nintendo" hasn't been my main console since the N64, because frankly even then 3rd party support was drying up in favor of Sony and then Microsoft.
All that having been said, there isn't a developer on this planet who makes games with the level of finesse, polish, and outright ****ing GLEE for video games like Nintendo does. So long as the house of Mario keeps doing it's thing I'll be there to support it.

I've gotten a lot of good use out of my Wii U. Bayonetta 1 and 2 was a treat, Splatoon is extremely fun and Mario Maker is going to be one heck of an experience. You know what I mean? It's the kind of thing I've always wanted to do. Make Super Mario Bros. 3 levels. We should have an RPF level making challenge.

We totally should. Mario Maker ought to be a blast.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back